U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 01:44 PM

6,542 posts, read 1,344,624 times

Advertisements

I am 65, and I started letting my hair grow out to its natural state about five years ago. I now have white wings and a naturally slightly frosted look, and it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I like no longer spending my time and money to try to look younger than my age.

OTOH, my mom is an active 86, and she still has her hair dyed professionally to a pretty brunette color, even though, in my opinion, it definitely does not look natural or even flattering to her now. I do think that if it makes her (or anyone else) feel better to color their hair, no matter what their age, then I say, "Go for it!" -- but I am just wondering how many of you color your hair in your senior years.

So, if you are a senior and (still) color your hair, how long do you think you will continue to do so?

And if you don't still color your hair, how old were you when you stopped doing so if you ever did?

Last edited by katharsis; 05-22-2019 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,769 posts, read 54,408,375 times
I'm 66 and have never colored my hair. It's "salt and pepper" but with more salt than pepper in the beard. My only real issue was when I started to get an odd gray hair in my eyebrows. They stick out like a sore thumb. I prefer having a full head of mostly gray than a younger brother who is going bald. My Mom is 89, and still has dark brown hair, has never had to color it.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:57 PM

5,393 posts, read 21,388,001 times
My gray came in uneven so I started coloring my hair in my fifties... still do it. It takes a few minutes once a month and I like it better than gray.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:03 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,429,825 times
I never colored my hair to cover gray. I added highlights now and then when I was in my 20's and early 30's, but that's about it. Haven't colored it since. I like my natural hair color which is more white than gray. Edited to add - I just noticed you were asking those over 70...my bad. I'm in the mid 60's.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:06 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,689,130 times
Smile See below

My FIL's sister was 92. Still did it.

Passed away that year and 2 days before, she had her hair done.

Loved her.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:10 PM

6,756 posts, read 3,857,072 times
I still color mine and have no plans to quit. I do it myself and have for so long that it's no biggie. I've always looked better with slightly warmer hair color than my natural brown, though I use lighter color now that I'm 71. For me it's not an attempt to look younger & I don't. But I do look nicer and less "harsh".

Old 05-22-2019, 02:22 PM

480 posts, read 323,377 times
I quit coloring my hair when I turned 60. I like my gray hair but gray doesn't look good on everyone.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:47 PM

231 posts, read 97,135 times
I'm 65 and have really long hair. I put "semi-permanent" do-it-yourself color in it every 3 to 6 months (varies, I'm not super religious about it.) It's the kind of color that's supposed to wash out after 20 shampoos or some number like that. It adds more like a tint to my hair than dramatically changing the color. Since it fades on its own I don't end up with any kind of line where new hair grows in at the roots. If I had to deal with that level of maintenance I would definitely not put color in my hair.

My hair is so many different colors already just on its own. It's dark brunette underneath, blond on the sun-exposed parts, some grey-ish, white-ish peppered into the blond hair. I'd have sort of one of those grey blazes if the sun-lightened hair wasn't already so blond... it's kind of hard to see the blaze even without hair color.

I'm not sure what I'll do with it in the long run. Right now I tend to like freshening up the color a bit even if it's just temporary color and only done a few times a year. It costs $6 and is easy to do.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:49 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,530,997 times
I had my hair highlighted into my early 60s to blend it in as I greyed until it occurred to me the stylist was putting low lights and high lights in. So I let it go natural and am happy with my mostly silver with white strips.

I resolved not to color my hair when my face started showing my age (now 67).IMO ladies who color their hair past a certain age/aging point are calling adverse attention to their aging faces.

On another subject I was tempted to buy one of those airbrush make up kits because that is the real problem. The face. not the hair. But there were so many negative reviews I didn't.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:51 PM

294 posts, read 149,075 times
Default ...Blinded by the Light...

The elder women at my synagogue colour their hair. The older they are the more garish the appearance. Jet black, flaming orange. rich red, deep earthy brown, bright blonde, quick silver. They look like something out of Those Fearless Vampire Killers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or