Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 10:05 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This is why I switched. Not so much we can’t afford the service. But to give the cable company a kick in the butt, make them provide a better alternative and make them competitive. That’s all about business in America. Stay relevant, innovative, or die the way Blockbusters did.
Bingo. I got tired of the "special deals" that went away, the price increases, and the new special deals they'd come up with to keep me captive; having to drive 30 miles to drop off equipment if I cancelled my account; clueless "support" personnel; getting the "yes, it's $200 per month BUT you'll get 2,000 channels with this package and you can watch 20 football games at once on FOUR DIFFERENT TVs!" pitches.

Charter Spectrum is offering a streaming deal here - but not as many channels as Youtube TV, and no cloud DVR (unlimited DVR with Youtube). Plus I had to exchange my Spectrum router at their local store, and the person behind the counter was unfriendly and unhelpful. Hopefully the competition will make them up their game on their TV packages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 11:28 AM

307 posts, read 210,765 times
Having cable TV is one of those things that those posters who feel superior smugly criticize those of us that admit to having financial problems(Along with the latte,avocado toast and IPhones).

My Comcast Bill(The Only game in town other than ATT)is already at $200/month.

For that I get 220 channels including Starz,voice with long distance calling and 150 Mbps download speed internet,plus wi-fi router and HD DVR service that I can watch my recorded TV shows from any location. Up to 2 years ago I was actually able to watch live TV and program my DVR from remote locations also,but Comcast got sued by TIVO and they had to stop having that f eature. I also have 3 DTA's that are costing me $7 a month each,for my various VCR connections
in different areas of my apartment..(Various Vcrs?...I know).I love my Xfinity DVR so I'll probably return the DTA's at my next renewal and save myself 10% of the bill right there.
It is annoying to have to play that "retention department" game every 2 years;being required to have payments directly deducted from credit/bank accounts:and no matter what, you end up paying just a bit more than the previous arrangement albeit for more features.
The worst thing for me is the those Regional Sports and Broadcast TV Fees that are currently $19
of the $200 bill.I hate sports and just don't care about any.
It is wonderful to be able to access YouTube,Netfilx and Amazon Prime from the Xfinity remote control..but of course you have to also be subscribed to Netflix/Amz which I am. So that's an extra $10 + $14 for AMZ/Netflix. I'm also familiar with stuff like Kodi and Mobdro.
It may sound excessive for some of you,but considering that I'm a basically a shut-in,that's my entire entertainment budget.I don't go to movies,concerts,restaurants,Etc.
CNN/FOX/MSNBC are always in the background whenever I'm in the apartment..I just can't imagine putting my head in the earth like an ostrich and living without being informed of what;s going around. Those people that claim that they haven't watched TV since 1956 probably just spend a lot of time in forums like this.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:29 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
You need a streaming service that duplicates what you get with cable.

YouTube TV

Sling TV

DirectTV NOW

PlayStation VUE

FUBO

Hulu LIVE

In most cases these services will be about half what you're paying for cable.
Which one carries all the NFL games?

Old 05-25-2019, 11:58 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post

This is why I switched. Not so much we can’t afford the service. But to give the cable company a kick in the butt, make them provide a better alternative and make them competitive. That’s all about business in America. Stay relevant, innovative, or die the way Blockbusters did.
What 'better alternative' are you looking for the cable provider to provide?

Comcast is fantastic - and it has instituted great innovative creative new features and changes during the past two years - which makes it fantastic to use - great ease of use and great organization and great features -

without all the problems of something like Sling which has audio and visual syncing problems, and problems of other streaming services which have trouble with fading in and out, buffering, and numerous other annoying problems with streaming service,

along with needing to put together a patchwork of subscriptions for those with varied interests which end up not saving much money and you end up with limitations and lack of great features. (cost when you add together internet, TV streaming subscription(s), and sometimes phone).

The idea that one is so hip and so 'with it' and seeking to be seen that way and seeking to jump on a bandwagon and seeking to look savvy and superior is misguided.

As an aside, one does not need to drive 30 miles to drop off cable boxes or pick them up or do anything whatsoever by driving and driving 30 miles away - the cable boxes can easily be mailed back to a cable provider. (and Comcast provides the box in which to mail it plus the postage and USPS picks it up at your home). And Comcast mails a new modem, a new cable box, and a new remote (with voice activation) to your home, if requested.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-25-2019 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 12:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Having cable TV is one of those things that those posters who feel superior smugly criticize those of us that admit to having financial problems(Along with the latte,avocado

CNN/FOX/MSNBC are always in the background whenever I'm in the apartment..I just can't imagine putting my head in the earth like an ostrich and living without being informed of what;s going around. .

You don't have to pay for cable to watch the news every day. It's free in many places online, as are many TV shows. Free is good, nothing smug about free.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What 'better alternative' are you looking for the cable provider to provide?

Comcast is fantastic - and it has instituted great innovative creative new features and changes during the past two years - which makes it fantastic to use - great ease of use and great organization and great features -

without all the problems of something like Sling which has audio and visual syncing problems, and problems of other streaming services which have trouble with fading in and out, buffering, and numerous other annoying problems with streaming service,

along with needing to put together a patchwork of subscriptions for those with varied interests which end up not saving much money and you end up with limitations and lack of great features. (cost when you add together internet, TV streaming subscription(s), and sometimes phone).

The idea that one is so hip and so 'with it' and seeking to be seen that way and seeking to jump on a bandwagon and seeking to look savvy and superior is misguided.

As an aside, one does not need to drive 30 miles to drop off cable boxes or pick them up or do anything whatsoever by driving and driving 30 miles away - the cable boxes can easily be mailed back to a cable provider. (and Comcast provides the box in which to mail it plus the postage and USPS picks it up at your home). And Comcast mails a new modem, a new cable box, and a new remote (with voice activation) to your home, if requested.
I’ve been their customer for 12 years, I was willing to pay $160, they raised the price to $169, I even asked them if I lock in for two years would the price be cheaper, they said no. The better alternative for me is cheaper cost. I don’t watch TV a lot, but my husband does, mostly the sports channel.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:26 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Which one carries all the NFL games?
Some of us here, and I am one of them, could care less about watching any NFL game for as long as we live.

Ditto for baseball golf or basketball. I am just not interested, not one bit.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:53 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,178 times
We cut the cable except for internet service. The savings is very significant. I don't miss it generally, as we have a good antenna. Only problem is that we live in a low area, so at times (usually midnight or so) the picture starts to pixelate. It's good though...gets me to go to bed.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:59 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
No, no one on here has ever cut the cable TV. Next silly question....

Old 05-25-2019, 02:00 PM

671 posts, read 1,117,876 times
I didn't get internet or cable tv until I turned 66. So I am not as jaded as some. It is still a shiny new toy to me. The tv portion of my bill (1/3) is $54.
I did buy a firestick since my renewal with Verizon gave me a year of Amazon prime. I have only watched 3 movies in 6 months but I have watched some old tv programs.
It is my phone landline that is making me crazy. Robocalls are 99% of the function. But I need it for some things. 911 etc.
The shocking confession..I do not have a cell phone. I could not get a signal half the time or it was not charged when I needed it. Now after a year I am balking at the cost of a phone. Can't upgrade to Apple-huge cost. Can't make a decision on anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement