U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 02:16 PM

1,775 posts, read 390,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
CNN/FOX/MSNBC are always in the background whenever I'm in the apartment..I just can't imagine putting my head in the earth like an ostrich and living without being informed of what;s going around.
You ever read a newspaper? Honestly, those 24/7 news networks aren't required to be knowledgeable to about what's going on in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 02:59 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Today I received my new AT&T bill and it jumped nearly $100 to $228.27 and I am ticked!

Yes, I had a two year contract that just ran out but there is no way I am going to spend that much on internet and cable television every month.

And I don't get anything special... no HBO, Showtime or anything else just straight cable television.

So... looking to cut the cord and my big question is to see if anyone else >50 cut the cord and how do you feel about it?

I can get high speed internet with download speeds up to 100 Mbps for less than $40.

I bought two Amazon firesticks today and I have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

$228.27 is insane. Just nuts.

Anyone else use Fire Sticks?

PS Thanks for letting me vent.... $228 is over half a car payment and that's nuts.... grumble... grumble....
Yes that is insane. There are streaming services that offer various levels of channels and an antenna will give you locals. You can get a pretty good package for $40 a month and can even spend less if you donít watch much. Lots of free channels as well.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:11 PM

1,621 posts, read 1,913,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
When I've looked at the sports available on cable and that on these various streaming services it did not appear we could duplicate cable's offerings and definitely couldn't duplicate the ease.

But that was two years ago. If something has changed, we'd give it a go.
It depends on several things:

What sports and teams do you want to watch?

Does your cable company offer a sports channel, that is exclusive to them, and them alone? For example, in certain cities and regions, the cable company owns the regional sports network and has the broadcast rights to some or all of the professional teams in the region. You have to subscribe to that cable system to get the games. In that case, a streaming service won't work for you.

Not all streaming services have all the sports channels. But that is also true with cable.

So it's an individual situation, where one answer does not fit all. These days, with so many options, if a certain team is an absolute much watch in your life, you must thoroughly research what is the best way to get that teams games at the best price.

I don't know where ease of use comes into play. Getting a cable box out of my life was a freeing experience.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Bingo. I got tired of the "special deals" that went away, the price increases, and the new special deals they'd come up with to keep me captive; having to drive 30 miles to drop off equipment if I cancelled my account; clueless "support" personnel; getting the "yes, it's $200 per month BUT you'll get 2,000 channels with this package and you can watch 20 football games at once on FOUR DIFFERENT TVs!" pitches.

Charter Spectrum is offering a streaming deal here - but not as many channels as Youtube TV, and no cloud DVR (unlimited DVR with Youtube). Plus I had to exchange my Spectrum router at their local store, and the person behind the counter was unfriendly and unhelpful. Hopefully the competition will make them up their game on their TV packages.
The necessity of dealing with the cable bureaucracy, is enough motivation alone to go with streaming.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Which one carries all the NFL games?
By all, I'm assuming you mean NFL Sunday Ticket. Which is exclusive to Direct TV. So the answer is none.

Now how many people on this forum have the need to watch every NFL game? Or are you just looking to instigate an argument?

Old 05-25-2019, 04:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 657,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
1 gigabyte a second internet speed. (1000mps).
I suspect you're getting 1 gigabit per second, not 1 gigabyte.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Which one carries all the NFL games?
Just buy season tickets at each of the stadiums.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Some of us here, and I am one of them, could care less about watching any NFL game for as long as we live.

Ditto for baseball golf or basketball. I am just not interested, not one bit.
I'm with you.

But I do want to watch more exciting sports such as curling, darts, cricket, badminton and the World Barista Championships.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:30 PM

4,764 posts, read 3,775,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What 'better alternative' are you looking for the cable provider to provide?

Comcast is fantastic - and it has instituted great innovative creative new features and changes during the past two years - which makes it fantastic to use - great ease of use and great organization and great features -

without all the problems of something like Sling which has audio and visual syncing problems, and problems of other streaming services which have trouble with fading in and out, buffering, and numerous other annoying problems with streaming service,

along with needing to put together a patchwork of subscriptions for those with varied interests which end up not saving much money and you end up with limitations and lack of great features. (cost when you add together internet, TV streaming subscription(s), and sometimes phone).
Newsflash: Comcast doesn't offer their services everywhere. I had XFinity internet and was extremely happy with it in Illinois, they don't offer services here. The choices are Charter Spectrum and AT&T. Funny how the cable companies have been upping their game as cord cutting has gained in popularity ...

Quote:
The idea that one is so hip and so 'with it' and seeking to be seen that way and seeking to jump on a bandwagon and seeking to look savvy and superior is misguided.
I'm 72, a retired software professional who is in fact "savvy" about technology, and I don't give a r@t's @ss whether people think I'm "with it" or not. You might notice this is a *retirement forum* -- I'll wager most of the other people here don't care about appearances either.

Quote:
As an aside, one does not need to drive 30 miles to drop off cable boxes or pick them up or do anything whatsoever by driving and driving 30 miles away - the cable boxes can easily be mailed back to a cable provider. (and Comcast provides the box in which to mail it plus the postage and USPS picks it up at your home). And Comcast mails a new modem, a new cable box, and a new remote (with voice activation) to your home, if requested.
Obviously directed toward me. Boy, I guess you put me in my place.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:09 PM

13,887 posts, read 6,627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I suspect you're getting 1 gigabit per second, not 1 gigabyte.
Yes, itís bit not byte, I made that mistake too. My husband corrected me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or