U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 08:59 PM

6,626 posts, read 5,044,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We bought a cheap antenna too, it was unwatchable, maybe it was the rain, but were returning it and eventually will switch over to YouTube TV for the local channels and get subscription to PBS for $5 a month, kind of like donations, IMO.
I bought a cheap antenna (for less than $8) and it pulls in 36 channels, including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, PBS, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 12:35 AM

30,684 posts, read 33,450,741 times
I cancelled my Xfinity cable TV a few months ago and I don't miss it. I get my high speed internet through them still and can read or watch pretty much any local news. I've also had Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu for many years and that's enough to keep me entertained. I use my PS3 to stream everything and even get HBO via Amazon Prime (had to see the final season of Game of Thrones!).

Old 05-27-2019, 09:18 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
I went to visit my brother yesterday and he cut off all cable already, he went with Sprectrum Internet for $35, Oomba for telephone, FireTV from Amazon, and an OTA for local channels. It gave my husband a bit of a boost, since he was more keen in keeping Cox than I was. I forgot what else he’s subscribing to but he was watching Games of Thrones, must be Netflix.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 AM

223 posts, read 274,280 times
We have a condo in Florida that includes cable in the condo association fee. However, we are only there for a few months each year. In NY, we have internet only and split Sling/Hulu/Amazon Prime/etc... with our daughters. We spend about $400 per year plus the cost of internet. Our Florida cable account allows us to access it from anywhere, so we use that when something isn't available on one of the other services. We've been doing that for 2 years now and have no intention of going back.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:19 AM

262 posts, read 377,694 times
Although I highly doubt it, reading a lot of these posts has me thinking maybe I should cut the cord, based purely on principle. In retirement you do spend more time at home, I know I do, and having this luxury available is always a great option for entertainment.

The only streaming service I subscribe to is NFL game pass. If you're a fan, I highly recommend it. For a yearly fee of $99, you can watch every NFL game, immediately after they've concluded, or listen to a live radio broadcast (home or visitor broadcasts) of the game. Its unlimited, and you can watch games during the offseason, Fast forward, Rewind, or click on a particular time of that game. Also you have access to every game from past seasons.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:49 PM

8,872 posts, read 2,754,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I bought a cheap antenna (for less than $8) and it pulls in 36 channels, including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, PBS, etc.
We got lots of over the air channels in FL. Now that we're in the mountains of TN we get bupkis. Sure miss that. We don't have cable or satellite though. Just a ROKU and Sling. Sometimes Amazon Prime.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 PM

25,972 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Location location location. That is what matters. You must be pretty close to those stations.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:44 PM

25,972 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Quote:
I went to visit my brother yesterday and he cut off all cable already, he went with Sprectrum Internet for $35, Oomba for telephone, FireTV from Amazon, and an OTA for local channels. It gave my husband a bit of a boost, since he was more keen in keeping Cox than I was. I forgot what else hes subscribing to but he was watching Games of Thrones, must be Netflix.
Nope - has to be HBO.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:47 AM

13,874 posts, read 7,386,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Nope - has to be HBO.
For the $100+ per month for HD cable with HBO, I can buy the Game of Thrones Blu Ray box set.

The only television I make a point of watching is my NFL team. I pay CBS $8/month during football season to stream their games. Other than that, I watch movies from my Blu Ray collection if I want to be a vegetable. I think I have about 1,000 discs and I can stream Amazon Prime.

I have the Game of Thrones books queued up. I dont want to watch the HBO series until Ive read the books.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:14 AM

563 posts, read 265,846 times
Quote:
I went to visit my brother yesterday and he cut off all cable already, he went with Sprectrum Internet for $35, Oomba for telephone, FireTV from Amazon, and an OTA for local channels. It gave my husband a bit of a boost, since he was more keen in keeping Cox than I was. I forgot what else hes subscribing to but he was watching Games of Thrones, must be Netflix.
I was under the impression that Oomba was now Defunct, maybe I heard wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or