U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:02 AM

4,642 posts, read 4,484,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
...my big question is to see if anyone else >50 cut the cord and how do you feel about it?
Disclaimer, I have not read the thread yet, but decided to respond anyway to the initial post.

I have never had cable television in my life, but did have satellite for some years. Cut that off in 2010 right after the winter Olympics. Started with the satellite dish around 1998 or so, and when I had that, did not receive local channels. Since then, I have had a Roku only.

The downside is that I have missed a lot of the popular culture that arose since then. When people discuss some a television show, I haven't a clue. I really do miss The Tennis Channel. Don't get to watch any of the tournaments anymore. Miss watching the professional bicycle races too. (Don't follow any of the pro sports since the Dodgers traded Steve Garvey to San Diego. Broke my heart and never recovered.)

However, there are a lot of good things. No more +$100 monthly bills, no commercials, and no laugh tracks. Those are so insulting that they turn my stomach. Do they really think we're that dumb that we need to be prompted when to laugh? (That was rhetorical, yes, I know that they really think we're that stupid.)

I have found the Youtube channel on the Roku to be most valuable. A lot of the Discovery Channel and History Channel stuff is on there as well as Hallmark movies. Best of all, I get to watch southern hemisphere and international test rugby matches! What more could anyone want? Netflix gives me all the movies I could possible want to watch.

Pre-retirement, I had naked DSL for internet and that worked well enough. Since then, wireless is provided in our 55+ community. That's been working fine too. I get my news from an electronic subscription to the local newspaper and from the internet. If something happens that is so important, it filters down to me eventually.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 01:58 PM

1,277 posts, read 599,223 times
I have internet, Hulu and Netflix. I get broadcast stations via a window antenna. Great reception. I have a second floor bonus room over the garage that faces that broadcast towers, which are less than 20 miles away. If I move the antenna away from the window, I get fewer channels or some start to breakup. This is the antenna I have: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_antenna.html

Old 06-19-2019, 02:47 PM

3,166 posts, read 6,952,606 times
I cut TV when I retired and don't miss it at all. I never watched much TV anyway, even as a kid (parents constantly told me, "it's a waste of time and your life!")

Old 06-24-2019, 05:12 AM

103 posts, read 36,605 times
I cut cable a couple of years ago. Lasted about 9 months then went back. I could do without the myriad of channels but what I really missed was the news - CNN and MSNBC. Reading this thread is encouraging me to try it again, at least for the summer when I’m less homebound.

I like to practice my 2nd language (German), and there is a streaming service called MHZ that has popular European tv shows with English subtitles. It’s a cheap option for anyone so inclined.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:08 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,596,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
I cut cable a couple of years ago. Lasted about 9 months then went back. I could do without the myriad of channels but what I really missed was the news - CNN and MSNBC. Reading this thread is encouraging me to try it again, at least for the summer when Iím less homebound.
There are a few services now, around 5-6 I think, that are like cable tv "lite" & carry several popular channels including some news for a small monthly fee. Then you can add separate services like MHz to this.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,139,693 times
NO. I couldn't live without my daily helping of Rachel Maddow on MSNBC.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:56 AM

37 posts, read 12,132 times
I heard her ratings were tanking.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,139,693 times
You're like Trump. "Everybody says....."

Old 06-25-2019, 02:31 PM

37 posts, read 12,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You're like Trump. "Everybody says....."
Ok, her ratings are down 15%.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:27 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,937,969 times
I'd like to cut the cable, but I'm not very tech savvy about hooking things up correctly and I depend on having a customer service number to call. With a lot of these new services, you're pretty much on your own if something goes wrong, which is a big negative for me. I hate the way Comcast keeps raising the rates and wish I had a good alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or