U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 12:55 PM

2,936 posts, read 1,602,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post

Has anyone else experienced something like this? My Roku is 10 years old, so that may be the issue.
I don't know, I don't have YTTV, but I have a Roku about 5-6 years old & I have read that after a few years it's wise to get a new one since all the software has been upgraded constantly over the years & some apps will become troublesome to use & buggy.

They same the same for computers too, about 6 years for them to remain current & then they gradually get buggy from lack of updates. (Or the hard drive fails )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 05:11 AM

107 posts, read 38,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I don't know, I don't have YTTV, but I have a Roku about 5-6 years old & I have read that after a few years it's wise to get a new one since all the software has been upgraded constantly over the years & some apps will become troublesome to use & buggy.

They same the same for computers too, about 6 years for them to remain current & then they gradually get buggy from lack of updates. (Or the hard drive fails )
Thanks. They’re fairly reasonably priced so I may do just that. So many models out there now, I’ll have to educate myself about the differences.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:57 AM

5,331 posts, read 2,392,584 times
Well, I know we're never supposed to criticize anything electronic, but I again would modestly suggest trying a total TV fast. It is the lowest total cost alternative, and you may find you don't feel the need to go back.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM

23,739 posts, read 17,687,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
Thanks to this forum I cut the cable and am now using YouTube TV on my Roku.

However, while the other Roku channels work fine, YouTube tv is flaky. I have to press the button twice for each step, and then press the back button to finally get the channel streaming I want.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? My Roku is 10 years old, so that may be the issue.
Replace the Roku.

I am overhauling my whole TV setup. I have a couple of aging Apple TVs and an older Fire TV box. Most new TVs have the basics built in. The TV I'm looking at has built-in Roku capability that's probably as good as most standalone boxes.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:15 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,243,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Replace the Roku.

I am overhauling my whole TV setup. I have a couple of aging Apple TVs and an older Fire TV box. Most new TVs have the basics built in. The TV I'm looking at has built-in Roku capability that's probably as good as most standalone boxes.
Ditto, replace your Roku device.

I have Roku stick running on 2 TVs. The remote will sometimes stop working, as if the battery is dead but it simply lost the connection to the stick. But the streaming seems to be fine. I also have Youtube TV but am about to drop that. it has gone from 29.99 to 49.99 in less than 2 years... they didn't add any great content to justify the bump, just some channels i don't watch anyway.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:58 PM

26,473 posts, read 42,420,196 times
DS has been trying to convince us to cut the cord. We were considering it but then we saw that Direct TV has dropped the two local broadcast stations we watch the most. Huh? That is it. We will keep our cable which has been serving us well and is pretty reliable all these years. Jay

Old 07-22-2019, 03:17 PM

1,953 posts, read 1,548,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
DS has been trying to convince us to cut the cord. We were considering it but then we saw that Direct TV has dropped the two local broadcast stations we watch the most. Huh? That is it. We will keep our cable which has been serving us well and is pretty reliable all these years. Jay
Same here, we are close to the NY border, so they consider NY channels as our local news, so we stopped the guy as he was in route to install the Dish. Comcast is getting ridiculous, so we are looking at options. Someone mentioned Frontier, but I've heard nothing good

Old 07-22-2019, 03:23 PM

35,346 posts, read 32,285,424 times
We downgraded services and cut off home phone. I use my phone for internet only since work pays for my work net. I don't mind going back to an antennae.

True cutting the cord is ditching the ISP altogether so even using my phone for data really isn't cutting the cord. We are still paying an ISP for a service.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,357,337 times
We cut out cable TV 6 or 7 years ago and have done just fine. I put an antenna up in our attic, which we had the foresight to prewire for when we built the house 16 years ago. We obviously still have cable internet service.

We have two over the air (OTA) Tivo's with access to Netflix and Amazon Prime Video which gives us more than we'll ever need to watch.

Certainly don't miss the cable TV bill every month.

On a side note, we dropped our land phone line about 12 years ago...and haven't missed that either. When we all got cell phones, all we ever got on the land line was telemarketer calls. Now of course the telemarketers have discovered the cell phone too unfortunately :-(

Speaking of TV's and cable etc...I was just thinking. Since we're now in the Summer season, I don't think I've even turned on the TV for at least a week. And in the past couple months, I don't think we've watched much more than the nightly news at 10:00 PM. I'm guessing that it's a sign of our fulfilling life, that we don't have the desire, or need to sit and watch TV much. I do spend about an hour or two a day on the internet reading news and researching how to do projects etc...

Last edited by jasper1372; 07-24-2019 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-24-2019, 08:09 AM

107 posts, read 38,292 times
I dropped my cable as of last Sunday. But a couple days before that, I switched from Verizon to Comcast for my cell phone coverage. The cell phone plans Comcast offers are amazingly cheap, but you have to have another Comcast service to sign up for it.

The sales person was nice enough to tell me that I should sign up for the cell phone plan, and I could drop my cable and internet plans a couple days later. If you do that, the cell phone plan goes up by $10/month but it's still a lot cheaper than other plans out there.

Another hint the sales person gave me is that the Comcast option is currently $45/month for unlimited data or pay by the gig ($12/gig). Other services don't have a pay by the gig plan, but rather offer you a 2 gig, or 4 gig, or whatever plan and you pay that rate whether you use that much data or not. Comcast is considering doing the same thing, but I will be grandfathered in with my current plan.

At least, that's the story I was told! I have DSL service now & it's a lot fast than my Comcast internet was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or