U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:11 AM

297 posts, read 54,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Today I received my new AT&T bill and it jumped nearly $100 to $228.27 and I am ticked!

Yes, I had a two year contract that just ran out but there is no way I am going to spend that much on internet and cable television every month.

And I don't get anything special... no HBO, Showtime or anything else just straight cable television.

So... looking to cut the cord and my big question is to see if anyone else >50 cut the cord and how do you feel about it?

I can get high speed internet with download speeds up to 100 Mbps for less than $40.

I bought two Amazon firesticks today and I have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

$228.27 is insane. Just nuts.

Anyone else use Fire Sticks?

PS Thanks for letting me vent.... $228 is over half a car payment and that's nuts.... grumble... grumble....
I didn't read every post but I would like to cut cable too but cutting cable only saves us like $10 a month since we bundle internet and TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 09:52 AM

3,166 posts, read 5,211,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I didn't read every post but I would like to cut cable too but cutting cable only saves us like $10 a month since we bundle internet and TV.
That sounds like an exceptionally good deal on the bundle.

None of the providers in my area can touch that. The best I've seen is one of them offers a bundle with 40 TV channels for $20 monthly over standalone internet, but the TV package is a basic one with just local channels, public access, home shopping, and a bunch of audio-only music channels. But I pick up 50+ channels with an antenna, so other than the music, that package wouldn't get me much of anything I don't already get free over the air.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:50 AM

13,423 posts, read 6,422,494 times
I saved $50 per month, better speed too. I bundled internet, TV, and landline from Cox.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:55 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,133,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We downgraded services and cut off home phone. I use my phone for internet only since work pays for my work net. I don't mind going back to an antennae.

True cutting the cord is ditching the ISP altogether so even using my phone for data really isn't cutting the cord. We are still paying an ISP for a service.

No, it's about no longer getting cable, and not paying for cable. It's the "cable cord" that is being cut, not ISP service.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:56 AM

207 posts, read 191,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
That sounds like an exceptionally good deal on the bundle.

None of the providers in my area can touch that. The best I've seen is one of them offers a bundle with 40 TV channels for $20 monthly over standalone internet, but the TV package is a basic one with just local channels, public access, home shopping, and a bunch of audio-only music channels. But I pick up 50+ channels with an antenna, so other than the music, that package wouldn't get me much of anything I don't already get free over the air.
Interesting discussion.....we also use Att U verse.....it is a bundle....unlimited internet, landline, and TV.....we are retired now...and likely do watch too much TV! That said....it is important to us...we have 350 channels...hubby watches college sports, loves History Channel....etc...
Personally I love On Demand. To watch and catch up on anything we missed...Plus purchasing any newly released movies ...for 6 dollars...sure beats going out to a theater and paying 12 bucks each!

We only have one Premium Channel, HBO....which I actually could give up..

We do not have roof antennas here..not sure they are code..we have a neighbor who put one in his attic...he barely got local stations..

Some folks do have a dish..works for TV...but not landline or internet..

Bottom line....we each have priorities...ours is having a retirement that is enjoyable...
And we have planned for this expense

No...we would never cut the cord

Old 07-24-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
You need a streaming service that duplicates what you get with cable.

YouTube TV

Sling TV

DirectTV NOW

PlayStation VUE

FUBO

Hulu LIVE

In most cases these services will be about half what you're paying for cable.
But.....when we add high speed Internet, landline phone and cell..it truly is not cheaper..

Not to mention that my 80 year old hubby can barely run his IPad ..

Plus he truly enjoys watching every sport on, History,,etc

Old 07-24-2019, 03:20 PM

4,354 posts, read 6,075,778 times
Nope. More cable. Everything they offer. Retirement for us means being comfortably entertained in our own home.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:29 PM

1,359 posts, read 665,801 times
my parents would turn in their grave, if they knew what I had to go through, just to watch TV,

Old 07-24-2019, 03:29 PM

3,358 posts, read 3,066,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
DS has been trying to convince us to cut the cord. We were considering it but then we saw that Direct TV has dropped the two local broadcast stations we watch the most. Huh? That is it. We will keep our cable which has been serving us well and is pretty reliable all these years. Jay

Yes, that is why I dumped Direct TV recently. I had already dumped AT&T internet when my address got Google Fiber. I have an Apple TV (well, 3 of them for all 3 TVs) running Netflix and Hulu+ (which gives me live TV with the local channels and a DVR) and the HBO add-on. I also have Amazon Prime if I want to watch anything on that. Total cost is over 50% less than Direct TV and I have replicated all of the channels I want.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Nope. More cable. Everything they offer. Retirement for us means being comfortably entertained in our own home.
Thought it was just us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or