U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

3,854 posts, read 9,461,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Can someone recap HOW to cut cable, with steps:

1) Do you keep internet access with the cable provider?
2) If you purchase an antenna, who installs it?
3) What goes into deciding about Roku, AppleTV, whatever, whatever?

I watch mainly reality TV and NBA. I have Amazon Prime but have never used it. I have Netflix - rarely use it. I do use YouTube, but is there a new, enhanced YouTube?

You people who figured this out are brilliant. I need a consultant!
I'm going to comment on the bolded ones.

If you have Apple computers, purchase content from iTunes or otherwise store media on your computer to be played through the Apple TV, it's definitely worth it. Otherwise, it acts just like the other streaming devices.

Firestick, as others have mentioned, tends to push Amazon content.

I personally find the Roku to be the easiest to use and the most versatile. Not sure about useless content - I guess it depends on what you like or need.

Youtube has started offering a live streaming application that works like Sling and a couple of the other live TV packages. So there is the Youtuba app that lets you browse and play selected content (how to videos, music, etc) and then there is the Youtube TV live streaming TV package - 2 different apps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

244 posts, read 67,926 times
Just to throw in my 1 cent.

. Xfinity internet (way faster and cheaper than our local ATT internet).
. NVIDIA Shield (I think it's worth the money over Roku or Amazon stuff)...they also handle USB disks.
. Occasionally use a computer to push content to the TV
. Amazon Prime member, on and off again Netflix
. A couple of Tracfone smart phone plans (about 10 bucks a month per phone).
. A Karma Go for emergencies until they started a per month tithe

We haven't had cable TV for 25 years and only started watching TV again in the last 10 years or so (on the internet). Somewhat ironic given our work history, but there you go. Currently around 50 dollars a month total minus the Prime membership, which I would have in any case.

Old Today, 12:36 AM

39,626 posts, read 47,908,804 times
Never ever had cable, the money saved over the years pays for our travel enjoyment.

Old Today, 08:04 AM

13,423 posts, read 6,422,494 times
We discovered a lot of channels like BBC America for nature shows like wild life, the money we saved paid for half the new TV and we get excellent picture, 4K TV, shows we like to watch. We didn’t have this channel from Cox. We did give up PBS, but this is so much worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or