Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2019, 05:52 AM

37,613 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Interesting you are getting a flyer for slowest. Usually most users get caught in the marketing hype for Blaster, Turbo or other fluff . Truth be told, unless you are running a business from your home, the vast majority of users only need basic speeds. For streaming, 20mbps and even less is fine for many homes.

Before I upgraded to FIOS a few years ago, I couldn't even stream Netflix without frequent buffering. Seemed like it got worse each year. I had the basic DSL service - I don't think my speeds ever got higher than 3 Mbps.

I just ran a speed test:
DOWNLOAD Mbps 93.91
UPLOAD Mbps 91.45
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Internet with a Smart TV is the way to go. Network TV is transmitted line-of-sight and the FCC requires every station to transmit a companion digital signal. Digital antennas cost about $20-$30. If you are lucky enough to be "in-of-sight" of network TV transmitters (you are on top of a higher bldg or a hill) then buy a digital antenna, plug it into your home TV and an electrical outlet and get the network offerings (grimace). I had HULU and NETFLIX but cancelled them and moved to Amazon Prime and YouTube. Youtube is free. My monthly cost is $58. Never used Fire Sticks. Are they Wi-FI?
"Digital antenna" is a misnomer. You just need an ANTENNA.

HDTV Antenna Fact or Fiction

Firesticks are similar to a ROKU device. Yes they use the wifi in your home, to stream content to your tv.
You can buy tv's with built-in Roku or you can get a "Fire tv" - it has the Amazon product built in, instead of the Roku.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
A lot of channels but it was grainy. Plus I don’t want any ugly antenna over the roof either. Just indoor Antenna.
I have an "ugly antenna", , in the attic. Mine is probably 15 years old. I get excellent OTA reception. The thing about OTA is the signal that you receive is uncompressed - unlike what is transmitted via a cable company. You won't get a better picture than an OTA signal, I mean, if you can receive it of course. Digital is never "grainy". You either get the picture or you don't. Not sure what you have if that was the picture you got.

FWIW, these days you don't need an ugly antenna LOL.

This one works indoors...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H1KQ3SH...07PTZH9HW?th=1

Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have an "ugly antenna", , in the attic. Mine is probably 15 years old. I get excellent OTA reception. The thing about OTA is the signal that you receive is uncompressed - unlike what is transmitted via a cable company. You won't get a better picture than an OTA signal, I mean, if you can receive it of course. Digital is never "grainy". You either get the picture or you don't. Not sure what you have if that was the picture you got.

FWIW, these days you don't need an ugly antenna LOL.

This one works indoors...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H1KQ3SH...07PTZH9HW?th=1
This is what we got, cheap one to test out. By grainy, I mean the picture was freezing and breaking up into smaller blocks.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...B-27/305093787

Old 05-24-2019, 08:51 AM

4,328 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Interesting you are getting a flyer for slowest. Usually most users get caught in the marketing hype for Blaster, Turbo or other fluff . Truth be told, unless you are running a business from your home, the vast majority of users only need basic speeds. For streaming, 20mbps and even less is fine for many homes.
This is true.

The providers in my area all seem to promote their highest-tier internet service, which is usually 1 GB download speed. But then, even their lowest tier usually is 100-300 MBPS, at least for new customers. Legacy customers might be on a grandfathered lower-speed/lower-cost plan. DSL service has apparently been phased out in this area with exception of the rural areas, where 1.5 MBPS is probably the fastest tier offered. Google Fiber is slowly rolling out service in our city. 1 GB download speed internet is the only tier they offer.

I know Spectrum has their "Internet Assist" at $14.99 monthly for 30 MBPS speed. But eligibility for that plan is limited. Still, if you can get it, $14.99 is way below the typical $50 +/- other basic plans will run you, and the 30 MBPS is ample for most residential users.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Today I received my new AT&T bill and it jumped nearly $100 to $228.27 and I am ticked!

Yes, I had a two year contract that just ran out but there is no way I am going to spend that much on internet and cable television every month.

And I don't get anything special... no HBO, Showtime or anything else just straight cable television.

So... looking to cut the cord and my big question is to see if anyone else >50 cut the cord and how do you feel about it?

I can get high speed internet with download speeds up to 100 Mbps for less than $40.

I bought two Amazon firesticks today and I have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

$228.27 is insane. Just nuts.

Anyone else use Fire Sticks?

PS Thanks for letting me vent.... $228 is over half a car payment and that's nuts.... grumble... grumble....
Well that promo price was for the first 12 months. You got sucked in, sorry for the sticker shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
We cut cable almost 10 years ago and haven’t missed it. We have amazon and Netflix, watch YouTube sometimes.
We’ve been using ROKU for years. Amazon and Netflix for us. Haven’t had a full TV package for years. $80 for stuff we didn’t want. With Comcast we have have a decent internet service plan and a basic local TV add on for an extra $5. So why not!

Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This is what we got, cheap one to test out. By grainy, I mean the picture was freezing and breaking up into smaller blocks.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...B-27/305093787
Yeah that antenna is crap. From what I can find, you’re only going to pull in a signal if the source is within a very few miles. You could have spent $20 and gotten a halfway decent one from Amazon. But still, you have to do the research to find out what the reception is at your specific location. That is how you know what kind of antenna to buy.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-24-2019 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 11:39 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I dumped cable more than 10 years ago. I use roku. I have Prime and usually I have hulu 1/2 the year and netflix the other half. 300mb internet service only. The internet is expensive, about $100 per month but I would have that anyway. Prime had a deal the other day for a year's access to the MLB channel for $60 so I bought that as well. If it stays reasonable I will keep it. Depends on how much it will go up.

I just got a brand new DOCSIS3.1 modem and I haven't put it in yet. Maybe today. It will accommodate higher than 1G speeds. Also have an antenna and I can get 2 out of the 3 networks. I really don't need more than that.

The game changer coming down the pipe right now will be 5G. Once that's available, I will be able to get rid of my ISP and run everything on 5G. But deployment is very limited so far.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:41 AM

695 posts, read 998,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
What internet speed is necessary for internet viewing? Based on the ComCast flyer which arrived in yesterdays's mail, it appears they shove "Internet Only" customers into the slowest category.

Has anyone had issue with excessive bandwidth use? I heard comments from one retired lady that since cutting the cord, she and her husband are constantly badgered by their internet provider because of excessive bandwidth use.
I have Comcast internet only, 70 mbps. I watch all kinds of stuff online, from streaming to downloads.

Comcast has a 1 terabyte cap here (SE MI), and they claim it's a ton of data. I've never even been close to that in any given month, so I don't know what the woman you are referring to is doing online to use a lot of bandwidth, unless others (grandkids?) are downloading/uploading lots of stuff she's not aware of? Just guessing. Maybe she has a lower cap on her data based on her plan.

In any case the Comcast plans around here range from the lowest tier at 25 mbps to 1000 mbps, at various price levels. I have 70 mbps for $70/month, internet only. Still high, but it's a monopoly.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:43 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I haven't had actual cable in three years.

I have Netflix and another streaming service. That's $27/month. I get the networks from my antenna. I use a relative's Spectrum app and stream the cable TV shows from that. They piggyback off my Netflix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement