U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 03:39 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,136,829 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have one? I have about 6 acres, 4 of which I still need to mow. I have a 48 inch John Deere, but it is the old style. I need one to zip around the faster. Too much time in the sun, bugs and crud. Do you like yours? Regrets? Advice? Got a favorite brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 04:32 PM

6,213 posts, read 4,718,283 times
You might want to post on the garden forum instead of the retirement forum.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:56 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,136,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You might want to post on the garden forum instead of the retirement forum.
Not really, I like to find out what my retired brothers and sisters think about it.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Would be nice... (since I have LOTS of rural homes (8) and some in WET climates (8" lawn growth / week)

as a 'retiree' my time mowing is very CHEAP, tho I hate to mow (that is what sheep are for, but they are not EZ either!)
but... I cannot 'justify' it. DS says "hey, your $200 mower works fine, get busy, get outta the HOUSE!"

If I get one dropped down the chimney...: I want...
Zero-turn
1) MUST be a diesel (I hate anything GAS (ick) as I have brewed my own diesel for 40+ yrs) Gas mowers are noisy and stink (pollution)
2) must NOT have plastic (plastic breaks in sun exposure, tough to keep a 'plastic' mower running 40+ yrs)
3) Name brand (robust duty cycle)
4) Robust drive and deck system
5) THICK / heavy deck (to last 40 yrs)
6) Capable of being towed (when it breaks down)
7) Capable of towing (I do that a lot with all vehicles)

I like Walker mowers, and older John Deere and Kubota. (1980 vintage)
https://www.walker.com/
available in diesel;
https://www.walker.com/search?cx=003...&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

But... get what suits YOU! (and you can live with)
I am looking for a JD 425 for $200... (have not found one yet, only been looking 10 yrs)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-24-2019 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-24-2019, 06:18 PM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
We have cactus. No mowing necessary. 6 acres is a lot.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:49 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,505,046 times
I will play! Get yourself a sun hat, a cup holder, and mow in the evenings after supper. Use the headlights on the riding mower at dusk. I prefer a Cub Cadet or a John Deere riding mower. Mowing can be fun if you set yourself up right. I mowed a huge rental property for years and miss it sometimes.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:46 AM

13,873 posts, read 7,386,288 times
I only have a 10,000 square foot lot. I can mow it in less than an hour with a Briggs & Stratton Brute $120 push mower. If I sharpened the blade, it would take more like 30 minutes. A zero turn radius mower would be ridiculous.

I have a lawn OCD retired neighbor on my little private lane who is out there with his John Deere 3 or 4 days per week. I probably only mow my lawn 15 to 20 times per season.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:52 AM

294 posts, read 148,915 times
Default ...quality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
Do any of you have one? I have about 6 acres, 4 of which I still need to mow. I have a 48 inch John Deere, but it is the old style. I need one to zip around the faster. Too much time in the sun, bugs and crud. Do you like yours? Regrets? Advice? Got a favorite brand?
I live on one acre. I have a 48-inch Cub Cadet. We bought the place in December of 1997. Many bushes haphazardly planted. And too many trees for me. A few outbuildings.

All but two of the bushes are gone. Only one tree remains, a large Cedar. Only three outbuildings remain. If my property were larger than one acre, I would have to get a zero-turn mower.
Mowing is not fun for me, but once I get going, it is okay. If you enjoy mowing, then spending your time (leisure time) mowing is not so important. Even then, I think you need a zero-turn.

If you elect to get a zero-turn, do not buy a cheap one. It will not last. I think spending the extra money for a commercial use mower would be the ticket.
Follow StealthRabbit's lead on this one. Try not to take ten years.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:20 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,213,883 times
I have 10 acres.

I have a Ferris. Its my second one. I really use and abuse mine, I probably sit on it 4 times a week. Does a good job, its fast, I have a friend come over the start of the season to put on new blades and change the oil, and thats about all I do to it. Every now and again, Ill have a belt come off, or break. Thats about it.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
other thoughts...since zero's can be very fast in correct applications...
or...

If your time is really valuable (hobbies / volunteering / responsibilities, fishing...) or your desire to be a 'super-mower' is of top importance... or if you are OCD about your lawn, or your neighbors are OCD on YOUR lawn...(I too have a neighbor who mows 2-3x / week, but I mow 1x max, often miss a week (or two).

get a PT job (or make a big enough 'stock-trading-win') to cover the cost of a Zero-turn.

Do get a commercial quality one, and if justifiable, a diesel (they use ~1/2 the fuel of a gas... lower RPM, more torque, higher energy content per gal)

or... as mentioned, reduce your trees / bushes shrubs... I mow in SHORT in March with NEVER using reverse (broad turning), Everything left standing gets Round-up No hand weed-eating for me during mowing season! (I have a grapple, stumpgrinder, and chipper for my 12,000# tracked Bobcat, so that helps me, but I live on steep acreage, so can only use a 38" deck. = SLOW for big acreage)

or... find a great quality used 60" rider if you have flat and ez mowing. (as mentioned, I prefer a JD 1980's variety (with steel channel frame... NOT a Home Depot version of JD.) I'm using a 318 that a friend thought was worn out 20 yrs ago. It has never been to a 'fix-it' shop and has just received a 'Gift' from Amazon... New commercial quality blades. !

BTW, treat you lawn equip very nice...
  • Synthetic oil (Good for the high heat and dust they eat)
  • non-ethanol fuel (Available at some 'quality / commercial' fuel stations)
  • Marine Grade Stabil
  • Keep under cover
  • Keep filters clean
  • Use the kevlar wrapped V-Belts (https://www.vbeltguys.com/)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or