U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 12:52 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,917,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatlamp View Post
Exactly! The sign on the pool just said "Closed for repairs". When I got home I went online and found all of the back newsletter issues from the developer (now no longer available LOL). There were complaints in resident meeting minutes about the pool being out for weeks or months, don't remember which. There were also complaints about other upkeep issues. In researching the developer further I stumbled on court records where quite a few properties were being taken back for fees in arrears. Could be the reason for bad maintenance - not enough money. Who knows. But it was an eye-opener for me.
Interesting. Our meeting minutes are done by the Property Manager, not the Board Secretary. The minutes contain action items and votes but do not document Board or resident discussions or complaints. I think for legal reasons, that's the way minutes are being done these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 09:05 AM

5,937 posts, read 5,293,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Interesting. Our meeting minutes are done by the Property Manager, not the Board Secretary. The minutes contain action items and votes but do not document Board or resident discussions or complaints. I think for legal reasons, that's the way minutes are being done these days.
Minutes are the official record of action taken. Nothing more.
Any top HOA attorney will tell you that. Discussion is never in the minutes.

Remember, if not on the agenda, no board vote.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:39 AM

57 posts, read 16,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
As you need an MLS to be a librarian and when I graduated from college I just needed a job fast - I took a government job, soul killing, horrible pressure - gave me bleeding ulcers.
Years later, I finally was able to go to night school to go for that Masters, while still keeping my day job, at age 50 I got it.

Early retirement was offered at the "soul killer" job so I grabbed it and was able to find a part time job at a local college library.
I never had such a wonderful job - I didn't think there was such a thing. One thing - the assnt director was on sabbatical - I didn't think much of that so I was a happy as a pig in a mud pile for a year - until she came back.
Ugh! The nice Director retired and she took his job - terrible. How can one person be so great and the other one be so vile.
After a year of suffering I just quit and did volunteer work for a local museum and golldangit - if the same thing didn't happen again - wonderful volunteer coordinator was forced out for an out of state young twit who was an officious bureaucrat - all the volunteers just quit.
Ugh.

Why are there so many miserable bosses out there - they make everyone so unhappy and hate to go to work.
Sorry if I deviated a bit from the original topic -...just had to get that out.
P.S. No more libraries for me - I've heard similar from other librarians. You just think they are dream places to work - no they are not - tons of backbiting and jealousy.
"The library" could just as easily be replaced with "the office," "the hospital," or "the factory."

Nasty people are all over the place. That's what has always frustrated me so much at my jobs.

If I don't like someone in my personal life, I just don't associate with that person. If I can't stand someone (or multiple people) at a job, I just have to deal with it or quit!

Old 06-30-2019, 07:02 PM

2,597 posts, read 1,355,863 times
Another thing: Just as an example, I think my husband thought we would be like Tweedledum and Tweedledee after retirement, running around together, doing the same thing, joining the same activities, etc.etc. And for I guess about 80% of the time we are in fact like that. But that thought horrified me at first, because I have very different interests from him.

I persevered in my interests long after retirement, but got not a lot of support from him, so that was a disappointment. I have since "retired" from most of those things, too, but I do still think it is important to find your own center after retirement, just as you did different things during the day while you were working.

I think you need to find out from your wife how she would feel about your partaking in activities without her. She might quite like it, if you have been a hovering sort of person and she's ready for you to buzz off for awhile. Or she, as another poster said, might love the fact that you go and do things and then come back and share everything in detail so she can live vicariously.

Or - she might be interested in doing a few activities herself if you move to a place where the two of you don't have to make a big thing of doing them - drive across town, or fight traffic, or anything like that. If things are right on site you might be surprised that she shows a little more energy.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:56 PM

265 posts, read 105,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Obviously, everyone is different and I can't speak for how your wife might feel. But, FWIW, I'm a cancer patient who had a husband who felt that way. I appreciated the good intentions, but actually I wanted him to continue going bike riding, play pickleball, go out with friends, and otherwise do all the things we used to do together.

Not only did it not bother me, to be honest, sometimes it was nice to get him out of the house. And while I felt very sad that I couldn't do those things for several months, having him not be able to do it either wouldn't have made me feel any better. Instead, I sort of lived vicariously through him. He caught me up on what was new with our friends, and sometimes they would send me little selfies when they were out and about, so I was included (at least, a little).
I hope that is the case for her in the long run. . . the last year or so has been difficult for me to even go to work (part-time) because she is depressed and really doesn't like me gone. Her short-term memory loss from whole brain radiation plays into that I know -- most new information is scrabbled or missing soon after.

She really wants to get out but debilitating motion sickness and being easily fatigued keeps her mostly at home which frustrates her even more. I fear that if she does make a trek out to the rec center, etc., nothing will put off new acquaintances from wanting to get to know you more than having to use a nausea bag within the first 10 minutes you meet them. :-(. and then feeling just icky enough following the episode that you really don't want to converse socially with them.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:12 PM

2,220 posts, read 1,094,492 times
I'm never bored, and I never wish I was still working. Can't even imagine being bored.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:12 PM

394 posts, read 156,333 times
I fell the other day and had to go to the ER. They ran tests, examined me and released me. I recovered at home, resting and taking pain meds. Five days later, my husband developed pneumonia. I had to shift into caregiver mode and take care of him. I was so glad that I retired June 1. I didn't have to call my boss and ask for time off.

I am taking it easy, back to babysitting my 6 month old grandson now that both of us are doing better. Getting ready to travel in the next few months.

I love retirement, and I was only working 18 paid hours a week on a teaching job that needed two extra hours a day of my personal time. It was the perfect job, but took a lot of time to do it well. My blood pressure is fairly low now. Working at a job takes time. Time away from what you want to do and who you want to be with.

Sometimes I do miss my job, but that is life.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 352,552 times
We considered 55+, visited several. Opted not to buy there. Much nicer being in a gated community with all the amenities (except golf, we avoided those communities too) and a wide array of newlyweds, new families, teens, college, empty nesters and retired folks. Real fun especially around holidays (Easter egg hunts, Memorial Day parade, 4th of July BBQs and fireworks, Labor Day picnics, Halloween Trick or Treat, New Years fireworks etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or