U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 08:13 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,851,875 times

Advertisements

I think it is understandable that it was 90 yo's who said they were bored. Many at that age have not only lost most of their own generation of friends and family, but their energy and physical abilities are often quite limited. Not surprising that they spend more time thinking of the past than younger retirees do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 09:12 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,935,353 times
I really pity anyone who is "bored" in retirement. I can't imagine being so unimaginative as to not know how to fill your free time.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:20 PM

78,750 posts, read 33,503,872 times
I imagine that many who say that they wish they were still working actually mean they wish they were still young enough to work.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:00 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,639,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I think it is understandable that it was 90 yo's who said they were bored. Many at that age have not only lost most of their own generation of friends and family, but their energy and physical abilities are often quite limited. Not surprising that they spend more time thinking of the past than younger retirees do.
I could understand if they are stuck in the house and incapacitated but these 90 year olds were attending a community bbq, so they are still getting out and socializing.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:17 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,940,887 times
Have you ever watched a border collie herd a flock of sheep? Would you call that work?

Nope. He just loves doing it.

Some people are like that too.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:58 AM

563 posts, read 265,646 times
We live in a 55+ community and love it. I've never spoken to anyone that has said they miss working. Most people here stay fairly busy with various activities and hobbies.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:12 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,639,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
We live in a 55+ community and love it. I've never spoken to anyone that has said they miss working. Most people here stay fairly busy with various activities and hobbies.
Iíve have had friends who lived in 55+ communities and I canít say anyone being bored ever came up as an issue. Only time I met someone was our car salesman last year who after two years of retirement couldnít stand it and went back to working car sales full time (much relief to his wife apparently). He had no interests or hobbies , no interest in outdoor activities or travel, so for him being stuck at home was a nightmare. Great car salesman though.

I thought my husband would be bored after a lifetime of exciting research and loving science but boy he took to retirement like a duck to water .

Old 05-26-2019, 07:21 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
I'm thinking that 80 and 90 year olds have a LOT of fond memories of the good stuff and maybe not of the bad? Or if they are that old then they didn't have the same kinds of stressors that many workers have now. I would not take them at their word and would pay a lot more attention to how I personally felt rather than their "regrets".

If you're 90 you're bored because what you can do now is likely 25% of what you could do before...if you're 55 you can do pretty much whatever you want with absolutely no reason to be bored - that's another big difference.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:56 AM

921 posts, read 252,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I could understand if they are stuck in the house and incapacitated but these 90 year olds were attending a community bbq, so they are still getting out and socializing.
Somehow I don't think leaving your apartment to go downstairs for a few hours and sit and eat is akin to running, walking all over a festival or other event, rock climbing, dance classes, frequent music rehearsals, hiking, painting on location, traveling, going for a long drive, going to concerts, or any of the other things a person may have enjoyed when they were younger.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:33 PM

50 posts, read 50,064 times
I think a lot of people just like to keep busy and feel a sense of accomplishment completing productive activities. I'm no where near retirement age but a lot of my older relatives say they could never afford to even retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or