U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 01:54 AM

6,550 posts, read 3,656,219 times

Advertisements

Downsizing after retirement gives people the chance to relocate to some spot they like better. That takes some time and effort. I've heard that the economy is heading into a downturn or maybe instability in the real estate market. When I decided to sell my house in 2010 (2700 sq. Ft.) it took three years to find a qualified buyer and then it was a FSBO. My agent couldn't seem to do it. This was in a stable and low risk community. There were a couple potential buyers who had student loans and couldn't get a bank loan. Keep your expectations in line with reality and be flexible and patient. When I finally tried to buy new property in another state I discovered all three credit bureaus reported me as being dead thanks to a credit card error. It took a week to get that cleared up.

Last edited by SunGrins; 06-08-2019 at 02:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 AM

2,435 posts, read 3,660,491 times
Default Recent discouragement

A new development just down the road from us had a large sign posted advertising Ranch Style Homes. The sign had been there since last Summer, earthwork and utilities started construction this Spring. The Development's web page had 6 different Ranch Homes shown, different sizes, different features, multiple exterior elevation choices for each model, multiple floor plan Options/Adders for each plan. I told my wife about this new small development and we planned to go there some time soon when their Office was open. Eventually the Grand Opening of their Sales Office was advertised for June 8th.

On the 6th or 7th I noticed their web page advertised Colonial (i.e. two story homes) and Ranch Style homes. The web page floor plans and exteriors had also changed to 4 different two-story homes with no Ranch plans. Odd.

We were out of town for the weekend and I checked their web site on Monday the 10th. The website had been revised and all mention of the Ranch homes was removed. I drove past the development Monday afternoon during my evening commute and the sign had been quickly and cheaply modified with a sticker over the Ranch Homes declaration which now read "Office Now Open for Sales" or something similar.

Discouraging............

Old 06-13-2019, 11:28 AM

2,600 posts, read 1,357,733 times
Wow! That IS discouraging. I suspect the developer decided ranch homes took up too much land and figured how many 2-stories he could get into that same frontage, so there went your ranches.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:55 AM

1,164 posts, read 970,797 times
May be the reason above, or just that ranch homes can be more expensive for builder and buyer due to the bigger foot-print. In any case, perhaps there are models with a first floor master which you would like. If it's a cape cod style house, the second level is mostly an extra bath and bedroom.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Wow! That IS discouraging. I suspect the developer decided ranch homes took up too much land and figured how many 2-stories he could get into that same frontage, so there went your ranches.

More bizarre than that. The lots had already been platted so there was no increase in quantity by building exclusively two-story homes. The development has an unfortunate history. Originally it was to be two story condos, all with a one stall garage. Two buildings containing 8-10 Condos each were constructed, these are nice units as we toured these just for curiosity sake 10+ years ago, then the recession hit.

The builder went bankrupt, no more buildings were constructed, the local market may have become saturated with 2-story Condo choices, so the remaining 75-90% of the property sat vacant.

Eventually a special arrangement was approved between the local Township and a Developer who has constructed nearly a dozen other neighborhoods in the community, to finish development of this parcel with exclusively ranch style homes. It seemed to me, as a lay person, to be a strange arrangement targeted at affording more choices to buyers, but possibly over-reaching on the part of the Township. For those of us who have lived here for 40+ years, raising our families in multi-story homes, and now entering our retirement years, there is a very noticeable absence of single story detached housing.

So why did this agreement get cancelled? I guess I need to call my friend the Township Treasurer, and ask him.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:07 AM

Default Visited my first Del Webb Community yesterday

WOW!!

I have known about this community for a year and a half, maybe two years. It is 25 miles from our home (too far) and 12 miles of so from work. I had thought about going there many times previously on my afternoon commute but Pulte selected a Gawd Awful location.

It is 5 miles off the expressway, between two distant exits, the roads to it are over-crowded two lanes in horrible condition, every intersection is a 4-way stop and at 3 pm yesterday each direction of travel at each stop had 4 or more vehicles waiting to cycle through.

But the community is gorgeous! I knew they were rapidly building out from their web page postings and hoped to pick-up some brochures and price lists, and maybe a hint as to where their next community will be built. Unfortunately they are completely built out. The four model homes have already been sold and were in the process of being converted from Models to regular homes, i.e. remove the carpet from the garage floors and the slat-wall from the garage walls, etc.

So I wandered through the models, impressed at the quality and design elements (the door for the basement stairs is recessed in a 3-foot deep alcove off the main hallway so that the door can be fully opened for easy basement Rec Room access and not interfere with main floor hallway traffic). Drove through looking at the landscaping, lush lawns, hired grounds keeping, ...., and continued on toward home.

Before reaching home I drove through a more local neighborhood being constructed by the same builder as the neighborhood down the road which suddenly changed from ranch to 2-story homes, and offers ranch style homes only. VERY depressing...............

Del Webb owners obviously have owned multiple homes, know what works and looks good, have the financial capability of getting the mods performed so they can enjoy them, and do just that. The other neighborhood is obviously first time home buyers, cash-strapped or just plain indifferent, delaying exterior improvements due to funding or not knowing, and the whole neighborhood looks haphazard as a result.

40 years ago we were one of those same cash-strapped home buyers. Landscaping was done as the budget allowed, buying the 1-gallon pots of plants as that was all we could afford, but knowing we would be in the home for 30+ years so it was OK if it took 5 years or more for the landscaping and patio/deck to be complete and look right.

At this point in our lives we may live in our retirement home for 25 years, or God forbid, less than 10 years. So we want the home's exterior to look nearly right from Day #1.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 06-15-2019 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-15-2019, 11:27 AM

1,164 posts, read 970,797 times
It sounds like you like the community, but not the location? Is it the Pulte community that you like, or Del Webb?

One suggestion from my experience on configuring the kitchen; I do not like having the stove across from the sink, which is on the kitchen island. Wish we had done that differently. Lots of models have that configuration in the kitchen.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:50 AM

2,600 posts, read 1,357,733 times
I think when Pulte took over from Del Webb, the concept changed completely from focusing on the senior and his potential lifestyle in retirement, to focusing on the glitzy home which would dazzle the potential buyer, and letting the extras previously provided by Del Webb slide into second place (or third).

Old 06-16-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
It sounds like you like the community, but not the location? Is it the Pulte community that you like, or Del Webb?
I liked the community but the location of this community does not fit our needs or desires. I am hoping the fairly rapid build-out of this community will result in additional Del Webb communities closer to our target retirement living area.

Pulte purchased Del Webb as well as a number of other builders/developers. The retirement communities are still advertised and marketed as Del Webb communities but the ownership of Del Webb is now Pulte.

Pulte Homes, Centex, Del Webb, DiVosta, and John Wieland are all Pulte companies.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I think when Pulte took over from Del Webb, the concept changed completely from focusing on the senior and his potential lifestyle in retirement, to focusing on the glitzy home which would dazzle the potential buyer, and letting the extras previously provided by Del Webb slide into second place (or third).
The physical attributes all seem to be retained; Club House, Pool, Tennis Courts, miles of walking path, etc. Many social attributes are advertised as well. No golf course at this community but it is located 2-3 miles away from 2 large public courses, and golf is declining in popularity in Michigan. But this was my first visit to a Del Webb community so retiree centrist life-style items could have been reduced significantly and I would be unaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or