U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 06:10 AM

2,431 posts, read 3,657,283 times

Advertisements

We don't want to move out of our local area but we realize that at ages 63 & 60 our time in our current 2-story detached home with yard, pool, and basement laundry may be limited to 10 years. So I have started looking surreptitiously and priming the pump with my wife to adjust her mental state toward a future move. My goal is to identify condo developments, neighborhoods with Ranch homes, or other options that are acceptable to us. Use this research to compile a short list, then use this knowledge within the next decade when it is apparent that the time has arrived, or a great deal suddenly hits the market.

She is already actively de-cluttering our home of four decades worth of accumulations that are stored away and never used, so we are on the same path just maybe at a different point. She also expressed a concern last night that our closest neighborhood friends are nearly all 5+ years older than us, so we may find ourselves as the "Last of the Mahicans" in a few years. Surrounded by young couples who refuse to mow their lawns or perform exterior maintenance!

Last edited by MI-Roger; 05-25-2019 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 06:29 AM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
At over 70, my wife and I are starting to think ahead. We may only have another 10 years or so when we want to take care of a full sized suburban house. This year we are going to pay to have the lawn cut, but that is mainly just due to laziness and having other things we want to do.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:58 AM

888 posts, read 458,017 times
Retired and downsized to a condo 3 years ago at age 62. Its a first floor unit, one level without steps in the same neighborhood as our sch was. The freedom that living here provides is amazing. Little upkeep as we dont have grass cutting, snow shoveling, painting etc to do, it takes an hour or two to do a full thorough cleaning and best of all no mortgage! This allows us more time and flexibility to do things at the spur of the moment.

At time we do miss the sfh, but we haven't looked back.

BTW, her decluttering (and yours) is key and will help making the move easier!

Old 05-25-2019, 07:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Met a group of age 55+ in Davis, CA who have all been very happy neighbors on large lots when with families / jobs.

As retirees... they went together and built a 10 unit senior 'co-op' village. ~1200sf 'garden home' / shared wall duplexes / single level + 2 car garage (car + golf cart), all facing a large garden area with trees and flowers. (no cars, parking, or street in front, on a dead end street next to open space (i.e. QUIET and peaceful, as a home should be). Their 'community building' is 2 story, with commercial kitchen, dining room, craft / meeting room, Hobby shop, and (3) 1 bdrm apartment units... for visitors and / or shared caregiver.

I liked that arrangement., There is special HUD funding available for senior housing co-ops. (213?) https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/...esc/progsec213
http://coophousing.org/wp-content/up...ve-Funding.pdf
Eli Research: "Independent Seniors Flock to Co-ops
https://www.housinginternational.coo...es-of-america/

USDA research project (senior housing specific) indicated that seniors live independently 10 yrs longer when in a co-op, 'shared responsibility' facility. (where they are the OWNERS and managers of their own facility + they help each other out and share extra expenses (even cars as they age), rides, occasional meals... ). Some facilities have a couple minivans owned by the co-op or LLC, for shared or community use. You can check it out and use it for lumberyard or garage sales, or when your family is in town and you need to take a road trip for a day. Senior Co-op housing is designed with 'community space' / access, unlike Apartments and condos where you can go months without seeing your neighbors. The purpose is for community engagement and support. (+/-, not desired by all) For the 'others', there is no shortage of condos / apartments / MY space...

It is sometimes tough to find NICE neighbors!

Old 05-25-2019, 07:51 AM

14,013 posts, read 20,317,250 times
What are "Mahicans"?

Old 05-25-2019, 08:03 AM

431 posts, read 104,127 times
I just sold my home with acreage in March and closed on a condo about 3 weeks ago.

My condo is a 3/2 with a screened in balcony and is almost 1600 sq. ft and feels as spacious as a single family home.
It's on the second floor and the building has an elevator although I use the stairs for now.

Already I feel the freedom and that's just from not having to mow weekly. My summer will probably be taken up with settling in...painting, carpet replacement and a few new pieces of furniture to buy.

But after that I'm thinking of taking a few college courses, getting a bike, finding a yoga group, learning to play golf and looking into the various activities at this condo complex. Lots of stuff on that list and the best part is that now I have time.

I'm pretty excited about all this and look at it as my next adventure.
I've owned a SFH for the past 25 years so having so much more time on my hands now is a fairly new concept.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:05 AM

25,972 posts, read 32,962,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
She also expressed a concern last night that our closest neighborhood friends are nearly all 5+ years older than us, so we may find ourselves as the "Last of the Mahicans" in a few years. Surrounded by young couples who refuse to mow their lawns or perform exterior maintenance!
Why would that be?? I am surrounded by younger couples...nothing like that goes on here.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:48 AM

14,013 posts, read 20,317,250 times
"started looking surreptitiously"
Not recommended.
You need to talk about this.
You need to write down what you both want for future living.
This will be traumatic and you cannot finesse it.

We moved (at ages 62/53) eight years ago from a single-family house to a duplex.
We downsized our sqft by 100 and our mortgage to $zero.
We did not anticipate how much more we would like/love our new neighborhood.
We talked about moving and what we wanted for almost 2 years.
Twelve years ago we went down to one car. Now, we only put 4500 miles per year on one.

Last edited by davebarnes; 05-25-2019 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-25-2019, 09:11 AM

13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What are "Mahicans"?
My guess is it’s Mohicans, like the movie.

OP, we were looking for 2 years before we found our retirement home. While at the time, I would love a bigger yard and 3-car garage, I’m glad I ended up with a much smaller yard and 2-car garage. We’re down to one car now. Our front yard is like a condo, so it doesn’t have to be condo, just get a smaller yard. We only have cactus and palms. No grasss. I still have two story house, expect to be able to use stairs for at least 10-15 years. But we do have a bedroom downstairs. Right now I’m looking to add something to our garage space as living space, just in case we can’t climb stairs anymore. Perhaps adding laundry room in the garage. Right now it’s upstairs.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 13 days ago)

2,360 posts, read 4,300,636 times
For me.... I added a second home... lol, near the Great Smoky mountains of TN. I'm 66 wife is 60. We do like to hike and I still fly fish and hunt.

Living in rural Florida most of the year on acreage. No more farm critters (just dogs now), but more stuff. RV, offshore center console boat, ATV's, car haul trailer etc. I can't imagine ever living in a condo, but who knows. I need room for my stuff, visitors, or when they bring their RV or the kids come to visit.

I suppose as the years take their toll, I'll do more at home stuff in the shop and grow stuff. I need to be outside. Hate the AC and yet ...here I am inside typing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or