U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 11:32 AM

3,719 posts, read 2,131,470 times

Advertisements

Even people under 65 have these thoughts. I'm in my 30s and sometimes have these thoughts. There are times I think about what retirement could look like or what the back half of my life may be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 11:59 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Of course I think about time left. Nothing like signing mortgage papers to look into the future! I have always done all the proper things about will, beneficiaries, financial considerations, etc. Probably a lot because I've never had anyone standing behind me to help- elders, husband, partner, etc. I will have fixed income for the rest of life (Soc. Sec., pension) so no need to extrapolate age into the future.

I am aware that horseback riding might not be an older-age plan! So intend to treat it very much as a savoring in the present.

Like many people, deterioration in some yet-unknown ways is more of an issue than the inevitable.
I think it's a good plan. My county park system had an Over-55 horseback riding program a few years ago. I wish they would reinstate it now that I am retired.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:05 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Im 71, but in my head, Im about 50. Every so often, one of my contemporaries dies and I think, why them and not me? My youngest grandchild is 1, and I worry that I will miss the milestones in her life.

Meanwhile, I keep myself patched up, and hope for the best. It could go either way. 3 of my grandparents lived to late 80s. Parents and others died of various diseases. I figure, why spoil today by stressing about tomorrow?
I've been going to a lot of concerts lately just to enjoy the old rock n roll guys. Most are in their 70's and some still do a great job. It's nice to be able to shake their hand and say thank you for all the great music and you hear it today and it still sounds great! Brings back great memories too!

Old 05-27-2019, 12:14 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Its a joke that it is a waste of money for someone to buy green bananas because they may not live long enough for them to ripen and eat.
I am the first one to say I am/was very naive.

I worked for a large computer firm early on; very young and all the guys picked on me b/c I was so sheltered. I didn't do much outside of work b/c I was working 3 jobs and going to school.

All in fun though - they got me one day when I had never heard the word "keister" - probably spelling it wrong.

A couple of years later, we had a huge Christmas party (corporate) and the joke was to get me all beautified and see if any one recognized me. I will say most of the women did; the men did not; one of the funnest nights ever! I felt like an actress! The men NEVER figured it out and I don't think they were ever told; kind of an inside joke.

I learned a lot there though and I met my future husband through a girl I worked with (he was her bf at the time).

Old 05-27-2019, 12:44 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,852,979 times
While I do know that nothing lasts forever - there is nothing that makes me feel more invincible than a good bike workout.

Maybe it's the endorphins - but after 40 minutes/10 miles/300 calories on the bike at the gym - I feel like I can move mountains. I go directly to the strength training machines - and do another 20 minutes.

It's one thing to dwell on what we don't have - like time - it's better to acknowledge what makes you feel good.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:27 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it's a good plan. My county park system had an Over-55 horseback riding program a few years ago. I wish they would reinstate it now that I am retired.
I have always met the girls with horses! A major reason for moving to Colorado was to have a horse life. I am talking with an excellent horsewoman who runs a therapeutic riding program, and I am certified for same as a horse handler. Weather has kept the program from getting going yet, but she has also invited me to trail ride with her. I thought of maybe leasing a horse from her, but she seems to want to have me along to "help exercise the horses." No burden on me, that's for sure, although I still think of leasing a horse for trail riding.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:44 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times
I tell people that in 15 years I will be 100 years old. Whether I make it or not is anyone's guess.

There is always that thought that one of us will become the survivor, and how will that play out.

Our grandkids are 24 and 26. No one talks about great grandkids at this time.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:24 AM

37,092 posts, read 45,594,679 times
The original question made me think of what I wonder when I hear of someone in their 90s or 100s. Every night when they go to bed, do they fear that they won’t wake up?

Old 05-28-2019, 05:41 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The original question made me think of what I wonder when I hear of someone in their 90s or 100s. Every night when they go to bed, do they fear that they wont wake up?
Maybe not fear. My aunt, who died recently at 93, said she was ready (in pain, blind) and her religious beliefs seemed to give her a lot of comfort as to what would happen the day she didn't wake up. (A shame that her beliefs caused her to fear for my soul- I told her if there's a judgment, I'll stand on my actions, not my thoughts. I know I presented a bit of a dilemma for her beliefs but I think she died at peace, with her priest and all).

Old 05-28-2019, 06:17 AM

7,321 posts, read 3,032,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Those of you past 65: does thinking about this topic interest you? Do you dwell on it or is too sad or pessimistic? Even if you are in decent good health.
Sure, it's just math. I'm in the slow-go period now, will enter no-go in about 12-15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or