U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 06:24 AM

10,276 posts, read 4,852,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I've never thought about it, although I'm 73 and you might think I'd have considered it by now. However, my sister, who's 10 months younger than I am and has always been the healthy one, was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and amyloidosis this past January and will die this weekend. I should be going before she does. So, yes, I'm consumed with my mortality right now.
I'm sorry to hear that. My mother, who is almost 84, was diagnosed with amyloidosis 2 years ago and the treatment killed her bone marrow. She has 3-6 months, maybe longer with regular transfusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 06:45 AM

792 posts, read 210,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The original question made me think of what I wonder when I hear of someone in their 90s or 100s. Every night when they go to bed, do they fear that they won’t wake up?
My grandmother, a widow, who lived to late 80's said she would wake up and think "God, why didn't you take me last night." The reality was she required less sleep, was waking up at 5:00 am and had too many hours to fill with too few people still living to fill them with. She had always been active, worked through her 70's and was ready to go. With every death of a younger family member, she would say, "I don't know why God didn't take me instead."

Old 05-28-2019, 06:47 AM

5,601 posts, read 4,930,552 times
I think about how much time I have left...I'm not quite 65, but it is not uncommon for people to die in their 60s and 70s so who knows? It definitely affects my decisions on buying something new (if I can do without it, I will) , getting another pet (think I'll foster instead when my two elderly dogs pass), and paring down my belongings so my kids aren't stuck with having to liquidate my stuff.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:05 AM

10,276 posts, read 4,852,828 times
I'm 64 and have had breast & thyroid cancer. Even though I exercise and eat well I always feel like I have an earlier expiration date than many others.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:30 AM

4,740 posts, read 4,365,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Those of you past 65: does thinking about this topic interest you? Do you dwell on it or is too sad or pessimistic? Even if you are in decent good health.
I think it's natural for people to sometimes wonder about this as they get older. Me, I think about it, but try not to dwell upon it since it's a fairly pointless endeavor. All any of us really have is this present moment, and it's up to us to live in the present as fully as we can. Do that and whatever tomorrow brings will take care of itself.

It's a good day to be alive!

Old 05-28-2019, 03:11 PM

13,010 posts, read 6,222,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
My grandmother, a widow, who lived to late 80's said she would wake up and think "God, why didn't you take me last night." The reality was she required less sleep, was waking up at 5:00 am and had too many hours to fill with too few people still living to fill them with. She had always been active, worked through her 70's and was ready to go. With every death of a younger family member, she would say, "I don't know why God didn't take me instead."
I've seen this happen in my extended family.

My great-aunt lived in a nursing home for the last 10 years of her life. If assisted living existed them, I'm sure she would have avoided the nursing home. When she got to be 98, she decided that she was ready to die. As a result, she stopped eating and would tell anyone who visited her that she wanted to die and to leave her alone. It wasn't long before she got her wish.

My SIL's mother just turned 98. While she still lives at home, she needs help on a daily basis. For the last few years, my SIL has told me that her mother often cries and wonders why she is still alive. I'm impressed that she has made it to 98. In her lifetime, she had two triple bypasses (the second was because she outlived the first one) plus she had her carotid artery cleaned out when it was discovered it was clogged. It eventually clogged again and she was told that she was too old to be operated on. She did have a mild stroke about 10 years ago. Truly, I'm in awe that she is still around at 98 and still in full possession of her faculties!

Old 05-28-2019, 04:14 PM

37,088 posts, read 45,594,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I think about how much time I have left...I'm not quite 65, but it is not uncommon for people to die in their 60s and 70s so who knows? It definitely affects my decisions on buying something new (if I can do without it, I will) , getting another pet (think I'll foster instead when my two elderly dogs pass), and paring down my belongings so my kids aren't stuck with having to liquidate my stuff.
It is good to keep getting our affairs in order. Itís a process. I donít think we should stop living a full life...whatever that means to us. I assume that my husband and I will not die together. If we do, then the kids will need to work it out. If we do not, then the surviving spouse gets to make the decisions. If Iím dead, I wonít know. If dh is dead, he wonít know.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:06 PM

1,348 posts, read 543,801 times
I am 65 but too busy to think of death. I am still working and won't retire for another two years. My kids are finally done with school this month. So only now do I start to plan.

I start looking for a burial plot. To me it is just like looking for a new house. The only difference is the house that I moved in I will just occupy for 60-70 years at most but the burial plot is for the next 100-200 years where I will stay.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:29 PM

13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times
A lot of people don’t care for burial plot anymore. When my mom was alive, she and her in-laws bought a burial plot, she was buried there, fast forward 23 years later, one of her in laws died and he didn’t want to be buried there, neither does his wife. So the family is now looking for people to buy from them.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:43 PM

1,348 posts, read 543,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
A lot of people donít care for burial plot anymore. When my mom was alive, she and her in-laws bought a burial plot, she was buried there, fast forward 23 years later, one of her in laws died and he didnít want to be buried there, neither does his wife. So the family is now looking for people to buy from them.
That is what I found out. The housing price has gone through the roof but the burial plot resale price stays flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or