U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 09:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times

Advertisements

just give me 5 more minutes...

Yeah, aging has brought on a lot of, "I don't want to go there".

Cared for elderly all my life, but this time it is REAL!

Yikes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 10:03 AM

2,636 posts, read 1,542,579 times
The only time I think about how long I'm going to live is when I have to, for purposes of financial planning.
Generally, I prefer not to spend too much time thinking about things that are neither pleasant, nor productive. Better to spend the time left either thinking about what contributions I can still make, or else just having fun.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:03 AM

21,804 posts, read 16,674,400 times
I'm 65 and realize that I could die at any time or live another 30 years. No one knows how much longer they are going to live unless they have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and have been given an estimate of how much longer they have. While I don't dwell on it, I do think about it from time to time. My thoughts are that I would rather die while still physically and mentally capable rather than live to an older age suffering from dementia or having to live with severe physical weaknesses such as I could not care for myself. And I look forward to going home to be with the Lord in heaven. For that reason, if I were found to have a terminal illness and knew I was going to die within a year, I would consider it a blessing because I would know that soon I would be absent from the body and at home with the Lord.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:08 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,533,474 times
A awful lot of people die around 80, I'm 76

Old 05-25-2019, 10:49 AM

15,149 posts, read 19,745,101 times
I've never thought about it, although I'm 73 and you might think I'd have considered it by now. However, my sister, who's 10 months younger than I am and has always been the healthy one, was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and amyloidosis this past January and will die this weekend. I should be going before she does. So, yes, I'm consumed with my mortality right now.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:54 AM

3,960 posts, read 1,106,630 times
Live each day like it's your last. Try to be the best person you can be and wake up each morning and think of it like a miracle. If and when I die, I hope it's fast and painless.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:55 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
I think in terms of "at age 73 with a chronic illness, this is the last one......."

Recently I bought a new bed. I had my last one for longer than I remember. My 80-something friend told me really be sure the new one is the best because it will be the last one I buy (probably).

I think this way too. New sofa to replace the old one, new mixer, new table......all will probably outlast me. The jury is out on electronics. My previous TV lasted 16 years and my previous computer, 15. My present TV and computer may or may not live that long. Things are not made as well as they once were. I might just outlast them.

I also think in terms of the future. When I was in my 20's, 30's or even 40's if I were to hear the words, "20-30 years from now such and such will happen," I could be reasonably certain I would live to see it. Now that probably won't happen or if it does I may be too senile to comprehend it.

I hope I will outlive my ten year old kitty and probably will but one never knows.

Yeah, I think about the time I have left but since I don't know,how much that will be, I try to do as much as I like until that time comes.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:33 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,956,796 times
I think of it in relation to politics and what effect that is having on my diminishing remaining years.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:35 AM

244 posts, read 218,474 times
Let’s put it this way - I stopped buying green bananas.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:52 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I've never thought about it, although I'm 73 and you might think I'd have considered it by now. However, my sister, who's 10 months younger than I am and has always been the healthy one, was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and amyloidosis this past January and will die this weekend. I should be going before she does. So, yes, I'm consumed with my mortality right now.
Hang in there, something like that would really hit you. After 65yo there is so much randomness & luck involved more than earlier years, a real wheel of fortune going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or