U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times

Advertisements

I'll be 60 in a year and yes i do think of this.

Will it be 10, 20 , or 30?

If i go by my mom's history - at least 30 or more years on this earth. My dads
- maybe 15.

But i'm lucky since many of my high school classmates have already passed away. At least half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 08:52 PM

823 posts, read 563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'll be 60 in a year and yes i do think of this.

Will it be 10, 20 , or 30?

If i go by my mom's history - at least 30 or more years on this earth. My dads
- maybe 15.

But i'm lucky since many of my high school classmates have already passed away. At least half.
I'm roughly the same age and thought myself extremely healthy. All my life, I've been fit and well. But now, well, having received a cancer diagnosis earlier this year, all bets are off.

I've had the surgery and am having the adjuvant treatments. The cancer may never come back. Or, I may be gone before I reach FRA.

I'm determined to enjoy myself in the here and now. The future isn't guaranteed. I'm even thinking of retiring earlier than planned.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:09 PM

7,609 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Ever think how much time you have left?

Not much, just 42 times since I started reading this thread.

Ever since I was told 1) I had an incurable lung disorder and 2) it won't kill me, I've been looking at mortality a little differently.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:35 PM

443 posts, read 280,893 times
Iíve cried a bit, reading these responses. I think this thread represents the retirement group at its best, frank and honest and vulnerable, and through this, helping each other. Sympathy to those struggling with health issues. And those who have discussed the loss of friends and relatives, yeah, it has had a big impact on my view of life and thoughts about mortality, also. Thereís a wonderful poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay about loss, itís helped me in the past, so Iíll set it out in case it helps anyone else here.

I am not resigned to the shutting away of loving hearts in the hard ground.
So it is, and so it will be, for so it has been, time out of mind:
Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely. Crowned
With lilies and with laurel they go; but I am not resigned.

Lovers and thinkers, into the earth with you.
Be one with the dull, the indiscriminate dust.
A fragment of what you felt, of what you knew,
A formula, a phrase remains,óbut the best is lost.

The answers quick and keen, the honest look, the laughter, the love,ó
They are gone. They are gone to feed the roses. Elegant and curled
Is the blossom. Fragrant is the blossom. I know. But I do not approve.
More precious was the light in your eyes than all the roses in the world.

Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave
Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;
Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.
I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:50 PM

11,231 posts, read 11,254,000 times
It's on my mind a lot. I'm 69 and have energy issues. I get exhausted easily. People with consistent low energy tend to die younger so I'm thinking my number is probably up at 73-76 or in that neighborhood. Interesting that my mother is 99 and thriving--still walking, still in possession of her mental faculties. She did nothing special her entire life except work hard to take care of her kids and eat whatever she wanted. It's in the genes. Some of us were born with it, most of us weren't including me, probably. My big thing is I don't want to suffer or be a burden. Painkillers have been defacto banned in America due to the opiate crisis so don't expect any pain relief coming from physicians here. They're too terrified of the Feds to prescribe painkillers for your pain. I've registered with a physician-end-of-life organization in Switzerland. When I know I'm a year from dying I'll take a flight there to drink a glass of liquid that will put me to sleep forever. I have no religion so I don't worry about the consequences of my actions.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:28 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,349,398 times
Thrillobyte — thanks for your honesty and candor.
Would you mind sharing the name of the organization in Switzerland you have found out about?
Thanks

Old 05-26-2019, 05:37 AM

13,874 posts, read 7,386,288 times
I think about it in the context of contingency planning. My mother is 87. My father made it to his mid-80s. I don’t dwell much on my mortality. I’ve always tried to live a full life.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:45 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,961,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Spooky at the moment since I just lost (2) friends (<age 65), and 'stuff happens' in (3's)...

We were very much alike and good buds.

I'm still vertical (as they say). temporarily
Maybe one day they will bury people vertically to save space. And to keep our feet to the fire, so to speak.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:08 AM

10,192 posts, read 12,235,799 times
Wayne Huizenga had a saying "QTL" - Quality Time Left!

Nobody wants to live to a 100 if they spend the last 20 years in a wheel chair feeding through a tube. i'd rather drop dead at 65 doing something cool/fun than live 20 more years in a handicapped state.

Wayne was a billionaire and lived to be 80. His wife died a about 15 months earlier at age 74. I'd bet those last 15 months were bad for Wayne without his wife definitely not QTL.

This guy had mansions/yachts/planes/sports teams/won the world series/owned 3 Fortune 500 companies.......and he valued QTL the most. I would hope more people would realize the QTL concept before wasting all their time doing stuff that won't bring them happiness in the end.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:59 AM

2,435 posts, read 3,659,178 times
Aware of our ages, cognizant of the future constraints which may arise, and planning for those inevitables, but we don't dwell on them. Examples are: planing to retire while our health is still good since the financial component appears safe, starting to de-clutter for a some time in the future down-sizing into an easier to care for dwelling, discussion that if we desire a pet in the future we will only adopt a middle aged animal.

We attended the funeral last weekend for the 62 year old husband of one of my wife's co-workers. Active person in good health who rode his bicycle to work on his final day, and dropped dead at work while walking away from his Teller's Station. Things like this make you think about your own future a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or