U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 07:10 AM

30 posts, read 17,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I wouldn't call it sad or pessimistic, but once you get past the basic goal of getting your ducks in a row, it does seem pointless. Why waste time dwelling on something when you have no way of knowing? You could get hit by a truck an hour from now. Or, you could live to be 100. Even when it comes to have my ducks in a row, I wouldn't say I spend more time thinking about it now than I did when I was younger. I've always done things like make a will, etc.

So I guess my answer is I have just enough time left to find ways to enjoy myself every day.
This from an area near me. Retired two weeks ago. I just wanna live while Iím alive.

PD: Former Dep. Chief of Rio Verde Fire District dies in Buckeye crash - Story | KSAZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 07:13 AM

1,177 posts, read 466,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Those of you past 65: does thinking about this topic interest you? Do you dwell on it or is too sad or pessimistic? Even if you are in decent good health.
Every day is a gift.

Focus on the now and on short term small special goals, IMO.

We don't know when we'll go or how we'll go.

Let's just be grateful.

Attitude is gratitude.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:15 AM

8,762 posts, read 7,693,193 times
I'm a serious Christian, so I believe in eternal life. My only concern is now taking care of my wife and establishing some kind of living arrangement for my handicapped son after Im gone.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:41 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
I started waking up every morning thinking, "Will this be the day that I die?" when I was six and a same-age cousin died. It lasted until I was in my forties, when I found myself in a position where it was quite possible that I was facing the moment of my death. A lot of people near me died, and I did not.

After that, I began to notice that the fear of death was gone. I'd been a white-knuckle flyer before that, now I enjoy flying. I think that day hammered home the idea that you are gonna die when you are gonna die and there's nothing you can really do about it. It's a peaceful feeling.

I do wonder how and when I will die, but I'm not afraid of it anymore, and I'm enjoying living in the meantime. It's also nice not to wake up with that thought anymore.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:50 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
I don’t waste too much time thinking about when I’m going to go either. My mind is racing every night before I go to bed, try very hard to calm myself thinking about what I’m going to do when I get up in the morning. That’s what having a garden do to you. You got to take care of lots of things. My thoughts are occupying about what to plant next. Who has time worrying about anything else.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:59 AM

11,080 posts, read 12,461,714 times
Ever think how much time you have left?

Nope. When your numbers up, it's up.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:09 AM

11,228 posts, read 11,254,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thrillobyte — thanks for your honesty and candor.
Would you mind sharing the name of the organization in Switzerland you have found out about?
Thanks

Well, if it's permitted, the names of the organizations are Dignitas and Lifecircle

https://www.lifecircle.ch/?l=en

Brochure of DIGNITAS

Old 05-26-2019, 10:20 AM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile Absolutely true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Wayne Huizenga had a saying "QTL" - Quality Time Left!

Nobody wants to live to a 100 if they spend the last 20 years in a wheel chair feeding through a tube. i'd rather drop dead at 65 doing something cool/fun than live 20 more years in a handicapped state.

Wayne was a billionaire and lived to be 80. His wife died a about 15 months earlier at age 74. I'd bet those last 15 months were bad for Wayne without his wife definitely not QTL.

This guy had mansions/yachts/planes/sports teams/won the world series/owned 3 Fortune 500 companies.......and he valued QTL the most. I would hope more people would realize the QTL concept before wasting all their time doing stuff that won't bring them happiness in the end.
I attended the same school Wayne went to for a few years; didn't graduate from there for high school but graduated 8th grade and attended 9th grade. My dad knew Wayne; then my husband worked for him in his first job out of college.

He was there 12 years. Always had good things to say about him.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:24 AM

1,163 posts, read 970,797 times
I only think about it when I'm planting trees.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:34 AM

6,545 posts, read 3,653,233 times
There are a few things that I would like to see happening in my lifetime that I worry about but I don't stress over how much time I have left, personally. Take each day as it comes and do what you can. I do feel that sometimes I have frittered away some days by procrastination. I put off my hip replacement for much too long and could have had a better and more active couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or