U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 03:53 PM

265 posts, read 74,113 times

Advertisements

Well, I don't buy green bananas....but it's more because I don't really like green bananas than worrying about being around to eat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 04:02 PM

5,170 posts, read 8,693,102 times
Smile Not to be dense but...

I'm not a banana lover but what is it about green bananas?

Old 05-26-2019, 04:58 PM

37,097 posts, read 45,622,935 times
Im 71, but in my head, Im about 50. Every so often, one of my contemporaries dies and I think, why them and not me? My youngest grandchild is 1, and I worry that I will miss the milestones in her life.

Meanwhile, I keep myself patched up, and hope for the best. It could go either way. 3 of my grandparents lived to late 80s. Parents and others died of various diseases. I figure, why spoil today by stressing about tomorrow?

Old 05-26-2019, 06:57 PM

13,031 posts, read 6,227,390 times
I never gave my mortality any serious thought until I turned 60. There was something about being that age that made me stop and think. Perhaps it was because my brother had died earlier that year. He was 56 and had lung cancer. During his life, he was one of the "walking wounded" --- depressed but still was able to get through each day. He self-medicated with tobacco, pot and alcohol. No one he worked with would ever had guessed he was an alcoholic as he was at work every day and did a good job. It's been 6 years since his passing but every year his b'day rolls around, I think of how old he would have been. My younger brother is still around. Of the two brothers, I always thought he would go first because he leads a reckless life---lots of motorcycle riding and dirt bike riding.

Many of you brought up good points. For example, if someone says "20 years down the road..." I now wonder if I will be here then. My oldest grandsons just turned 13. Often I find myself hoping I'm still around to see them become young men.

My mother, who was two years older than my father, used to believe that she would outlive him based on women living longer than men. She died 20 years ago at 75. She had been a long time heavy smoker, only quitting 10 years before she died. Also, she was an alcoholic. In the end, Alzheimer's plus lung and liver cancer got her. My father died last year---2 days after turning 93. He had been in slowly declining health to the point where we knew he didn't have much time to live.

My husband is 8 years older than I. He is convinced that I will outlive him. I tell him, you never know.

We live in an apartment building with lots of retirees. Many are old enough to be my parents. As we befriend people, I am aware that if we live here long enough, we will lose many. In talking with some, one person told us that they never sign 2 year leases because 2 years down the road, you can't predict where you will be in terms of health. We took that to heart when it was time to renew our lease.

One of the residents said he thinks that for retirees living here, we are all in a holding pattern with the question being what will come next? I said, "There is always Sunrise". To which he said, "Nobody ever says 'I'm going to move to Sunrise' ". Yeah, but sometimes that's where life leads us next.

Last year, we bought a new bed. It was more expensive than any other bed we owned. My husband said it was going to be our last bed so we might as well splurge on a good one

Meanwhile, I go about my day-to-day life. On bad days, I try to remind myself to find some good in each day since none of us know how many more days we have ahead. I've made a promise to myself that I will go through my belongings---weed out what we no longer need, and organize what we need or want to pass on to family. I learned that from my aunt (mother's sister). In her later years in life, she would spend time doing just that. Every time we would visit her, she would say that she wasn't making much progress. She passed over 3 years ago at 90. The last 2 years of her life, her health really declined as she gradually slipped into dementia. Looking back, I think she did make a good dent in her work at thinning out her belongings.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:59 AM

238 posts, read 84,688 times
Last year, we bought a new bed. It was more expensive than any other bed we owned. My husband said it was going to be our last bed so we might as well splurge on a good one

Looking back, I think she did make a good dent in her work at thinning out her belongings.[/quote]

Points I can relate to! I'm nearly 63, and two years ago I bought the most luxurious bed imaginable, knowing it'd very likely be my last one. It's so comfortable that I always risk taking a way longer nap than planned. Even more significant is weeding out 80% of everything in my house. Unless I want a glorious museum to myself, i see no reason to hold onto so many things anymore. Time and again I see older houses being demolished on the block, their particular eras over, and I have no illusions about this house, or myself. But for the time being I'll make the best of it.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:33 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,265,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I'm not a banana lover but what is it about green bananas?
Its a joke that it is a waste of money for someone to buy green bananas because they may not live long enough for them to ripen and eat.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:47 AM

18,350 posts, read 23,523,787 times
I celebrate every birthday as ive never done with a mindset "I made it this far" !!!

ive been to too many funerals and seen too many young people die and suffer....and seen too many people squander their life on drugs or alcohol....

I will live my days appreciating....more not regretting...

mortality is more real as you age but I also think many or most of us are not afraid to go.....we've had some rich memories and just hope we go quick and painless and not be a burden to anyone else..

time...is measured many ways by clocks or calendars.....but a content heart...soul... lives forever...

I believe our spirit lives on . ive had a "visit" from an older relative I couldn't deny ..

Old 05-27-2019, 04:32 AM

17,392 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Eastern Philosophy: Every day you don't contemplate your own death is a totally wasted day!

Had my life lines read in India back in 1991 by 5 different Palmists, and 4 said I'd die at 82, one at 83!

At any rate, I'm hoping to get out of here before the Greatest Show On Earth arrives, the nuclear holocaust!

More than likely I'll be ending my own life one day, and it'll be done out of a panic attack. I worked in Long-Term Care Facilities for over 20 years and I'll never take that route.

Last edited by tijlover; 05-27-2019 at 04:42 AM..

Old 05-27-2019, 05:55 AM

688 posts, read 864,292 times
I'll be 76 in 6 weeks, and in generally good health. I've had diabetes for 23 years, and have never had to take insulin, and have never had any real clinical symptoms. But, in spite of best intentions, that could change, I know. I don't "feel" 76, and most people, including myself, don't feel I look that age, whatever that age is supposed to look like, these days.
I had middle-aged parents, who lived to mid, late 80's, and I worked as a geriatric social worker. My experience has been that there are usually significant changes by mid eighties, in spite of trying to live well. Organs eventually break down .I have no desire to live much beyond that. Life becomes harder, and it becomes more difficult to recover from illness, and regain strength. I am on waiting list for a CCRC, have been offered a small cottage there, but turned it down now. I'm not ready for that smaller life yet.
I'm really hoping that I won't have to make a decision, just drop over here, although I don't want cats and significant other to outlive me. Also, with climate change already being significantly felt, I have no desire to live for many years with that as an increasing issue.
So yes, I think about aging and dying a great deal, and feel I'm making the most thoughtful preparations for it.
Catsy

Old 05-27-2019, 07:52 AM

1,068 posts, read 633,147 times
"live like you want to cause you know what they said...you might live a long time but you're a long time dead"

James Brown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or