U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 08:16 AM

13,200 posts, read 6,308,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
"live like you want to cause you know what they said...you might live a long time but you're a long time dead"

James Brown
Within reason of course. In the last week, there was in the news that some people died at 55 by climbing Mt Everest, died on the way down, they did reach their goal but died after that. My husband and I said there was no way we would want to try that even at 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 08:23 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Within reason of course. In the last week, there was in the news that some people died at 55 by climbing Mt Everest, died on the way down, they did reach their goal but died after that. My husband and I said there was no way we would want to try that even at 25.
I was reading a story about all the bodies left up there

They do try to remove some

Old 05-27-2019, 08:34 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Those of you past 65: does thinking about this topic interest you? Do you dwell on it or is too sad or pessimistic? Even if you are in decent good health.
Iíll be 82 in July and I think about it briefly everytime I buy bananas.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:44 AM

1,695 posts, read 608,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post

A lot of people who are not ice climbers/technical climbers still hike to the Everest Base Camp. I did it when I was 52, and saw a lot of people in their 70s. In fact, Himalayan hikers are either young (in their 20s) or retired (60s and 70s). I had met two guys hiking the trail, in their mid 60s, one of whom was hiking it for the 9th time. It is indeed an amazing place which cannot even be photographed, the photos have no way of conveying the height of the surrounding mountains and the immensity of space around you. One person that went up hiking to the Base Camp a week before me died there of heart attack on his 70th birthday... I guess overestimated himself a bit... People who die on that trail are either cremated right on the trail, or (in case of real ice climbers) left up there in the ice. It costs $250,000 just to get a rescue helicopter off the ground, plus for most people who die from falls, it is not safe or even possible to retrieve the body. But I personally think it is one of the better ways to die. It is absolutely amazing up there..

Old 05-27-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
A lot of people who are not ice climbers/technical climbers still hike to the Everest Base Camp. I did it when I was 52, and saw a lot of people in their 70s. In fact, Himalayan hikers are either young (in their 20s) or retired (60s and 70s). I had met two guys hiking the trail, in their mid 60s, one of whom was hiking it for the 9th time. It is indeed an amazing place which cannot even be photographed, the photos have no way of conveying the height of the surrounding mountains and the immensity of space around you. One person that went up hiking to the Base Camp a week before me died there of heart attack on his 70th birthday... I guess overestimated himself a bit... People who die on that trail are either cremated right on the trail, or (in case of real ice climbers) left up there in the ice. It costs $250,000 just to get a rescue helicopter off the ground, plus for most people who die from falls, it is not safe or even possible to retrieve the body. But I personally think it is one of the better ways to die. It is absolutely amazing up there..
That’s a good way to go without needing LTC I guess. But I saw long lines of people, that may be the reason, too much oxigen was used by waiting.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I was reading a story about all the bodies left up there

They do try to remove some
This is recently too, not bodies left from the past.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:01 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/w...gtype=Homepage

Old 05-27-2019, 09:06 AM

762 posts, read 808,645 times
For me, it's hard not to think about it. Knowing what my parents' health issues were and at what age they passed away gives me an idea of when I might pass.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:55 AM

256 posts, read 153,900 times
As the OP, I must say reading these comments depresses me but thanks for honesty.

I began thinking on this after my mother passed a few years ago. She was very aged and in poor health. Since then I was diagnosed with 2 life threatening diseases but am in good health now more or less.
I believe that often the things we worry most about do not occur, but other things occur that we did not predict. This has been true for me many times. When your plans change, the worries change. If you are afraid of the effects of thin air and low energy on your breathing that may be a pointless fear and something else becomes problematic.
Sometimes wishful thinking is better than realism. Happy people are optmistic wishful thinkers, frequently wrong, pessimists are more realistic and correct, studies show. I'm the latter.

It is easy to say make every day count. How do you do that exactly? Watching television and movies? Writing on forums? No. Yet on another forum, a recent widow said that her husband will miss his favorite TV shows the most. Sad.

Last edited by carnelian; 05-27-2019 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: clarity.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Of course I think about time left. Nothing like signing mortgage papers to look into the future! I have always done all the proper things about will, beneficiaries, financial considerations, etc. Probably a lot because I've never had anyone standing behind me to help- elders, husband, partner, etc. I will have fixed income for the rest of life (Soc. Sec., pension) so no need to extrapolate age into the future.

I am aware that horseback riding might not be an older-age plan! So intend to treat it very much as a savoring in the present.

Like many people, deterioration in some yet-unknown ways is more of an issue than the inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or