U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2019, 12:50 PM

65 posts, read 21,499 times

Advertisements

Always thought it might be kind of fun to get a metal detector, anyone have one and is it interesting / fun? Experiences? Recommendations on detectors?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 01:52 PM

4,760 posts, read 3,189,988 times
Several years ago, we purchased one. We went around our back yard of the house we were living in-find all sorts of interesting items-a silver spoon, a door to a toy truck, a Hot Wheels car, a dime and there was one thing we kept digging and digging. Come to find out it was a drain of some sort for the town office building right behind the house. The building used to be the high school about 100 + years ago. We asked them about it and they had no idea.

Since moving into this house, we haven't had a chance to use it on this yard-UNTIL about 2 weeks ago. We started in the front but I really didn't want to be digging holes all over the front yard. Besides, we believe most of what was making the beeps were pieces of our metal roof. So we moved to the backyard. We found "interesting" things like two cans (one beer and one we THINK was soda), some kind of gasket, we found a metal sheet of some sort that we couldn't get out and we just gave up. But the "most interesting" thing we found was right next to that sheet was a small plastic cow. Yeah, not much. I was hoping to find some coins. At least at the other house we found a dime.

Cat

Old 05-26-2019, 05:41 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,312,679 times
There is a British television comedy called the Detectorists. It was on Netflix. Very good show, interesting laws in UK about antiquities.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:41 PM

78,810 posts, read 33,532,796 times
Two friends of mine are in to it big time. They have nice detectors. They have found a lot of old cool stuff. Coins, diamond and gold rings. They have more than paid for their metal detectors.

There is an old house near me that is a tourist attraction. One of them talked his way into searching their property with the guarantee that anything he found would be turned over to them. He found a missing silver spoon that had been lost for decades.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:55 PM

9,570 posts, read 10,914,867 times
If you're in the right area, combine your metal detector with either a sluice or dry washing. This way you can get both nuggets and small particles. There are many ways to do this. Jeff Williams shows us two ways.

Watch more, read, and get your share of the shiny. You'll find gold in good amounts from Vermont, site of America's first gold rush, to California. Floridians should head for NE Georgia or North Carolina Both states produced enough gold to support branch mints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpiCsyUzQ3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PK5wfIkxyU

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 05-27-2019 at 01:04 PM..

Old 05-28-2019, 04:18 PM

4,760 posts, read 3,189,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
If you're in the right area, combine your metal detector with either a sluice or dry washing. This way you can get both nuggets and small particles. There are many ways to do this. Jeff Williams shows us two ways.

Watch more, read, and get your share of the shiny. You'll find gold in good amounts from Vermont, site of America's first gold rush, to California. Floridians should head for NE Georgia or North Carolina Both states produced enough gold to support branch mints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpiCsyUzQ3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PK5wfIkxyU

I know that there is a lot of gold in Vermont. Hubby & I have talked about going to search for it but just haven't yet. We even bought a pan. (Step) son-in-law in a geologist and he KNOWS how to find gold. We went with him in California once-yup, we found a bit. He found some here in Vermont which was turned into wedding rings for my step-son and (now) his ex.

Cat

Old 05-29-2019, 04:41 AM

4 posts, read 1,121 times
It's a great hobby if your back and knees can handle it.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:20 AM

6,301 posts, read 3,569,825 times
Aargh! I woke up one morning and two guys were on my boulevard with metal detectors. We own our home and the boulevard belongs to the city. But we have lived here for forty plus years and chances are good anything close to the surface would have been something we lost.

I actually did lose a gold and opal earring in the front one snowy winter evening. Would they have asked if I had lost an earring?

Legally I guess they were within their rights. From a neighborly standpoint I wasn't very pleased with the intrusion or the divots. Just 'cuz.

It looks like a fun hobby but I hope people will think about courtesy when they practice it.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:34 AM

2,384 posts, read 909,421 times
Have hunted for lost treasures for years. Had a metal detector for the water (Excaliber) the dry sand (Etrac) and for park and relic hunting (XLT). Found many pieces of lost jewelry, coinage as well as silver coins. Every opportunity I had free I'd be swinging my coil, whether it be winter or summer. I could not wait till the day I retired so that I could enjoy my hobby and find what the ground or water had buried beneath.
Well, I've been retired now almost 3 years. Not once did I pick up one of my detectors and as a matter of fact I sold most of my equipment. The only one I kept was my Excaliber, as it found me the most treasures and costs me the most when purchased.
It's a fun and rewarding hobby and one of the few that actually pay for itself. Just gotta be patient, find the time and need open space to hunt.
I'd recommend anybody that was looking to get into the metal detecting hobby to purchase a mid range detector. If you buy a cheap one, it may not work as deep. If you buy an expensive one, you'll have a closet queen of you lose interest. Mod grade will cost about $500 or so. My Excaliber when new, with mods, was $2200.
It's fun and rewarding but somehow after doing it for about 30 years, I just lost all interest overnight.
Good luck and happy hunting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement