U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 04:42 AM

1,193 posts, read 471,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
To a new post retirement hobby. I had read posts from MathJack about the perks he gets with credit cards.So I started reading everything I could find on it. I was [and still am] getting lots of goodies by doing online surveys, but because of the rewards I am now receiving from credit cards I am flying for free and getting much of my cruise fare paid with credit card points and miles.

This is so fun. I always make sure that I have the money in the bank beore I charge anything, and then pay the balancce 3 days later when it shows on my credit card accounts.[ I would pay early anyway, but it makes even more sense to pay several times a month as I have a lower limit based on my lower income] So easy. This is all part of my "Live like Royalty on a low income while still saving money every month" plan. Even before we lost almost all of our money [twice] because of catastrophic circumstances, I never thought that I would be able to live like this!

Thank you Mathjack!
Great story.

I hope to find Math Jack's thread on this or posts on this.

Or, can Math Jack start a thread?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 05:14 AM

71,515 posts, read 71,694,121 times
it wasn't specifically one thread , but a number of threads from time to time where we discuss the perks and points on our cards. i use the chase trinity , the unlimited , the sapphire reserve and the freedom . then i take advantage of which has the best points offer at the time . ultimately i transfer it all to the sapphire reserve

Old 05-28-2019, 06:47 AM

2,372 posts, read 7,761,282 times
I use my CC a lot outside of the US, mainly in Germany. That means my CC needs to have no foreign currency transaction fees, and has chip with PIN verification (instead of the typical chip + signature-only for US issued cards). Only a small number of US issued CC meet these needs. I get 1.5% cash rewards on everything, not bad for a no-fee CC. My CC is from USAA, but I'm sure there are a few others like this. Also, American Express cards are is not widely accepted in many countries. Visa or MC seems to work in most places.

In Germany, when I buy groceries at a supermarket, or train tickets at the automated kiosk, I use my CC for payment and need to input my PIN to clear the transaction. Many US credit cards will not work because they are not linked to a PIN number.

There might be a 2% on everything CC out there somewhere, with no foreign currency fees, with chip and PIN. If anyone knows of that, I'd be curious. PenFed has one for veterans like me, but says I need to open a checking account too. Don't know if they have chip with PIN verification.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:04 AM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,218 posts, read 3,419,755 times
Mathjak. Chicks dig him, guys want to be him.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:51 AM

I wouldn’t go that far. Lol

Old 05-28-2019, 11:26 AM

404 posts, read 355,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
some cards are at 29.99% interest ... chase lost a ton of money first year with their sapphire cards ..even though they have fees of 450 a year or so the perks in the first year can be 3 to 4x that ...we got over 2k in points first year we had it
We used this card and points and flew the whole family of five to Europe last year for next to nothing ($2600 value). I'd say that's a pretty good return on $450. We still keep the card even with the annual fee, the benefits outweigh the cost since our family like to travel vacation and eat out a lot.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:59 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,211,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The advantage of miles is that they have a variable "exchange rate" vis-a-vis money. There are times when the miles are priceless (such as getting stuck in an airport where you need to fly somewhere NOW and the cash fare is exorbitant) and times when they're not (such as when there are cheap airfares in the market and you can plan ahead). I can't count the number of times I got where I was going because I had the miles to spare and not the money.

Thank you, very helpful info for a newbie.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:25 PM

2,173 posts, read 534,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I just have a way with women. Lol
For some reason, upon reading this, my first thought was Mathjak in a threadbare trench coat and women making 911 calls ...

Just kidding.

it wasn't my first thought.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:26 PM

2,173 posts, read 534,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I recommend flyertalk_dot_com if you really want to learn more. They have separate forums for each airline and mileage program and even one for alternative ways to get points (S.P.A.M., or Sites with Points and Alternative Miles). I don't follow them as closely as I used to when I was traveling for business, but they get news early about changes in programs, credit card signup bonuses, etc. As a result of what I learned there, I got Lifetime Gold status on AA (racked up 1 million miles BEFORE they allowed any mile, whether earned by flying or not)
On the one hand, I miss being Global Services on United.

On the other hand, I'm soooooo done with flying commercial.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
For some reason, upon reading this, my first thought was Mathjak in a threadbare trench coat and women making 911 calls ...

Just kidding.

it wasn't my first thought.
lets not forget my favorite pick up line " does this cloth smell like chloroform to you ?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or