U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 03:20 PM

2,072 posts, read 703,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
On the one hand, I miss being Global Services on United.

On the other hand, I'm soooooo done with flying commercial.
I kind of like being a "free agent". I travel to far-flung places in retirement so I need to get on a plane occasionally. You can't drive to Hawaii! My AA status gets me a free checked bag and (somewhat) priority boarding and occasional Priority TSA lines. My Hilton status gets me a freebie breakfast buffet at Hilton properties (unlike the Hampton Inns, where it's included in the rate, the buffet at a Hilton can be way overpriced).

But, on the long-hauls I fly Business, so no matter what airline I fly I get treated nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 02:46 AM

9,125 posts, read 2,996,123 times
The best way I've found to save money on card purchases, is not to make so many of them.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:00 AM

71,479 posts, read 71,652,652 times
depends ... if it is stuff you need to buy anyway you may as maximize every penny in points which are like a rebate..bad financial behavior is bad behavior no matter how you buy ...

Old 05-29-2019, 05:43 AM

19,826 posts, read 18,832,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The best way I've found to save money on card purchases, is not to make so many of them.
Silly you need to buy food (2 points on my cc) and most of us need to buy gas (3 pts) and every once in a while you need something like clothing or get your hair cut (1 point on my cc.) In retirement we don't need to buy much but we still need to buy a few things. Sometimes there are extras like eating out (1 point) or staying overnight in a motel (1 point). I pay the dr and dentist with the cc (1 point.) May as well put it on a cc and get points that you can redeem for cash. We keep everything on that one credit card, pay it off, then redeem the points. I seldom buy anything I don't need except if we go on vacation, the entire vacation is not really needed. Well, in a way it IS needed. Vacations are good for you.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 AM

2,072 posts, read 703,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I've read of the studies that say people spend more if they just have to hand over plastic rather than pay with cold cash or a debit card. It's probably true, but (1) I don't want to carry that much cash around and (2) I'm happy with my overall spending levels, so I'm not concerned about whether they're higher because I have credit cards.

You could also argue that prices probably reflect the additional cost of paying a % to the bank- unless you can negotiate a discount for cash (and some places will), you're paying for those perks anyway.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:40 AM

1,178 posts, read 466,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it wasn't specifically one thread , but a number of threads from time to time where we discuss the perks and points on our cards. i use the chase trinity , the unlimited , the sapphire reserve and the freedom . then i take advantage of which has the best points offer at the time . ultimately i transfer it all to the sapphire reserve
Thanks, Math Jack.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:19 AM

3,910 posts, read 4,644,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've read of the studies that say people spend more if they just have to hand over plastic rather than pay with cold cash or a debit card. It's probably true, but (1) I don't want to carry that much cash around and (2) I'm happy with my overall spending levels, so I'm not concerned about whether they're higher because I have credit cards.
Historically, that has been true for me - and my debt got out of hand. Manageable, but I was still suffering because of massive payments to credit cards.

FINALLY about two years ago I got serious about paying off my debt, and this month I paid off one and in October I'll have my 2nd one paid off. At that point I'll just have one remaining and will spend the next year making MASSIVE payments to get that one paid off quickly. I find now that I'm only using cash or debit I definitely spend less than I used to.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,207,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
depends ... if it is stuff you need to buy anyway you may as maximize every penny in points which are like a rebate..bad financial behavior is bad behavior no matter how you buy ...

That's what I do. I never buy stuff with a credit card that I wouldn't buy if I had to pay cash. I always have enough to pay off all my cc's at the end of the month. I learned to live within my means decades ago.

At my income level, that means no coffee shops, very little eating out, no cable, etc. That may sound like no life to some people, but it's so worth it to not have to worry about where I'd get the money to replace a roof or a refrigerator. There are other ways to entertain and treat myself that don't involve money.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:33 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
I play the credit card game for the big bonuses, otherwise all charge goes to my Costco card with cash back. No overspending. In fact, we need to replace our TV last year, but my husband didn’t want to. He finally agreed to let me buy it.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 05-29-2019 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,312,212 times
We use credit cards to pay for everything possible. They all get points or cash back.

One card is for online recurring charges only. One card is cash back, which we get the highest percentage on dining out and hotels. Dining out is one of our enjoyable pass times in retirement. Another card gets points that can be used various things, but we generally put them on Amazon. We no longer use air miles, because we only fly if necessary. We always pay them off in full every month.

We don’t spend more because we are using the cards, we are at the point of buying whatever we want in retirement anyway, enjoying after being frugal for much of our lives. Besides the points and cash back an advantage of the cards is an accounting of everything spent. We have high limits so quick cash is available for emergencies. Also being able to cancel a charge if the product is defective, etc., is a good thing. I’m not sure why some people are so adverse to their use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or