U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:46 PM

13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
All looked into, thank you.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Hello BDL, I am not medically literate, so will resist giving advice. But, do hope you feel better soon!
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I think I've had enough medical literacy! The internet is a tricky thing.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:20 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Thanks for the update. I've been following your journey to, and then into retirement. I'm glad you are continuing the story. Wishing you continued healing. I do think it takes quite a while to fully recover from the exhaustion of a long, stressful career.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:27 PM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times
BDL: I would not consider myself qualified to even guess for a diagnosis. But, if I were you, I would go to a university medical center and get a full work up. University of Colorado in Denver might be the closest to you. It's obviously not getting better thus far and you certainly deserve to have a better retirement life. JMHO

Old 05-27-2019, 07:34 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
How does the PCP know it will get worse if you don't have a diagnosis? ??
Do you have any interest or efforts with Functional Medicine or anything that isn't the "usual" medical course?
My PCP has a good sense of humor, which is easier because he is not the one with severe fatigue, muscles weakness, aches and pains. I do have a sky high ANA so we both suppose eventually that will mature into a recognizable auto immune disease.

I have seen more than I want when it comes to alternative medical approaches. I spent my career in large and or specialized medical testing laboratories. In addition to the operational and technical aspects of the lab, I spent a great deal of time working with physicians and other providers regarding use of lab tests and interpretation of results. I think I have seen it all. That would include a small percentage of fakes, frauds and cheats. But mostly there are lots and lots of well intentioned practitioners trying to move beyond the limitations of medical knowledge to help patients.

On the surface many of the approaches sound great, including "functional" medicine. Functional med uses a "GOTOIT" approach which is supposed to take a look at multiple disease factors including patient history, genetics, and lifestyle. It sounds great, but the bottom line seems to be a nutritional and lifestyle approach to curing and preventing disease. Personally I will put my faith in evidence and scientifically based medicine even if that often falls short. Whenever "nutrition" enters the picture, I lose interest. I spent some years in nutritional research and know that the science is at best minimal and seriously tainted by interests of the food and supplement industries.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:40 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,338,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Thank you. I agree.
I also agree.

I have Fibromyalgia - one of those invisible illnesses that just saps my energy. They used to call it psychosomatic. Now it is recognized as real. But nobody knows the cause and nobody has the cure.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:45 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I also agree.

I have Fibromyalgia - one of those invisible illnesses that just saps my energy. They used to call it psychosomatic. Now it is recognized as real. But nobody knows the cause and nobody has the cure.
But at least the diagnosis is relatively clear and some of the basic pathophysiology is understood.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:56 PM

1,924 posts, read 986,927 times
Just to say hello and perhaps give you hope, I feel better at 70 than I did when I was widowed and retired at 60. I agree with you concerning the long term effects of shift work and exhaustion.

I hope you will keep us posted.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:57 PM

78 posts, read 65,510 times
Have you tried fasting? I am doing the one meal a day now and going without food for 23 hours....5pm to 5pm the next day. I drink coffee in the morning then water spiked with diet coke (just a little). The feeling of not eating but going on with my day is so interesting. I do have a little hunger, but know food is not far away and just keep busy as I can...I am bored and need to fill my time with life enriching stuff when I figure out what that might be.

So fasting may repair some damaged cells, etc. ( I think research is on going ) I am also trying to beat off prediabetes. Oh, if I drop some weight, that will be great, too.

I try to fix good food for my husband and i to enjoy, and boy do I enjoy that one meal! I just fill my plate and eat it. Done.
You might try this. I did a 3 day fast with liquids...maybe that repaired some stuff....who knows?

Old 05-27-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
On the surface many of the approaches sound great, including "functional" medicine. Functional med uses a "GOTOIT" approach which is supposed to take a look at multiple disease factors including patient history, genetics, and lifestyle. It sounds great, but the bottom line seems to be a nutritional and lifestyle approach to curing and preventing disease. Personally I will put my faith in evidence and scientifically based medicine even if that often falls short. Whenever "nutrition" enters the picture, I lose interest. I spent some years in nutritional research and know that the science is at best minimal and seriously tainted by interests of the food and supplement industries.
Yes, I personally don't put much credence in "food as medicine" or leaky gut stuff. I do appreciate the lab results I've gotten and what obvious supplements (like iron/C) are indicated, but otherwise, I think the whole Functional Medicine approach is too woo-woo for me and too anti-mainstream for its own good. I only went that way because I was just thinking then about being low energy and wondered if it could help me. Now that I have these lab tests (and more to come) I am more motivated to go the lab/M.D. route, and so forth.

I will see what my PCP says and orders next week. There is one rheumatologist on the whole Western Slope. I don't know if I'm at a point to get a referral to Denver or Phoenix (Mayo Clinic). My functional medicine guy's wife (who grew up in functional medicine) recently developed a pituitary tumor and got an MRI and now goes to the Mayo Clinic and takes some harsh medication. I have always thought that people who are suspicious of mainstream anything (media, medicine, etc.) go overboard in believing anything that isn't mainstream. I'm not one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or