U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 08:43 PM

21,585 posts, read 14,377,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
Have you tried fasting? I am doing the one meal a day now and going without food for 23 hours....5pm to 5pm the next day. I drink coffee in the morning then water spiked with diet coke (just a little). The feeling of not eating but going on with my day is so interesting. I do have a little hunger, but know food is not far away and just keep busy as I can...I am bored and need to fill my time with life enriching stuff when I figure out what that might be.

So fasting may repair some damaged cells, etc. ( I think research is on going ) I am also trying to beat off prediabetes. Oh, if I drop some weight, that will be great, too.

I try to fix good food for my husband and i to enjoy, and boy do I enjoy that one meal! I just fill my plate and eat it. Done.
You might try this. I did a 3 day fast with liquids...maybe that repaired some stuff....who knows?
Not to go OT, but there are a lot of health benefits to what you're doing.

Scientists Discover That Fasting Triggers Stem Cell Regeneration & Fights Cancer – The Deen Show

Old 05-27-2019, 08:49 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,578,684 times
Don't follow the reasoning for fasting being a health positive. I don't tend to eat for about 12-16 hours overnight and eating later in the day, eating maybe twice a day then. Just a preference from years of odd hours. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:36 PM

397 posts, read 157,356 times
Is the fatigue new, recurrent, and escalating when doing some activity?
If so, contact your doctor and a cardiologist for good measure.
Your guess is best, along with your doctor, since you are experiencing the ailments.
Your functional medicine doctor sounds good, but I would also see my Internal Medicine doctor as well.
I went to an acupuncturist who helped me using herbs and needles. Interesting stuff. It made me feel better for awhile, but not sure if it was a "placebo" effect of sorts or not. I did feel better, so I continued the treatments for a year and a half. After that, I did not see a benefit, so I quit.

I like to advise people to keep pursuing your ideation that something is wrong. Trust yourself and get the medical assistance you need, especially if you get worse.
Good luck. I hate not being well. I am 63 so not new to ailments with my aging body.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 PM

5,452 posts, read 2,836,728 times
Have you tested for allergies? They can be more subtle than violent sneezing fits, congestion, and so on. Some seasonal allergens make me feel enervated. I used to wonder what was wrong with me till I noticed these stretches coincided with certain wind and seasonal plant changes. My husband has observed similar correlations, not the same as mine but with the same effect, as did a BF long ago. I remember wondering why he needed naps and him saying allergies wore him down.

If I need a nap now, I take it unless responsibilities don’t allow it. But retirement does mean it is allowed much more often.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:00 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,746,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
......There is one rheumatologist on the whole Western Slope. I don't know if I'm at a point to get a referral to Denver or Phoenix (Mayo Clinic)......
With just a slightly elevated ANA, the next step would be to repeat or to jump directly to the ANA reflex test which includes a battery of markers. Your PCP should be able to order the follow up testing without the need to see a rheumatologist at this time.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
With just a slightly elevated ANA, the next step would be to repeat or to jump directly to the ANA reflex test which includes a battery of markers. Your PCP should be able to order the follow up testing without the need to see a rheumatologist at this time.
I thought the test I had reflexes to titer and pattern, the pattern being homogenous which is completely the case for people with lupus, although not all people with the pattern have lupus. Yes, the lab report identifies it as ANA Screen, IFA, with reflex to titer and pattern.

I think there is a second battery available- DNAs antibodies or something?A set of antibody tests that can both eliminate lupus or come closer to confirmation.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:19 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,746,934 times
Again the 1:80 is a slight elevation best thought of as borderline. A slight elevation is fairly common as we age and is also more common for women. Don't make too much of the homogenous pattern. That is the most common ANA pattern whether false positive, lupus or otherwise. The follow up testing will include dsDNA and a handful of other markers. In addition to elevated ANA, a battery of signs and symptoms is needed to meet the diagnostic criteria for lupus.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Again the 1:80 is a slight elevation best thought of as borderline. A slight elevation is fairly common as we age and is also more common for women. Don't make too much of the homogenous pattern. That is the most common ANA pattern whether false positive, lupus or otherwise. The follow up testing will include dsDNA and a handful of other markers. In addition to elevated ANA, a battery of signs and symptoms is needed to meet the diagnostic criteria for lupus.

Thank you for the clarification. I am looking forward to further testing and assessment.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:05 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,659,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Not to go OT, but there are a lot of health benefits to what you're doing.

Scientists Discover That Fasting Triggers Stem Cell Regeneration & Fights Cancer The Deen Show

I would want to see a more credible source before I believed most of these claims. If the American Cancer Society or Harvard Medical School start recommending fasting to fight cancer, then I'll pay attention.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
Is the fatigue new, recurrent, and escalating when doing some activity?
If so, contact your doctor and a cardiologist for good measure.
Your guess is best, along with your doctor, since you are experiencing the ailments.
Good luck. I hate not being well. I am 63 so not new to ailments with my aging body.
Thank you. The fatigue is recurrent, does not escalate and my EKG was fine. I am actually quite healthy, I think.
I had what I thought was mono three times (ages 15, 36 and 49) and after the last bout in 2002, was permanently tired. Was eating badly and working high-stress overnight shifts and felt like I never recovered, but thought I just needed to retire and sleep it off.

During the bout in 1992, which was debilitating and severe for months, I had very marked thrombocytopenia- looked like I'd been beaten with a bat. By the time I got to a doctor (only had hospitalization insurance then) the marks had faded and I had begun to recover some energy, enough to function and think. Tested negative for all the big guns (HIV, hepatitis, leukemia etc) and had low platelets slowly resolving. I have recently begun o really wonder what that episode was.

No allergies.

SusieQ, I've seen many of your health-related posts and so wanted to explain my history a little better. Really didn't intend to make a thread about various possibilities for my fatigue but wanted to see if anyone had experience with autoimmune or functional medicine. I think I've worked out some of my thoughts about the FM and am losing interest in it, although will see it through as it seems harmless. Thank you for your inputs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or