U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 05:05 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,033,474 times

Advertisements

In the early 90's I was working at a medical school. A group of us began having odd symptoms, including fatigue and short term memory problems, asthma, etc. It turned out that the air in our offices was contaminated with higher levels of formaldehyde, xylene, toluene, and other chemicals. It's not an IgE type allergy, it's a toxic reaction because we lost the ability to break down chemicals. Formaldehyde is common in medical facilities, and in furniture, paint, carpeting, clothing from the Far East, vehicle exhaust, etc. etc. We never recovered from it, and have to continue to keep our homes very chemical free and avoid exposures elsewhere. Supplements have helped some of us.
One thing I remember hearing back then is that formaldehyde exposure can cause a positive EBV test, without there being an infection.

And yes, we live every day with people telling us to get over it, or that it's psychological, etc. so have at it naysayers.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:05 PM

21,525 posts, read 14,346,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I would want to see a more credible source before I believed most of these claims. If the American Cancer Society or Harvard Medical School start recommending fasting to fight cancer, then I'll pay attention.
Alternate Day Diet - Amazon.com

This book really opened my eyes, it was written by two doctors who use considerable data in the book of Harvard medical school studies. We humans are hardwired (from our Neanderthal times) to fast frequently, if not necessarily voluntarily. The real benefits of fasting are not weight loss, in fact, that is of minor importance in the bigger picture of better health. And yes, studies have shown a reduction of cancer as well.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:07 PM

2,031 posts, read 858,396 times
I have had below normal iron and ferritin. Iron pills for 6 months did no good. I needed an iron infusion.That did raise the iron and ferritin. Whatever else you are doing get a CBC (complete blood count) and differential (measures your minerals, like sodium, CO2, iron, etc.) to rule out things like blood cancer, low sodium, low iron, kidney problems that will show up on your egfr score. If that is all good, maybe your fatigue is due to higher altitude that you need to get used to? I don't take supplements, just a couple of gummy vitamins and a gummy B12 with breakfast. I don't know how old you are but as you approach your 70's you get tired and fatigued more easily. My wife has perfect scores on her blood tests, BP, O2, heart rate, but is tired a lot and has been for several years, but it gets worse as we get older. She can be going full speed for a few hours then just crashes. Maybe it's just her nature. Not everyone can be a dynamo at our age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Hello, all, Have been here in my town in southwest Colorado since April, 2018. I am still and ever thrilled to be here, in the environment, in this amazing town, this great cabin house. I have not regretted for a moment moving from the humid East Coast.

I posted some time ago about continuing fatigue and somehow started a rather meandering thread on health and treatments and stuff. No desire to re-do that! I would just like to update anyone is interested.

I started seeing a Functional Medicine guy (with a master's in Clinical Nutrition) with a request for treatment for increased energy. I am having all the signs of ongoing fatigue- exhaustion, lots of sleeping, no brain fog but no energy for movement, eating perfectly (not vegan or anything but very clean, light and so forth). He ran some basic tests and started me on basic supplements for energy improvement and cellular health with no results. He ran some more tests and rather significantly, my ferritin was very low (needed to transfer energy to mitochondria or something. It's a form of anemia) and unfortunately, a high positive (1:80) for homogeneous ANA antibodies. Virtually all people with systemic lupus have this antibody report, but not all people with the report have lupus. There are further antibody tests to be done. Nothing confirms lupus, but the second battery would go a long way to confirmation or elimination of lupus as a problem.

So I am on the same cellular health supplements with an addition of Iron/C. No notice of improvement. When I have forced myself into mild exercise, I have trouble going up a few steps or walking without resting and get home and rest immediately.

This is not how I wanted to live in this lively and lovely area, but there it is. I am hoping for improvement and maybe for a more determined diagnosis. While I have faith in my Functional Medicine guy's assessment of labs and numbers and all (he is very skilled) I have less optimism about the supplements doing any good. I am seeing my PCP next week, have given her the lab tests and asked if she wants to do anything related to them (tests, etc.). I don't have the visual signs of lupus or the rheumatoid arthritis that so many do get with it, but the fatigue goes way back and the anemia is quite common (low ferritin, good iron).

I thought my years of fatigue and multiple cases of mono (?) and one round of severe thrombocytopenia were from being run down and exhausted from night shifts. I might have been becoming ill all along.

Anyway, as illnesses go, it's so far okay to be exhausted, with a view of the beautiful area, ability to go out and sit and eat and talk with people I've met, and to try to force myself to exercise. No horseback riding yet, which I've found is not exhausting (last summer's trip for a week of riding, exhausted when not on horse) and the riding I hope to do hasn't started yet because of the severe weather that is ongoing here. (No more drought!)

Thank you for listening. If anyone has experience with Functional Medicine, I'd like to hear your experience. I am not sure I believe in "leaky gut" and such.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-28-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 05-28-2019, 11:30 PM

7,608 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

This book really opened my eyes, it was written by two doctors who use considerable data in the book of Harvard medical school studies. We humans are hardwired (from our Neanderthal times) to fast frequently, if not necessarily voluntarily. The real benefits of fasting are not weight loss, in fact, that is of minor importance in the bigger picture of better health. And yes, studies have shown a reduction of cancer as well.
Um, they're both plastic surgeons.

Boom.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:49 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,103 times
I have no advice to offer, but it did occur to me that big changes, even positive ones that we wanted and created intentionally can have a significant impact on our overall well being and can take some time to adjust to. Perhaps that has played some part in your health.

All I can offer is my best wishes for an improvement in your energy and joy.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:42 AM

74 posts, read 78,122 times
Have you ever injured your spleen or had it removed? I was in a car accident and my spleen was injured and hemorrhaging. The doctor told me that they were hopeful it would stop bleeding because they do not remove them anymore if they can help it. He said removing it can cause major autoimmune disorders and leave you vulnerable to catching infectious diseases. I also know Mono can enlarge and injure the spleen.

"If you develop complications from mono, they can be serious. One problem that can happen is an enlarged spleen. If it becomes severe, your spleen can rupture and cause a sudden, sharp pain on the left side of your upper abdomen." https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...eosis-causes#2

What are the results of a suffering spleen? "An enlarged, malfunctioning spleen can lead to frequent infections; low energy; anemic symptoms; changes in appetite, body weight, digestion and blood flow; and more. If you want to maintain a strong immune system, avoid becoming sick, and retain muscle and joint health into older age, then you want to be careful to take good care of your entire lymphatic system, including, of course, your spleen!" https://draxe.com/enlarged-spleen/

Foods that help the spleen are yellow in color "meaning a diet that follows a "yellow rule" and is rich in pumpkins, squash, yams, yellow lentils, corn, pineapple, and yellow peppers (among others) can go a long way in replenishing the little fighterís stamina." https://www.firstforwomen.com/posts/...-health-166944

I hope this helps you in your quest to find an answer to your low energy!

Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

Awesome! I did a little research, as well, and found a few other sources that I find credible, that seem to have seen positive results from this diet. (Although they did note that the results showed more or less the same effectiveness as other diets). It sounds like some people have better success on this particular diet than on other diets, since on the alternate days you are allowed to eat more than you might on other diets. I didn't find anything that supports the cancer claim, but there is some scientific evidence that it is beneficial for people with diabetes.

This will be an interesting thing to follow. Thanks for mentiomning it (and sorry OP for going off topic for just a moment--now back to the original topic).

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018062914156

Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

All I can offer is my best wishes for an improvement in your energy and joy.
Much appreciated, thank you.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:31 PM

21,525 posts, read 14,346,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Awesome! I did a little research, as well, and found a few other sources that I find credible, that seem to have seen positive results from this diet. (Although they did note that the results showed more or less the same effectiveness as other diets). It sounds like some people have better success on this particular diet than on other diets, since on the alternate days you are allowed to eat more than you might on other diets. I didn't find anything that supports the cancer claim, but there is some scientific evidence that it is beneficial for people with diabetes.

This will be an interesting thing to follow. Thanks for mentiomning it (and sorry OP for going off topic for just a moment--now back to the original topic).
Valter Longo is often cited as one of the preeminent sources on the subject. Here is another book on the subject that is very informative, an easy read, and written by an MD:

https://www.amazon.com/FastDiet-Weig...=5%3A2+&sr=8-4

Itís another way to fast, and also explains the benefits.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:56 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
The fact that you didn't experience exhaustion when horseback riding says something (what????). You were happy & content and perhaps your adrenalin kicked in. Get yourself a horse - put it in the backyard and go riding everyday. OR ~ get one of those small horses and have it move right in.

Find that thing that really makes you happy - it may have nothing to do with medical issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or