U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:42 PM

7,661 posts, read 4,705,800 times

Advertisements

Mike, you probably missed it but we just moved to a city of 250,000 people for retirement.

We know absolutely no one here. I donít count our real estate agent. I donít think heís even human.

Obviously you have no need of organized meetups.

But donít judge those who find them useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:11 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,302,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Except that someone last night did ask that and no one was offended by it.

If you're going to be miffed when someone asks a commonplace question, maybe meetups aren't for you.

So you never asked him. Doesn't mean no one else ever did.
That's the whole point. It isn't something you ask. It is not a commonplace question now. You no longer have a reason to network or decide who is where on the pecking order. You learn about people over time. Things trickle out here and there.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 PM

Iím just going to say youíre being ridiculous.

Sun City isnít the world, you know.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:28 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,643,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Fluffy, we keep ourselves busy with friends, not some silly meetup group
Meetups have never appealed to me either BUT why do you need to be a snot about it?

Last edited by Spuggy; 05-28-2019 at 09:02 PM..

Old 05-29-2019, 03:14 PM

97 posts, read 34,477 times
The Meetup I joined targeted at baby boomers turned out not to be my cup of tea. However, I've really appreciated the Meetups here for walking, board games, and German language. I'm considering snowbirding in different locations, and one thing I do to see if it might be a good fit is to see what kind of Meetup groups they have. It's definitely a good way to get to know people.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
The Meetup I joined targeted at baby boomers turned out not to be my cup of tea. However, I've really appreciated the Meetups here for walking, board games, and German language. I'm considering snowbirding in different locations, and one thing I do to see if it might be a good fit is to see what kind of Meetup groups they have. It's definitely a good way to get to know people.
What kind of board games?

Apparently there are dozens if not hundreds of board games we geezers have never heard of. Those are what they play at the game meetups here.

The organizers say they teach games but I would like to try a few at home first to get the hang of it.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:36 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,655,156 times
^^ Often a local library or rec center will have game groups to help you get a feel for them. It's not always realistic to play at home if it's just the two of you. I joined a Scrabble group at my local rec center and love it.

Some fun games that are fairly easy to learn are Dixit, Ticket to Ride, and Rummikub. Hand, Knee & Foot is a Canasta game that's pretty popular these days and easy to learn.

Personally, I'd avoid the fantasy games such as Dungeons and Dragons unless that's really your cup of tea. They tend to attract young people who really get into it and want to play all night, plus they aren't always nice to anyone over 25-30. Of course, that's just my experience; you might have a completely different one.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:02 PM

9,380 posts, read 6,261,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Mike, you probably missed it but we just moved to a city of 250,000 people for retirement.

We know absolutely no one here. I donít count our real estate agent. I donít think heís even human.

Obviously you have no need of organized meetups.

But donít judge those who find them useful.

This prompts the question (probably another topic)

Why would anyone move anywhere in their retirement where they have no social network?

We were going to move south west until we had a great conversation with each other and decided that all of our friends, most of our relatives and all of our docs are right here?

Why sell a home in a great neighborhood where we have lived for 43 years and still have some original neighbors?

We could make a bundle on our home but why spend 2-3 times that bundle on a new home?

We asked our financial advisor if we could afford to go South, or South West, every winter and were told yes we could budget that expense

Most, if not all, of our friends and acquaintances who retired elsewhere hafe already moved back.

Not judging, just asking

Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,642,583 times
I guess over the past decade and a half I've mostly been pretty lucky to have found some great meetup groups to participate with in various activities in every state I've lived in no less. I've attended all kinds of events, some free, some on the more expensive more often than not they were fun. Some of my past events I post in my photo albums on here.

I've also developed friendships that and will go on trips with these individuals outside of the group events. I have an invite to go with a friend to visit with her and another at her timeshare beach house in a couple of weekends from now.

As far as groups over 50, I've been attending groups of various ages since joining meetup, found all ages to be a lot of fun, my favorite groups were some of the older age groups I used to go out with in when I lived in Florida, they really knew how to have fun. I miss the FL groups for sure, but enjoy, the subdued fun I'm having with the seniors here. I went line dancing with some seniors about a month ago those folks danced like they were in they're 20's mos had to be in they're 70's. Weeks later attended a grand opening of a Dave & Busters, not my cup of tea, but it was nice to attend it with the meetup group, free food and drinks were served for all with the invites.

Anyway, I don't care the ages, if they let me in and don't care about my age and are doing things I consider fun or just interesting, I'm game, but, yes, sometimes it's even better if they have all those qualities and can similarly as to why I can't go low, low, low on the dance floor . Or for that matter can't see my way to the dance floor these days.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:22 PM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Oh, no you are opening a fresh wound, be careful Mike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or