U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 09:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 1,868,735 times

Advertisements

I went to one when I was briefly (two months) separated from my husband.

It was very sad. Everyone in the same boat (literally), watching July 4th fireworks.

I've never felt so alone in a group of vapid people.

No more, thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 12:19 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have never had any issue finding people, clubs or other groups that are dedicated to specific interests, activities or hobbies. In fact I am not sure how Meetups would help. For example most serious photographers would likely be found through a local camera club. Those can be found through google or facebook or from national organizations that list local clubs.
I was thinking the same thing. Whether in Alaska or Arizona, I have found a number of groups to associate with, none through a meetup site. I don't need a web site to fill up my social calendar as I am busy enough already.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:39 AM

2,739 posts, read 723,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Whether in Alaska or Arizona, I have found a number of groups to associate with, none through a meetup site. I don't need a web site to fill up my social calendar as I am busy enough already.
I agree with TRosa. I grew not to enjoy Meetups, but not because the activities originate from a web site. It's just the platform. (I became honest enough to admit to myself that I have always been an introvert and that it is futile to try to be otherwise. Group functions aren't for me. Most socializing isn't fulfilling for me.)

Years ago when we wanted to know what time a movie was showing, we'd read the paper or call up the movie theater. Now we check our smart phones. But it still leads to the same thing: attending the movie. It doesn't change the experience because we found out about it online.

Similarly, there has been such a stigma with online dating. But it's really not much different than a blind date where you've never met the person---just going on the basis of someone else's opinion (who has their own perspective and may even have their own agenda) of who you might click with. Once you get past the first date, it's dating as usual. And thus it is with Meetup. Technology enables people to quickly and efficiently find people and activities that they may find rewarding. Why the snark about it?

Sure, there's no to very limited screening of the people who attend Meetup. But isn't this true of churches? The Sierra Club? Garden club? Yoga class? Your neighborhood book club? A chess club? Dancing lessons/dances?

Even though I am an introvert I do recognize that most people are not---and that society is experiencing some difficulties because people don't interact enough and in meaningful ways. There is rampant loneliness. A disconnect from neighbors and the broader community. Distrust of strangers and people not exactly like us. So if Meetup helps people come together, even if just for an occasional or one time experience, I think it's a good thing (just not for me personally, any longer).

Old 06-01-2019, 04:49 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,653,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I agree with TRosa. I grew not to enjoy Meetups, but not because the activities originate from a web site. It's just the platform. (I became honest enough to admit to myself that I have always been an introvert and that it is futile to try to be otherwise. Group functions aren't for me. Most socializing isn't fulfilling for me.)

Years ago when we wanted to know what time a movie was showing, we'd read the paper or call up the movie theater. Now we check our smart phones. But it still leads to the same thing: attending the movie. It doesn't change the experience because we found out about it online.

Similarly, there has been such a stigma with online dating. But it's really not much different than a blind date where you've never met the person---just going on the basis of someone else's opinion (who has their own perspective and may even have their own agenda) of who you might click with. Once you get past the first date, it's dating as usual. And thus it is with Meetup. Technology enables people to quickly and efficiently find people and activities that they may find rewarding. Why the snark about it?

Sure, there's no to very limited screening of the people who attend Meetup. But isn't this true of churches? The Sierra Club? Garden club? Yoga class? Your neighborhood book club? A chess club? Dancing lessons/dances?

Even though I am an introvert I do recognize that most people are not---and that society is experiencing some difficulties because people don't interact enough and in meaningful ways. There is rampant loneliness. A disconnect from neighbors and the broader community. Distrust of strangers and people not exactly like us. So if Meetup helps people come together, even if just for an occasional or one time experience, I think it's a good thing (just not for me personally, any longer).

Very nicely said, and some thought-provoking points.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
All of these comments about not wanting to hear about someone's past life is just nuts to me. I love to hear the stories about something I would never have known about or considered in the past. It defines the person and is a window to a slightly different realm than mine.

Now if the purpose is solely to brag or to attempt to make others feel inferior, that's another issue. And unfortunately some people feel inferior just knowing they were slackers all their life, but seriously that must be a distinct minority since slackers don't care anyway.

I think it's sort of like how we talk to each other on this forum. It's not that people here are secretive about what they used to do, but it's the sort of thing that comes up when it's germane to a topic.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:45 AM

8,134 posts, read 7,641,472 times
Quote:
Yep no need for website to socilize yet here we all are. And speaking of vapid souls, forums tend to be the wasteland for where such a collection of bottomless vapid souls come to take a dump. As witnessed from many who use these,(websites, forums), formats to fill a moment in time to socialize day to day. Somtimes, you feel sorry for them and understand they are in some sort of mental or emotional pain they can't help themselves. Better they use the keyboard than physical form to act out. A chill pill might be in order though.

I absolutely see why some wouldn't fit with meetup groups or much of any group for that matter, staying away does everyone a favor. Please continue to stay far, far away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBek7qFf2y8

Old 06-01-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:

That's awesome! For other people who aren't there yet, meet-up groups can be a good way to get there.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:05 AM

8,134 posts, read 7,641,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

Terrific post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Very nicely said, and some thought-provoking points.
I agree, very well expressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
That's awesome! For other people who aren't there yet, meet-up groups can be a good way to get there.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:59 AM

56,045 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
I have never had any issue finding people, clubs or other groups that are dedicated to specific interests, activities or hobbies. In fact I am not sure how Meetups would help. For example most serious photographers would likely be found through a local camera club. Those can be found through google or facebook or from national organizations that list local clubs.
Or through Meetup.com.

It's just another way to find people with the same interests, as others have pointed out. Or to find the local camera club in the first place.

ETA: Just for the heck of it, I typed "Photography" into the Meetup site for my area, and not only did two events show up for a long-established camera club in my county, there was are also six spots left for a "doors-off" helicopter flight over NYC for photographers (at $495 per person) and a notice to photographers about the annual NJ Sandcastle contest.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-01-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-01-2019, 09:06 AM

183 posts, read 112,039 times
Quote:
Many of the Meetup groups I've looked into in my area ARE local clubs, they simply use Meetups as another way to advertise those clubs. (photography, hiking, writers, book clubs etc.) It's really no different than searching on Google or Facebook although possibly faster because you can search by location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or