U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 09:51 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,680,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Many of the Meetup groups I've looked into in my area ARE local clubs, they simply use Meetups as another way to advertise those clubs. (photography, hiking, writers, book clubs etc.) It's really no different than searching on Google or Facebook although possibly faster because you can search by location.

Thank you and everyone else who so patiently tried to explain this simple concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 11:33 AM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Thank you and everyone else who so patiently tried to explain this simple concept.
I am a little surprised at so many people NOT being familiar with Meetup.com. I don't consider myself all that tech savvy when it comes to social media, but I'm pretty sure I found Meetup before I was ever on Facebook.

I'd moved to a new area in 2009, and my niece, who had moved to another state and found hiking and biking groups using Meetup, suggested it.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:20 AM

7,790 posts, read 4,381,326 times
Quote:
Many of the Meetup groups I've looked into in my area ARE local clubs, they simply use Meetups as another way to advertise those clubs. (photography, hiking, writers, book clubs etc.) It's really no different than searching on Google or Facebook although possibly faster because you can search by location.
Exactly. One of my Meetups is a hiking group that's been around for nearly 100 years! Meetup is just a more effective way of communicating (it's gone from from word-of-mouth to posted notices to telephone calls to email lists to a website over the years).

Old 06-03-2019, 08:08 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Exactly. One of my Meetups is a hiking group that's been around for nearly 100 years!
I guess they're right: Hikers really do live longer.

Quote:
Meetup is just a more effective way of communicating (it's gone from from word-of-mouth to posted notices to telephone calls to email lists to a website over the years).
For those seeking a less effective way of communicating, homing pigeons are still a thing...

Old 06-03-2019, 01:30 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Quote:
It may be the case that some clubs "simply use Meetups as another way to advertise". On the other hand, I belong to several organizations. I participate in a local camera club. There are about a dozen clubs within 50 miles of me with hundreds and hundreds of members. I could not find any of them or their events through Meetup.com. I belong to a couple of archery clubs. Again there are several clubs with many members and lots of events throughout the year, but none are listed through Meetup.com. I belong to some other groups that sponsor bus trips to local attractions where the driving and parking are a pain. None were listed through Meetup.com. I guess the success and resultant activities for Meetup must vary in different parts of the country.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:06 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

It may be the case that some clubs "simply use Meetups as another way to advertise". On the other hand, I belong to several organizations. I participate in a local camera club. There are about a dozen clubs within 50 miles of me with hundreds and hundreds of members. I could not find any of them or their events through Meetup.com. I belong to a couple of archery clubs. Again there are several clubs with many members and lots of events throughout the year, but none are listed through Meetup.com. I belong to some other groups that sponsor bus trips to local attractions where the driving and parking are a pain. None were listed through Meetup.com. I guess the success and resultant activities for Meetup must vary in different parts of the country.
I completely agree! That is what I have found too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or