U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 AM

7,608 posts, read 4,680,291 times

Advertisements

So we attended our first meetup last night, nine days into what's-his-name's retirement.

They had it at an inexpensive Italian restaurant. There were about 17 people in attendance, 6 at our table, and all were retired. Except me, of course. Conversation was lively, though the men tended to listen rather than talk.

This is one of the bigger groups, with over 3000 members, though it seems most meetups have 40 or fewer people attending.

DH tried to explain what it was he did in Silicon Valley before he retired but I don't think anyone got it. One woman snowbirds from Chicago. The others are full-time residents.

Maybe the biggest danger of a meetup is that other peoples' lives sound so much better than your own. But it's fun as long as you don't let it get you down. And I got the impression the two single guys just liked being around conversation and food.

Scottsdale is an extremely social place. We could go to meetups every day if we wished. This is the complete opposite of the meetup scene where we lived in California.

Have you gone to a 50s and over Meetup and what was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
We've been to a few. It takes a few tries to find the right fit, but I think they're a good thing to do. In my observation, you get a better response by talking about things you are doing now, or things you hope to do now that you're retired (as opposed to talking about what you used to do in your career). It also helps to ask questions about your new town, or talk about some of the interesting things you've discovered since moving there. Keeping it positive also seems to work better than talking about things that have disappointed you.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:59 AM

16,337 posts, read 10,327,920 times
There are none in my area.

I joined a quilt guild tho'

Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
No, but I've gone to other Meetups; specifically, writers groups. I continued to attend one for a very long time.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:39 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
No, I didn’t know there’s such group. I tend to meet up with other people with similar activities.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:55 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,458,547 times
There are a 'ton' of Meetup groups around here in the North Idaho/Spokane area. Seem to be several new groups every month. I joined a couple of the Outdoor Adventure and Christian groups, and have attended just a handful of events.

It's been a mixed bag. I've learned about some new and interesting venues to explore and appreciate the wonderful outdoor environment we have up here, which is a primary reason for moving here for my retirement years; but also pretty frustrated several times. Unless you've previously attended an outdoor activity, I've learned that it is difficult to find the correct starting point. That's happened several times.

The Christian groups are singles groups and again, a mixed bag. I am not very comfortable in large group social situations. That's just the introvert in me. Have always been that way, and I'm okay with it. When they do an outdoor activity, I've enjoyed them.

Don't attend Meetup functions often, but it is nice to have options, and as I said, it's nice learning about new places. I know you asked specifically about over age 50 groups. All of these groups have retired members, but also some middle-aged "kids". Don't seem to be many member younger than their 40's.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-28-2019, 10:23 AM

5,939 posts, read 5,295,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
We've been to a few. It takes a few tries to find the right fit, but I think they're a good thing to do. In my observation, you get a better response by talking about things you are doing now, or things you hope to do now that you're retired (as opposed to talking about what you used to do in your career). It also helps to ask questions about your new town, or talk about some of the interesting things you've discovered since moving there. Keeping it positive also seems to work better than talking about things that have disappointed you.
Yep, a definite no no. What's worse is asking someone what they did for a living. Live in the here and now, not the past.

I've mentioned in several posts that I knew a man for about 5 years before I found out he was an MD. Saw him several times a week and it never came up in conversation.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:38 AM

4,813 posts, read 1,828,987 times
Where I live Meetups are for the person holding it to promote their business. There is no real interaction, just instruction.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:16 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,340,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I agree. When people ask me what I used to do for a living, I just say: computer stuff. Then they think I'm smart. But it also can lead to people asking you to keep the mailing list for the group, or make labels or some such just because you worked with computers once upon a time.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:36 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I agree. When people ask me what I used to do for a living, I just say: computer stuff. Then they think I'm smart. But it also can lead to people asking you to keep the mailing list for the group, or make labels or some such just because you worked with computers once upon a time.

Ha ha so true! And whatever you do, don't tell them you have any experience putting out a newsletter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or