U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 01:10 PM

467 posts, read 106,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Where's "here"?
Probably too far south for you to consider.
North Myrtle Beach, SC and I bought a condo in Barefoot Resorts..a community made up of 26 sub communities all built around 4 golf courses of which membership is optional.

Rather then a specific 55 plus community I looked for a town where the demographics were older.

Your list is very specific though and the more that you have on that list the narrower your list of places available will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 03:35 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I'm not in a 55 community but the median age around here is about 60 so it just seems like a 55 with all the retired folks owning condos and homes.
I'm pretty happy with it.
We had a townhouse condo walking distance from the beach that was all age, but they were all 2 bedroom, so they did not appeal to folks with kids.

The joy of a condo is that somebody else cuts the grass, trims the bushes, cleans the pool and does the painting and roofing. You have equity instead of rent receipts.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 AM

672 posts, read 837,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Probably too far south for you to consider.
North Myrtle Beach, SC and I bought a condo in Barefoot Resorts..a community made up of 26 sub communities all built around 4 golf courses of which membership is optional.

Rather then a specific 55 plus community I looked for a town where the demographics were older.

Your list is very specific though and the more that you have on that list the narrower your list of places available will be.

Are a lot of the condos there rented out? I know MB is a large vacation spot and wonder about the amount of FT residents vs renters and/or weekly vacationers.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We had a townhouse condo walking distance from the beach that was all age, but they were all 2 bedroom, so they did not appeal to folks with kids.

The joy of a condo is that somebody else cuts the grass, trims the bushes, cleans the pool and does the painting and roofing. You have equity instead of rent receipts.
I've been here for 3.5 weeks now and that realization is finally sinking in. Aside from the above there's all that equipment that I don't have to take care of any more. My list of "have to do" has considerably shrunk since going from home owner to condo owner.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Are a lot of the condos there rented out? I know MB is a large vacation spot and wonder about the amount of FT residents vs renters and/or weekly vacationers.
From what I've been told the majority are full time residents.
From what I've seen so far (only here 3.5 weeks) I bump into the same people when I go out for a walk and most cars have owner stickers. I've met one couple who own and just come in the summer for 2 months with their kids but intend to make it their permanent residence in 2 years when the kids are off to college.

No, it doesn't seem like a weekly tourist hotel type place. Those are down along the ocean and yes, you see empty parking lots by Monday morning and full by Friday. I stayed at a monthly rental place across the street from the beach when I first got here for 2 months. I would never buy into one of those buildings. Those ones are called condo hotels.

Barefoot is on the other side of the intracoastal. Only owners can use the Barefoot parking lots at the beach. So location and some restrictions don't make it the "go to" place for beach vacationers.

FWIW that was also my concern when looking and so I asked around a lot.
But I feel I made the right choice and am pretty happy with it. Shopping is but 5 minutes away, beach is 10 minutes and it feels very much residential vs tourist on the other side of the intracoastal.

I did find some statistics..renter occupied units is 13%

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...ographics.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or