U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2019, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Central IL
15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Reputation: 35558

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I like these threads. We all know how someone else should be spending their money.

Unless they cost me money, and I don't mean tax dollars, I don't care. But...Ö.. I do wonder about women's shoes. I have never or known anyone that has ever said " I'm going after that one because I really like those shoes." We aren't looking at your shoes. They can be from 2 different pairs and most men won't notice. I wonder, but don't judge because as I said before they aren't spending my money.
...and like most arguments on the "crazy stuff" women spend money on...they do it for THEMSELVES...NOT FOR MEN.

Do men buy outrageous cars, mowers, TV, and stereos for women? Maybe they like showing off the cars but it's all for how it makes them feel about themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2019, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,651 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Reputation: 11907
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Clemencia[/b]53;55289642]I am so glad i gave up my shopping habit! I used to have clothes in my closet with price tags that i never wore. But i just had to have them

Now i stick to a basic wardrobe. Okay, maybe not the cheapest clothes, but they last a long time and i don't have a lot of them.

I quit the nail and pedicure habit too. And grocery shopping. I used to waste a lot of money there too.

I'm curious about that last line... quitting grocery shopping. Would you mind elaborating on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
1,886 posts, read 2,296,469 times
Reputation: 5321
I abide by 15 of the 16 items on the list. I assuming the guy says not to have charge cards, I disagree. I use charge cards for internet purchases that saved me a lot of money Vs driving 30 miles to town to buy. The wear on the car and gas expense can equal $20-$30 per trip.

My gas charge card allows me to stop at only the pump, fill it up and drive off, I don't need to carry tons of cash and wait in a line to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 07:07 AM
 
3,989 posts, read 3,212,294 times
Reputation: 12969
Ive been frugal all my life, but Ive never been a high earner. Fortunately my jobs havent required long commute, or fancy clothes. For the last 15 years I worked 2 miles from my house, and tee shirts, shorts, and flip flops were my work clothes. I used to travel years and years ago; I lost that urge, and am very happy staying home (which is paid for). My hobbies are mostly just gardening, and puttering around the homestead. I go out to eat maybe twice a month, when friends come into town. No hair cuts (just pile it on top of my head with a clip), no nails. Credit card paid off each month (just use it for groceries and gas...for points). I might spend $200 a year on clothes. I do buy new vehicles, but I pay them off within a year or two, and keep them a long time. (current vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with 70k miles on it. So Ill have it a while).

However, because I have been frugal, and havent spent money, and been rather obsessive about saving money all my life, Ill be putting in a pretty fancy pool this fall and writing a check for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 07:21 AM
 
Location: DFW
547 posts, read 153,080 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't even think the "$400 emergency" is a real statistic.

I deduced this because even people I know who are living solely on Social Security can put away enough money to cover an unexpected expenditure of $400.
I think it means that one has $400 put away in savings, or $400 in surplus money after bills are paid. I could come up with $400 in an emergency, probably could come up with $2000 in emergency if needed, but it would mean skipping a mortgage payment and probably a couple of other bills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 07:24 AM
 
6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Reputation: 12799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I'm curious about that last line... quitting grocery shopping. Would you mind elaborating on that?
I still buy groceries of course - but i stopped going to the fancier place in the next town over

The number and variety of items they carry is unbelievable. I'd just be throwing whatever hit my fancy into the cart. Thirty dollars alone on dog treats every week for example!

Now i just go to our basic store and get the basics - lol. I order dog treats through Amazon

On top of the fact that we go out to eat several times a week - there is no need for so much food in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 AM
 
6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Reputation: 12799
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I like these threads. We all know how someone else should be spending their money.

Unless they cost me money, and I don't mean tax dollars, I don't care. But...Ö.. I do wonder about women's shoes. I have never or known anyone that has ever said " I'm going after that one because I really like those shoes." We aren't looking at your shoes. They can be from 2 different pairs and most men won't notice. I wonder, but don't judge because as I said before they aren't spending my money.
Maybe not you, but i have a friend whose significant other has a foot fetish -

He follows an instagram page full of "foot models" - and shoes are important. She has to wear heels cuz that is what he wants her to do. Which to me is creepy - but she does what it takes to keep him -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 07:31 AM
 
6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Reputation: 12799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
At one point I have more than 25 pairs of flip flops, why? At .99c a pair, it seems like a bargain. Plus my kids donated me some too, some colors I donít have, so I keep it.
Are they different colors? Why so many

Okay - i admit that i have one pair and i spent more than 25 dollars on them, but i love em. Very sturdy and don't slide around like some others do. And the only way they will deteriorate is if my dog decides to use them as a chew toy.

He did that with one pair that had survived for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 AM
 
3,989 posts, read 3,212,294 times
Reputation: 12969
I have a lot of pairs of flip flops, too. Used to buy the Walmart flip flops, but they wouldnt last more than a few months. I spend a little more on Havianas...I buy them on sale, and they last a long long time. I have a bag of them in my closet, all different colors. The cheaper ones from Walmart Id wear til they broke, the Havianas I wear until I get tired of them, they never break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,651 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Reputation: 11907
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Clemencia[/b]53;55292534]I still buy groceries of course - but i stopped going to the fancier place in the next town over

The number and variety of items they carry is unbelievable. I'd just be throwing whatever hit my fancy into the cart. Thirty dollars alone on dog treats every week for example!

Now i just go to our basic store and get the basics - lol. I order dog treats through Amazon

On top of the fact that we go out to eat several times a week - there is no need for so much food in the house.



Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top