U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:07 AM

5,943 posts, read 5,300,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...and like most arguments on the "crazy stuff" women spend money on...they do it for THEMSELVES...NOT FOR MEN.

Do men buy outrageous cars, mowers, TV, and stereos for women? Maybe they like showing off the cars but it's all for how it makes them feel about themselves.
I don't really know any men that buy stereos. What year is this? If you have a lawn you need a mower. Most people have TVs. I don't know what an outrageous car is. Maybe a motorhead cares but most people think of their car as something to get them from point A to point B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 08:08 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,212,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I still buy groceries of course - but i stopped going to the fancier place in the next town over

The number and variety of items they carry is unbelievable. I'd just be throwing whatever hit my fancy into the cart. Thirty dollars alone on dog treats every week for example!

Now i just go to our basic store and get the basics - lol. I order dog treats through Amazon

On top of the fact that we go out to eat several times a week - there is no need for so much food in the house.

Yes, sticking to the grocery list saves a lot of money. I've learned not to browse because if something catches my fancy, I usually don't even check the price. Or if I do, I rationalize it by saying it's just one time, I really want to try this, so I'll pay more than I normally would.

I also figured out how to use digital coupons at Albertson's and Fred Meyer. I check the sales flyer online before I go and end up finding most things I need on sale. Yes, maybe I wanted pork but ended up with chicken because it was $1/lb off, but what I need is protein. A specific type is a want not a need. Pork will be on sale in a week or two and I can buy it then.

Overall, IMHO the OP's article is very appropriate for his audience, people who don't have $400 saved for an emergency.

I personally know a few people who think most things on that list are needs. They look at me like I'm an alien when I mention some of the things I go without. Then they complain that they can't afford a necessity like going to the dentist or paying the electric bill.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:12 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,159,924 times
This list pretty much tells you to live frugally untill the day you die. Save money, save money, save money etc. Don't live life, don't enjoy living, just save money for when you retire. I'm in my 40's and I'm at least 20 years before retirement.

You follow this list to a tee and you will live a miserable life, like my father in law. All he preached to his kids was to be frugal. Buy cheap used cars, wear lousy clothing, don't buy the organic foods just the stuff that's on sale, don't go on trips unless its payed for by your company, etc.

What happens is that life will pass you by, you have regrets and you have no purpose. I don't condone spending like you're rich but you should spend money on the things that are important to you. The author writes that you should avoid trips like Disney world. That's just nonsense. If your children love Mickey and would love to go to Disney, take them.
You only live once and it could all be gone in an instant.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:15 AM

1,644 posts, read 565,667 times
IMHO that list is way too generalized. For example, what's wrong with buying a higher-end car (Lexus instead of Chevy, for example) if you then keep it for a decade or more? And/or if you pay cash for it instead of financing?

And good luck finding a decent woman's haircut for less than $30, and then of course one must also add the tip to the stylist and shampoo girl. I really LOL'd at the author's $12 example.

I admit I never got into the shoe buying thing, possibly because I have hard-to-fit feet (narrow heel, wide front, high arch) and was lucky to be able to find shoes that were even remotely comfortable. Nowadays I must wear orthotics and so am limited entirely to sneakers and "sensible/old-lady shoes."

I did buy a lot of clothes during my teens through forties but that was mostly because of work. I would have loved to be able to go to work in jeans and a t-shirt but that was never an option. About 15 years ago I switched to wearing nothing but 100% cotton and so gave a lot of clothes away. Nowadays I do live in jeans and t-shirts (I think I may own two dresses but haven't worn them in years) so I rarely buy except for winter coats. I do have several of those. And now that Dress Barn is going out of business, I just bought a dozen pair of their Westport jeans which have been the ONLY ones that always fit me right off the hanger with no alterations needed. I figure that between the ones I already have plus the ones I just stocked up on, I should have enough jeans to last me the rest of my life - literally. They are still regular price ($29.50) but I know that if I wait till they go on clearance sale in a few months, they will be sold out of my size. If not, I may pick up a few extra pair at the liquidation price later. There are few things worse than wearing uncomfortable jeans, so I consider the outlay an investment in future comfort, not a waste of moneiy.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 05-29-2019 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 AM

1,644 posts, read 565,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Maybe a motorhead cares but most people think of their car as something to get them from point A to point B.
Depends on where you live, I think. I live on Long Island which was literally "designed around" having a car and so cars are both a necessity and - to a lot of people - to some extent a form of self-expression. It wasn't at all uncommon for people of my generation to give their cars names. I think I started a thread on that subject here a while back, in fact.

Another common thing to do with cars during the 1960s in my area was to have one's monogram or name added to the driver's side door. A friend of mine whose name was Rose had a white rosebud instead. One's car was often very personal.

I've never been the kind of person who switches cars every 3 years (though my dad was) but from the very first I've been fussy about what I drive. With only two exceptions they have always been new cars. My first car was a 1960 Lincoln Continental that my dad bought from a friend for $400 and gave to me when I got my junior license in 1966. I drove it for a year and then when I got my first job after graduating from high school I sold it and bought my first new car, a 1967 Firebird. The only other used car I ever owned was a 1990s Ford Taurus, a stripped-model ex-rental vehicle, for two years in the early 2000s during a time of financial transition. Hated that thing but it was the only car I could afford at that moment. It got swapped for a new car ASAP.

Ironically my then-husband had a 1972 Duster, like the author of that article mentions. He'd originally bought it new and then kept it as a "station car" when he started working in NYC and had to commute. It didn't matter that it would get dinged up etc in the RR station parking lots because it was only used for that purpose. I remember how the rear quarter panels were seriously rusted out by the 1980s, lol. Rusting was always a common problem with those early 1970s Dusters, because of some inherent design flaws.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:39 AM

13,225 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Are they different colors? Why so many

Okay - i admit that i have one pair and i spent more than 25 dollars on them, but i love em. Very sturdy and don't slide around like some others do. And the only way they will deteriorate is if my dog decides to use them as a chew toy.

He did that with one pair that had survived for years.
They are all different colors, some from my kids. Cheap flip flops from Old Navy. Plus it’s easy for me to pack when I go on vacation and never worry when I leave one behind. I have a few pairs for getting in and out of my garden. Sometime some pairs get real dirty, I throw them away. But eventually they get deteriorated, I now have less than 5-10 pairs, but if I see them on sale again I will get more.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:42 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,897,864 times
I've tried to shop more at the not-so-glamorous grocery store....prices are less than other stores plus they have a few things others don't carry...organic milk is less there by at least a dollar for half gallon etc.

Admit to cutting my hair for years, saves loads, and I keep it simple so it doesn't
LOOK like I did it.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:54 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,212,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't really know any men that buy stereos. What year is this? If you have a lawn you need a mower. Most people have TVs. I don't know what an outrageous car is. Maybe a motorhead cares but most people think of their car as something to get them from point A to point B.

I know men who buy extremely expensive stereos for their cars. There must be a lot of them because there are still 2 shops here that only install car stereos. I read a sports forum, and in the off topic section the guys frequently discuss how they wanted this humungous super high def TV but their wives wouldn't let them spend $25K.

https://www.therichest.com/business/...-in-the-world/

Old 05-29-2019, 09:08 AM

5,423 posts, read 2,825,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I think it means that one has $400 put away in savings, or $400 in surplus money after bills are paid. I could come up with $400 in an emergency, probably could come up with $2000 in emergency if needed, but it would mean skipping a mortgage payment and probably a couple of other bills
If you have to skip paying a creditor, the funds are NOT savings and therefore not emergency money.

Calling it emergency funds not only cheats someone else, it is deluding yourself.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 AM

555 posts, read 155,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If you have to skip paying a creditor, the funds are NOT savings and therefore not emergency money.

Calling it emergency funds not only cheats someone else, it is deluding yourself.
Right.
So you just supported the original statement of "most people do not have $400 for emergency" Which you had previously refuted saying (paraphrased) anyone, even those on SS, can find $400 for an emergency"

Maybe I am just not understanding what you are saying (?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or