U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 01:30 PM

78 posts, read 65,632 times

Advertisements

Well, we thought it was hip joint or knee joint. No. We thought it was ligament or some other issue why his right leg is sorta weak and knee not stable. No. So latest place did an MRI on his lower back. Bingo. His spinal cord is getting pinched by the lower discs. Saw it on the MRI myself. So now we go to see a spine doc. Start with injections and therapy. Anyone go through this?

Last edited by nancyf; 05-29-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 03:00 PM

7,654 posts, read 4,699,473 times
Lumbar stenosis from herniated disks? Steroid injections into the epidural space?

Old 05-29-2019, 05:03 PM

They said nothing about herniated disks. Just showed us the about bottom 5 disks with the pinched spinal cord.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:11 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,728,813 times
Lots of people have this and most go on to surgery to correct the problem.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:35 PM

394 posts, read 156,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
Well, we thought it was hip joint or knee joint. No. We thought it was ligament or some other issue why his right leg is sorta weak and knee not stable. No. So latest place did an MRI on his lower back. Bingo. His spinal cord is getting pinched by the lower discs. Saw it on the MRI myself. So now we go to see a spine doc. Start with injections and therapy. Anyone go through this?
Troubling, to say the least. My lumbar and thoracic spine had problems, but I got away with not having surgery. The big deal was when I stood up and my right leg had no feeling. I also had numbness in my hands and feet. After a year or so of the "run around" by doctors, they finally took the MRI of my neck and found the main nerve completely blocked. At first it looked like MS to them, so the neurologists tried to give me MS drugs. I refused. I got two more opinions, then had to go with my gut feeling, as they all said something different. I decided to have the cervical spine surgery, which was very risky.

I was told that while I was waiting for the surgery that a car accident or fall could make me a quadriplegic. I had to be careful. I was also told that if it turned out that these symptoms were MS, that I would have had the surgery for nothing.

I took a chance, had the surgery, and I am so much better. My surgery was 6 years ago. So far, not a perfect life, but I am doing O.K. I continued working after my surgery as a part-time teacher. I was easily tired everyday. I will finally retire June 1. I am 63. Time to babysit my grandson and travel. I consider my daily mobility a "gift."

Good luck to you and your husband. Get the opinion of 2-3 good neurologists and a neurosurgeon. Any spine surgery is very risky and could make things better or worse, take your pick and "roll the dice." I hope that you live near some good teaching hospitals.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:58 PM

He sort of drags his right foot and uses a walker now. He says its not numb though. He has erectile dysfunction and wondering if this is associated. Yes, we have some great teaching hospitals around here and we will get several opinions before surgery. His orthopedic doc wants him to go to a neurosurgeon and try injections and physical therapy first. I guess it can't hurt?

Old 05-29-2019, 07:44 PM

1,072 posts, read 808,064 times
Google some scholarly articles and and ask more than one professional (especially the PT folks) if spinal decompression THERAPY might help; NOT spinal decompression surgery.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:03 PM

31,049 posts, read 13,584,112 times
Quote:
He sort of drags his right foot and uses a walker now. He says its not numb though. He has erectile dysfunction and wondering if this is associated. Yes, we have some great teaching hospitals around here and we will get several opinions before surgery. His orthopedic doc wants him to go to a neurosurgeon and try injections and physical therapy first. I guess it can't hurt?
My lower right leg and foot was numb from compression on the nerve. I had 3 epidural steroid injections, the third one did the job. I've talked to other people who have had some luck with traction.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:42 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,855,355 times
Quote:
I would start here.

My spouse had the same over many years but because of deterioration of his discs and vertebral fracture and collapse along with leg and foot pain....he recently had L4-L5 fusion by a neurosurgeon. He is 63.

But this was after years of injections which only worked for awhile. An MRI will also tell your doctor if there is herniation or something that injections cannot address.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:58 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,536,337 times
I'm going thru a similar situation. Right Leg pain, then numbness from the Knee down. Never had back pain, that is why I was surprised when Doc said it was my back. Went to PT, then the back pain started. Next step was Chiropractor, started feeling some improvement, but hit a brick wall. Had MRI done and found all sorts of Disc issues and getting two Epidural shots very soon......right between discs in two different areas, then back to Chiro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement