U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 AM

30 posts, read 17,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You buy travel insurance when you pay for the cruise, and that is usually 2-3 months before sailing. There aren't any named storms that hang around for 2-3 months.

That is not only untrue, it is idiotic.

False, once again. If you purchase your insurance within a certain time period of making your initial deposit (usually 7-14 days, but sometimes longer), then your insurance will cover pre-existing conditions.

No, it makes me wonder how someone who purportedly has a company that purchases tickets for others and has gotten "deep into fine print", could be so ignorant and/or misinformed when it comes to trip insurance.
Wow. You’re nice. And I’m an idiot.

I’m just telling you the reasons our claims have been denied, and my CFO dug into it.

I’m glad I don’t know you, But thank you for reminding me why I left this blog and moved to other more mature venues - because some folks, regardless of age - never mature.

Last edited by canoesmith; 06-24-2019 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:54 PM

991 posts, read 345,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Have you read what it covers and are you sure that's all you need? Most include the cheaper coverages such as lost luggage, trip interruption, etc. but when it comes to medical or evacuation expenses there may be little or no coverage. You should also look at the reasons you can cancel and get reimbursement from them.

Here's the link to the article the OP cites. Really scary.

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2019/...an-cruise.html

The insurer (Excellus) isn't one I've heard of. I buy coverage through insuremytrip.com and they have the usual "mainstream" companies such as AIG, which I trust more. It sounds like the "air ambulance" thing is a real racket. Wonder what the hospital gets for referring patients to them.
I purchase IMG's Travel SE policy when I travel abroad. Their policy offers PRIMARY medical coverage ($150,000) and emergency evacuation and repatriation to your place of residence, if necessary ($500,000). They will pay coverage upfront, if necessary to secure care.

I linked the coverage details.

http://www.itravelinsured.com/forms/...IP-SE-0417.pdf

Old 06-25-2019, 02:08 PM

8,181 posts, read 11,902,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoesmith View Post
Wow. Youíre nice. And Iím an idiot.

Iím just telling you the reasons our claims have been denied, and my CFO dug into it.

Iím glad I donít know you, But thank you for reminding me why I left this blog and moved to other more mature venues - because some folks, regardless of age - never mature.
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings*, but if you make ignorant comments while purporting to be an expert, you're going to get called out on it.

Go enjoy your safe space.

*Actually, no, I'm not.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:24 PM

992 posts, read 380,928 times
Another inexpensive option is DAN - Divers Alert Network. With their $35 annual membership, you also get $100,000 per person (if a Family Membership) for an emergency evacuation, or medically necessary repatriation among other benefits. There's also Repatriation of Remains coverage.

Between DAN, my credit card and readily available funds, at least at our age and fitness levels, I'm comfortable with the risks of traveling. As we age, I'll likely look for other policies.

For the record, our credit card covered our European vacation 100% when we had to cancel in 2018 due to my wife's sinus infection. That was air, hotels booked with points and several museums. Two museums, who had non-refundable policies made exceptions to their policy and gave us a refund. When I purchased our 2019 tickets for the same, I made a point of letting them know that we appreciated the exception made the year before. Another benefit: our air tickets for the same trip in 2019 cost half of what I had paid in 2018.

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:17 PM

970 posts, read 603,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
With all that food and drinking, do most people gain weight on cruises?

We will be heading out on our 15 cruise this coming February and during each of our cruises we either maintained or even loose weight on our cruises because we take very active excursions, walk a tremendous amount on the ship, and with so many delicious and healthy food options it is pretty easy for us to stick to close our normal diets but a much tastier version than what we prepare at home. Additionally we are very minimal alcohol consumers and maybe have a glass or two of wine each during our cruises so no extra calories there.

Everybody who enjoys cruising enjoys this form of travel for different reasons. And as many large individuals that you will see camped out at the buffet and glued to a bar seat drinking their cruise away you will see just as many working out in the gym.

Cruising is not for everyone, but it is certainly for us and we will continue to travel this way as long as we are able to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or