U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2019, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,330 posts, read 4,181,280 times
Reputation: 18397

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If the insurance is $100, it's probably worth it for the peace of mind. But what about $300, $400, $500? The more expensive it gets, the more people are going to forego it, especially on a safe and mostly sedentary vacation like a cruise.

It's not about "thinking you're invincible." It's about the risk vs. the cost of something like that. Everyone's tolerance for risk is going to be somewhat different.
Any vacation is safe only up until the point when it isn't. I'm just as apt to trip and break a leg on a cruise as I am walking around town - but on the cruise, my medical insurance doesn't cover me. Ditto family members suddenly falling ill. It's a lot more expensive to get home early when you're forced to book an international plane ticket at walk-up rates than it is when you can just hop in your car and drive home.

If someone decides to forego travel insurance because they believe it's "too expensive," I'll have no pity for them if they end up with a $100,000+ bill to cover an emergency medical evacuation. They knew that was a real risk, and they were prepared to take it. if you're going to roll the dice, you can't whine when they come up snake eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2019, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,330 posts, read 4,181,280 times
Reputation: 18397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Not the type of insurance I'm talking about - one that will include helicopter evacuation, all local medical expenses, and transport back to your home city when medically possible. Some of the cheaper insurance programs cover trip cancellation, as a percentage of the trip, but not the high-end $50,000 air-evac process.
Actually MadManOfBethesda's quote are pretty accurate for what comprehensive trip insurance will cost as a percentage of the overall trip cost. And yes, that does cover air-evac if necessary, and treatment at the nearest facility which is capable of providing the needed level of care. Now if you want to be insured that that care occurs at home, you need to add a service like Medjet Express, which raises the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,323 posts, read 6,382,104 times
Reputation: 9952
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
There are some things that trip insurance covers that BCBS probably does not. Note that the guy in the article had medical insurance but it did NOT cover the exorbitant cost of that medical evacuation. Looking at the eye-watering price, I can see why- if they did cover such things, they'd be stuck paying whatever charges their insureds ran up anywhere in the world, no matter how unconscionable, and the cost would be spread among all their insureds. It makes more sense for those of us fortunate enough to make those exotic trips to buy specialized coverage.

So- check your policy carefully.

And now I'm getting paranoid about my trip to Hawaii in November (Medicare coverage obviously not an issue but I WILL be snorkeling, scrambling up mountains, etc.) Yes, I'd better get coverage.
He was on boat, hence the medical evaluation. We will be on land or airplane. But I try not to worry too much, it’s take the fun out of travel. My husband is very fit. I’m the younger wife, but not as fit. I’m not fat however, as much as I kid about my weight, I’m actually in the right fitness for my age. I just had a fat test recently at a gym, so it was confirmed.

I’m sure if we are in worse shape we probably wouldn’t travel as much. But no such thing as guarantee in life, I’ve heard on the news that some 65 year old guy was bitten to death in Maui, near Kanapali. We were there in January and enjoyed our trip. I’m a firm believer in when your number is up it’s up. You even can die in your own swimming pool here, without travel anywhere. Live and let’s live. Some caution is necessary, but not to be overly paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,323 posts, read 6,382,104 times
Reputation: 9952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Any vacation is safe only up until the point when it isn't. I'm just as apt to trip and break a leg on a cruise as I am walking around town - but on the cruise, my medical insurance doesn't cover me. Ditto family members suddenly falling ill. It's a lot more expensive to get home early when you're forced to book an international plane ticket at walk-up rates than it is when you can just hop in your car and drive home.

If someone decides to forego travel insurance because they believe it's "too expensive," I'll have no pity for them if they end up with a $100,000+ bill to cover an emergency medical evacuation. They knew that was a real risk, and they were prepared to take it. if you're going to roll the dice, you can't whine when they come up snake eyes.
I use my frequent miles for trip, I was able to change my international return plane ticket without charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,330 posts, read 4,181,280 times
Reputation: 18397
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I use my frequent miles for trip, I was able to change my international return plane ticket without charge.
That only works if there's frequent flyer space available on the flights you'll need to take on date you need to fly. Otherwise you'll have to spring for the cost of a paid ticket. And most frequent flyer programs do charge a fee to refund your miles to your account in the event you have to completely cancel (not simply reschdule) the flight.

Frequent flyer tickets do offer a lot more flexibility than the average nonrefundable paid ticket does, but the flexibility has limits.

When I travel on a frequent flyer ticket, I don't count the cancellation fee or the hypothetical dollar cost of the ticket in the total trip cost I'm insuring, as I can pay the former charge out of pocket and the latter is irrelevant since I didn't actually use dollars to book the flight. But I do make sure I'll have coverage should I need to book a paid flight in order to get home ASAP in the event of a family emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 AM
 
11,175 posts, read 8,575,060 times
Reputation: 28182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Not the type of insurance I'm talking about - one that will include helicopter evacuation, all local medical expenses, and transport back to your home city when medically possible. Some of the cheaper insurance programs cover trip cancellation, as a percentage of the trip, but not the high-end $50,000 air-evac process.
Read the policies. You can get all that covered for relatively little money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 10:37 AM
 
26,050 posts, read 33,064,041 times
Reputation: 32325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's double the age of the poster who asked the question. That's the only significance, I think. At 30, it's still easy to believe that you're invincible. By age 60, you know that's not true, because you've probably been vinced a time or two (or know someone who has).
Hmm. So I guess she is 30 and thinks she’ll be decrepit at 60. LOL. That doesn’t happen without one’s full cooperation, generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,330 posts, read 4,181,280 times
Reputation: 18397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hmm. So I guess she is 30 and thinks she’ll be decrepit at 60. LOL. That doesn’t happen without one’s full cooperation, generally.
fluffythewondercat (the poster who made that comment to Serious Conversation (the young guy)) is actually retirement age.

And you're still missing the point. I'm 56. Since 2005 I've made 4 health-related travel insurance claims. Only one of them was because I personally developed a health issue. The other three were because my aging parents had sudden, unpredictable health problems come up either just before or during a trip, necessitating big, costly changes to the trip itinerary (and once, a medical evacuation). The one time I had to file on my own behalf it was because I got food poisoning the evening before I was scheduled to go on a $2,000 back-country horsepacking trip; after a night spent exploding from both ends I was in no fit shape to ride. I don't know of any diet or fitness routines that will stave off food poisoning, do you?

At my current age, I plan every trip assuming I may have to cancel or interrupt the trip on a moment's notice, because my parents ate ages 83 and 84 ARE decrepit. I'm also more aware of just how quickly and unexpectedly an accident can happen. Most people in their early 30s aren't yet thinking like that - but that's because of their general lack of experience and their youthful vigor. fluffythewondercat was simply reminding Serious Conversation that his current perspective will change as he ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 11:47 AM
 
Location: SW US
2,224 posts, read 2,041,831 times
Reputation: 3839
My Mom fell in the shower in the Bahamas in the 90's and broke her pelvis. They took her by ambulance to the hospital. The doctor there told us to medically evacuate her back to the US because if she stayed there she would be kept in bed for 2 or 3 weeks and would probably never walk again. We had trip insurance as part of a package. The plane cost around $10k. We thought the trip insurance would pay, but they refused because we hadn't gotten prior authorization from them for it. It was a costly mistake but totally worth it to evacuate her back home to a hospital here. They had her up and beginning to walk the next day.
The experience scared us all and we didn't take any more international trips after that. Medicare would also have been an issue without the evacuation.

We looked into going after the hotel for having a slippery tile floor in the shower and no grab bars, but no one wanted to handle an international case.
Funny thing was my room had a non-slip shower floor and I had no idea theirs had a slippery floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 12:58 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 794,961 times
Reputation: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Does someone have a link? This concerns me because I DO buy trip insurance. For one thing I'm on Medicare, which doesn't cover outside of the US. My Medigap does but has a lifetime limit of $50K and that's medical expenses only, not evacuation, transport to a hospital, cost of changing travel plans, etc. I read one sad story in which a man died suddenly in a country in Central America; his wife was told that cremation was illegal and she had to pay to transport the body home (horribly expensive) or bury him there. She ended up burying him in a country she was unlikely to visit again.

I look at my coverage pretty carefully but would like to know what happened on that claim.
The man in the article didn’t buy trip insurance so don’t be concerned just read what is covered by trip insurance and get the best you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top