U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 01:50 PM

4,477 posts, read 4,737,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Personally, the thought of being stuck on a cruise ship for a week gives me the creeps.

After all the stories of ships infected with norovirus, people puking over the rails, rocking ships and filthy cabins, I can't understand the attraction.

A week of gluttony and excessive drinking is not my idea of a fun vacation.

Yes, they are totally gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 08:07 PM

256 posts, read 64,766 times
We have been on 6 cruises in 5 years and they are very fun.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:24 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Any vacation is safe only up until the point when it isn't. I'm just as apt to trip and break a leg on a cruise as I am walking around town - but on the cruise, my medical insurance doesn't cover me. Ditto family members suddenly falling ill. It's a lot more expensive to get home early when you're forced to book an international plane ticket at walk-up rates than it is when you can just hop in your car and drive home.

If someone decides to forego travel insurance because they believe it's "too expensive," I'll have no pity for them if they end up with a $100,000+ bill to cover an emergency medical evacuation. They knew that was a real risk, and they were prepared to take it. if you're going to roll the dice, you can't whine when they come up snake eyes.
I work for a hospital system. I get heavily discounted treatment locally. I'm going to Maine next week. Do I need to insure against something happening to me there? I could be plowed over as soon as I leave the terminal in Portland, or break a leg walking around Old Port.

$100-$200 for a retired, affluent couple isn't much. For other people, it could be a lot of money

Old 06-05-2019, 09:22 PM

7,291 posts, read 4,145,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I work for a hospital system. I get heavily discounted treatment locally. I'm going to Maine next week. Do I need to insure against something happening to me there?
Maine is part of the US. Your current health insurance will cover any emergency treatments there.

Now if you crossed the Canadian border, travel insurance would be something to consider (depending on what coverage your current health insurance offers)

Quote:
$100-$200 for a retired, affluent couple isn't much. For other people, it could be a lot of money
Then those people need to reconsider their vacation plans. If $100 is a lot of money to them, how are they going to handle a $100,000 bill? (And in many developing countries, you wonít receive any medical treatment at all unless you pay upfront. They are fine with letting you die if you canít pay.)

Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,526 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Maine is part of the US. Your current health insurance will cover any emergency treatments there.
...in many developing countries, you won’t receive any medical treatment at all unless you pay upfront. They are fine with letting you die if you can’t pay.)
Sometimes dying is best.

Unfortunately I lost (3) coworkers who got ill / injured while working overseas in various countries. I just kept my (Life) insurance paid up. And made sure I had "DNR" tattoo on my chest (should write in every language) .

Old 06-06-2019, 04:19 AM

2,430 posts, read 3,657,283 times
In '96 my Mother and oldest Sister were on a Fall Color tour in Ontario along the Northern shore of Lake Huron. My Mother suffered a stroke in their Hotel. She was rushed to the local Hospital for treatment. Once stabilized the Hospital Social Worker assisted my Sister by arranging an Air Taxi/Ambulance to fly our Mother back to S-E Michigan for further evaluation and treatment.

I am sure the cost of the fight was a couple thousand, but not anywhere close to what the guy in the OP's posted story demanded. Clearly an unexpected cost but not an impoverishing cost.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:11 AM

2,066 posts, read 699,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
$100-$200 for a retired, affluent couple [for travel insurance] isn't much. For other people, it could be a lot of money
People who don't have $100-$200 to spare for travel insurance probably shouldn't be traveling. Stuff happens, even on simple road trips- car problems, needing to stay overnight unexpectedly due to bad weather, someone breaks into your car and steals stuff you have to replace, a trip to Urgent Care for sunburn, etc. My parents used to live in Myrtle Beach and Mom said that occasionally a family on vacation would call their church and ask if they could help them out because they ran out of money.

And, as an earlier post pointed out, if your finances are so lean you can't afford the travel insurance premiums, you probably can't afford to "self-insure" for the costly things that can go wrong.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
In '96 my Mother and oldest Sister were on a Fall Color tour in Ontario along the Northern shore of Lake Huron. My Mother suffered a stroke in their Hotel. She was rushed to the local Hospital for treatment. Once stabilized the Hospital Social Worker assisted my Sister by arranging an Air Taxi/Ambulance to fly our Mother back to S-E Michigan for further evaluation and treatment.

I am sure the cost of the fight was a couple thousand, but not anywhere close to what the guy in the OP's posted story demanded. Clearly an unexpected cost but not an impoverishing cost.
Back in 2006 my father wound up in the ER in Banff. We arranged his return home via the travel insurance company (he needed to be on oxygen, but could fly on a commercial airline), but I inquired as to what it would cost to fly him home via a private charter in order to get him back to Chicago more quickly. The answer: $20,000. Since that quote was from 13 years ago, Iím sure the cost has gone up since then.

Enough to bankrupt me? No. But the cost of my fatherís emergency care (even without an air ambulance) was several thousand dollars, and would have been hard for many people to pay. Fortunately I had trip insurance! (Some people do have health insurance plans which would cover emergency care in Canada, though, and they donít need it.)

Air evacuation over oceans or out of backcountry wilderness areas are always super-pricy (which is understandable given whatís involved in those cases). Unfortunately sometimes a cruise ship passenger needs such an evacuation because they are too sick to stay onboard until the ship reaches a port where they can be offloaded.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:33 AM

One other thing people should know when it comes to travel insurance: ALWAYS call the insurance company FIRST as soon as you know you are going to need to make a claim! They may not reimburse you for any arrangements you made on your own and later submit a claim for. They need to be involved in the decision-making process, and they will tell you what documents (such as medical records) you will need to obtain to submit with your claim.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 AM

5,768 posts, read 4,822,990 times
^^^Excellent point Aredhel. As WindWalker2 pointed out, the cost of air evac may be covered, but unless you contact the travel insurance company to pre-authorize it, they may deny the claim. If you can't afford a couple hundred for travel insurance, then you certainly can't afford $10K, or a lot more, for an air evac either, and paying that off would be a real hardship for someone who can't pay a couple hundred for insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or