U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 10:30 AM

1,699 posts, read 4,060,618 times

Advertisements

Having trip insurance and actually not having to fight the insurance company to process a claim are different things and some companies will make it difficult for you. Always use the best travel credit card to book everything, I suggest the Chase Sapphire Reserve:
  • Trip cancellation/interruption insurance covers prepaid non-refundable travel expenses such as tours, fares and hotels up to $10,000 per trip.
  • Trip delay reimbursement covers expenses such as meals and lodging for flight delays more than six hours or requiring overnight stay up to $500 per ticket.
  • Lost luggage is covered up to $3,000 per passenger, including checked baggage and/or carry-on baggage.
  • Baggage delay insurance for essentials, such as clothing and toiletries, for bags delayed up to six hours at $100 a day for five days.
  • Auto rental primary coverage for up to $75,000 for theft and collision damage on rental cars in the U.S. or abroad.
  • Emergency evacuation/transportation while a trip for up to $100,000.
  • Emergency medical or dental expenses covered up to $2,500 if you are 100 miles or more away from home.
  • Travel accident insurance for up to $1,000,000 when you pay for travel via air, bus, train or cruise with your card.
Luckily I haven't had to be medivac'ed but I've used many of the features before, and they cover everyone that I purchased the trip for. You fly enough you will have delays, or lost luggage. Primary rental coverage is huge, I can't count the number of times a car rental company sends me a letter a month after the trip demanding payment for supposed damage to the vehicle. I just email the letter to Chase and they take care of all charges, no need to deal with auto insurance company at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 11:33 AM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
fluffythewondercat (the poster who made that comment to Serious Conversation (the young guy)) is actually retirement age.

And you're still missing the point. I'm 56. Since 2005 I've made 4 health-related travel insurance claims. Only one of them was because I personally developed a health issue. The other three were because my aging parents had sudden, unpredictable health problems come up either just before or during a trip, necessitating big, costly changes to the trip itinerary (and once, a medical evacuation). The one time I had to file on my own behalf it was because I got food poisoning the evening before I was scheduled to go on a $2,000 back-country horsepacking trip; after a night spent exploding from both ends I was in no fit shape to ride. I don't know of any diet or fitness routines that will stave off food poisoning, do you?

At my current age, I plan every trip assuming I may have to cancel or interrupt the trip on a moment's notice, because my parents ate ages 83 and 84 ARE decrepit. I'm also more aware of just how quickly and unexpectedly an accident can happen. Most people in their early 30s aren't yet thinking like that - but that's because of their general lack of experience and their youthful vigor. fluffythewondercat was simply reminding Serious Conversation that his current perspective will change as he ages.
So what, exactly, happens at the magical age of 60? THAT was my point. Which you are missing.

I am fully aware of all the circumstances that could interrupt a trip. That had nothing to do with my question. “60” means nothing. Everyone’s situation is different. My parents are older than yours, but if I was halfway around the world, I’d have to think hard before cutting that trip short due to their issues. I have two sibs and they would be the ones to deal with it. Yes more things happen the older you are, but we don’t fall off a cliff at 60.

I am not, and was not, contesting the advice to purchase trip insurance. That is a no-brainer today...for EVERYONE.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Personally, the thought of being stuck on a cruise ship for a week gives me the creeps.

After all the stories of ships infected with norovirus, people puking over the rails, rocking ships and filthy cabins, I can't understand the attraction.

A week of gluttony and excessive drinking is not my idea of a fun vacation.
LOL. That doesn’t appeal to me either!! But our cruises did not consist of that. Quick healthy breakfast, an early morning run on the deck, off the boat at docking for an adventure on the island, and back ( barely!) in time to shower and change for a late formal (and delicious!!) dinner with the most amazing friends that we made. Workouts in the casual dinner nights. No bar tab on the ship. No gambling. No gluttony. Lots and lots of fun and sightseeing on each island. I am looking forward to the next one.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:59 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
^^^^Sshhhhh!^^^ Don't tell Vision67, we'll just keep reality our little secret. More room on the ship for us.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:24 PM

7,292 posts, read 4,145,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So what, exactly, happens at the magical age of 60? THAT was my point. Which you are missing.
I'm not missing it, because there IS no point to miss. Fluffy could just have easily said "age 50" or "age 70" to make her point; she picked age 60 simply because it's about double Serious Conversation's current age. She was simply pointing out to him that his youth is blinding him to the true risks in this case. You're the only one commenting in this thread who's attributed some special significance to the specific number she happened to choose.

Quote:
I am not, and was not, contesting the advice to purchase trip insurance. That is a no-brainer today...for EVERYONE.
Tell that to Serious Conversation, as he's still not convinced people really need it, at least not if it costs more than $100 or so. I hope he doesn't find himself learning this particular lesson the hard way should he ever travel abroad (even if it's just a "short and very safe" Caribbean cruise).

Old 06-06-2019, 03:21 PM

2,066 posts, read 699,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Having trip insurance and actually not having to fight the insurance company to process a claim are different things and some companies will make it difficult for you. Always use the best travel credit card to book everything, I suggest the Chase Sapphire Reserve:
Wow- I'd been turning my nose up at cards with a $450 annual fee but this one might make sense. Unfortunately it won't save me buying insurance on my trip to Hawaii because you have to have paid for travel using the card and I just made the last payment on the cruise and have already purchased airfare. Still, if I can find a decent one-off policy with good Medical coverage for the times I leave the country, this might be a good option since it covers everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. That doesn’t appeal to me either!! But our cruises did not consist of that. Quick healthy breakfast, an early morning run on the deck, off the boat at docking for an adventure on the island, and back ( barely!) in time to shower and change for a late formal (and delicious!!) dinner with the most amazing friends that we made. Workouts in the casual dinner nights. No bar tab on the ship. No gambling. No gluttony. Lots and lots of fun and sightseeing on each island. I am looking forward to the next one.
Depends in the cruise line and depends on the travelers. The small-ship cruises I've taken have no formal dinner nights at all (a plus for me) and I've never run into an All-U-Can-Eat or a Party-till-U-Puke passenger.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:14 PM

13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Quote:
  • Trip cancellation/interruption insurance covers prepaid non-refundable travel expenses such as tours, fares and hotels up to $10,000 per trip.
  • Trip delay reimbursement covers expenses such as meals and lodging for flight delays more than six hours or requiring overnight stay up to $500 per ticket.
  • Lost luggage is covered up to $3,000 per passenger, including checked baggage and/or carry-on baggage.
  • Baggage delay insurance for essentials, such as clothing and toiletries, for bags delayed up to six hours at $100 a day for five days.
  • Auto rental primary coverage for up to $75,000 for theft and collision damage on rental cars in the U.S. or abroad.
  • Emergency medical or dental expenses covered up to $2,500 if you are 100 miles or more away from home.
  • Travel accident insurance for up to $1,000,000 when you pay for travel via air, bus, train or cruise with your card.
Luckily I haven't had to be medivac'ed but I've used many of the features before, and they cover everyone that I purchased the trip for. You fly enough you will have delays, or lost luggage. Primary rental coverage is huge, I can't count the number of times a car rental company sends me a letter a month after the trip demanding payment for supposed damage to the vehicle. I just email the letter to Chase and they take care of all charges, no need to deal with auto insurance company at all.
Good to know. Chase Business Ink doesn’t have Emergency Evacuation/Transportation, but you are still out $590k in this case.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:21 PM

3,247 posts, read 842,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I just read in my local news how a man and his wife went on a cruise only to have him have a heart attack while on the cruise. It's a long article and you can read it if you go to syracuse.com. He had to take an air ambulance to a hospital here in US (I think FL) which required a $36,000 retainer fee. Once all was said and done, his total bill was over $650,000. His medical insurance is refusing payment, as well as any other insurance he may have had for the trip.

Just a bit of food for thought before going on a nice cruise before (or during) retirement.
Hire an attorney if the insurance refuses payment. I think all insurance has a protocol to automatically charges above a certain amount.

Make sure you have your funds in an account that cannot be raided by creditors, and is safe in bankruptcy.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:22 PM

3,247 posts, read 842,766 times
Quote:
I have this exact card. Good to know!

Old 06-06-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Depends in the cruise line and depends on the travelers. The small-ship cruises I've taken have no formal dinner nights at all (a plus for me) and I've never run into an All-U-Can-Eat or a Party-till-U-Puke passenger.
I absolutely love formal dining. Obviously, not everyone does.
Carnival Cruises are most likely what inspires the "tacky" impressions that people have. I would not go on a Carnival cruise if you paid me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or