Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:44 AM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

you could put 6400 dollars of earnings in a traditional or just 5k in a roth with 1400 going for taxes in the 22% bracket .

most never allow for all the taxes they paid up front in a roth when comparing and so all that extra compounding on the larger amount is not calculated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 11:54 AM

1,489 posts, read 793,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you could put 6400 dollars of earnings in a traditional or just 5k in a roth with 1400 going for taxes in the 22% bracket .

most never allow for all the taxes they paid up front in a roth when comparing and so all that extra compounding on the larger amount is not calculated .
100% agreed!

Old 06-07-2019, 12:04 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
You don't pay taxes on the contributions.

The only thing that you are not taxed on are HSAs. It's pre-tax (or tax deducted), tax-free growth, and tax-free when used (for healthcare expenses).

Old 06-07-2019, 12:09 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my opinion is roths should have non taxable rmd's after 70-1/2... they should be treated like traditional's at 70-1/2 where whether you pay taxes up front or along the way it should have nothing to do with what happens at 70-1/2 ... they should even it up by making both have to be emptied over a lifetime

I agree with you and I have said for a long time that Roth is a fantastic inheritance tool for all these reasons. I don't plan on touching my Roth so think about how much is in the account after building it for 60 years and then passing it to your grandchild who has a lifetime to withdraw from that tax free in entirety.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Why not now? Convert while taxes are discounted 3%.

And I was referring to marginal rate, not average rate. Sure, 12% average is fine, it every dollar AFTER that AGI is taxed at 22% today, 25% after 2025. That’s what counts.

The reason why I am converting my IRA to Roth now (ie, over the next 3 years) is because of the confluence of favorable factors: (1) I am 59, so this is really the final time for Roth conversion to be meaningful to me in terms of enough years left for tax-free growth of money in the Roth (I do not need to leave inheritance, and plan to use withdrawals from the Roth if I live well past 80), (2) I am old enough to have taken care of other retirement income, so can finally work very little, which allows for Roth conversion without bumping me into the >33% tax bracket (which would happen if I worked more than a couple of months per year - the reason why I could not do any Roth conversion earlier, when I worked more), and (3) as you say, tax rates are favorable right now for Roth conversion. The only element that is missing is that the stock market is still very high... if it is going to crash, it would be nice for me if it did that this year and the next :-). I wouldn't mind if my SEP IRA lost 50% of its value by this December (as it did in 2009) because then I would have to pay only half of the taxes on the Roth conversion :-).

Old 06-07-2019, 12:42 PM

1,489 posts, read 793,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
The only thing that you are not taxed on are HSAs. It's pre-tax (or tax deducted), tax-free growth, and tax-free when used (for healthcare expenses).
You don't pay taxes on IRA contributions, they are tax deductible. traditional IRA contributions are tax deferred and are taxed when distributed, Roth IRA contributions are made after taxes are paid but are not taxed when distributed.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:44 PM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
to set the record straight , roths have the taxes paid up front since it has to be funded with after tax money . traditionals are not tax free they are tax deferred

Old 06-07-2019, 03:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
I have a pension so am screwed anyway, but a Roth can let you avoid paying income tax on up to 85% of your SS. That's huge. If you can figure out how to keep your taxable retirement income low, do it.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:43 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
It is important to note - not all IRA are not taxed up front, many can only make a non-deductible contribution. With a non-deductible IRA the better choice almost always skews in favor of the Roth.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:06 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
It is important to note - not all IRA are not taxed up front, many can only make a non-deductible contribution. With a non-deductible IRA the better choice almost always skews in favor of the Roth.
Correct. If your income does not allow the deduction of contribution to traditional IRA... then I can't think of ANY advantage over Roth, and there is no reason to leave in traditional. In fact, it would seem foolish to leave in traditional and get taxed someday, missing out on tax free growth in the Roth.

(I am open to someone pointing out what I am overlooking in that analysis, however. Bueller..... Bueller??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement