U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 08:28 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times

Advertisements

Another dumb a*s study. If you exercise and wave your body in fake martial arts poses, you are probably healthier than most and less likely to fall.

We will never see the end of this sort of nonsense because there will always be those who are tuned into making money from these activities and writing about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 PM

9,152 posts, read 3,005,463 times
People of all ages fall, due to unfortunate circumstances. But if an older person falls, it's attributed to their age. Everyone has to be careful and watch their step at all times or they might suffer severe injuries and disability. I conducted classes in adaptive physical education, to help people learn ways to work around their impairments. So many of them were young people, who had suffered spinal breaks, during falls. Don't wait until you're retirement age, to start taking precautions when moving around.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
People of all ages fall, due to unfortunate circumstances. But if an older person falls, it's attributed to their age. Everyone has to be careful and watch their step at all times or they might suffer severe injuries and disability. I conducted classes in adaptive physical education, to help people learn ways to work around their impairments. So many of them were young people, who had suffered spinal breaks, during falls. Don't wait until you're retirement age, to start taking precautions when moving around.
Older people tend to become fall more often than younger people. Their balance is more likely to be off. While everyone should be careful, as people become older, they must take more care.

Quote:

Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,529,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Another dumb a*s study. If you exercise and wave your body in fake martial arts poses, you are probably healthier than most and less likely to fall.

We will never see the end of this sort of nonsense because there will always be those who are tuned into making money from these activities and writing about them.
And your credentials for making this criticism are . . . ??????

Old 06-04-2019, 10:55 PM

160 posts, read 89,212 times
My mother fell and broke her hip when she was 85 by getting up too quickly from her lounge chair. She seemed to recover well after rehab and doing her pt exercises.

Two years later though she was walking through a public space and someone came up behind her either walking or running and tripped right next to her bringing her down falling on top of her....a bizarre accident! Her leg was broken as well as her neck. The doctor said that her neck was shattered like a mirror due to the fall and advanced osteoporosis. This recovery has taken much longer and she will never fully recover. She needs the help of aides but at 92 she's doing fairly well and after having to wear a neck brace for over a year she only needs it occasionally now.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:18 PM

3,491 posts, read 1,916,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

That's not the way a study works, as you should well know.

"Weight-bearing exercise such as walking; balance exercises; and resistance exercises to strengthen muscles can also reduce risks for falls, said Dr. Marco Pahor of the University of Floridaís aging and geriatric research department, who wrote an accompanying journal editorial.

The program studied in the second study involved exercises three times a week at home for a year, with five sessions led by a physical therapist. These include seated and standing leg lifts, knee bends and backward walking, plus walking half an hour at least twice weekly.

Participants were 344 Canadian adults aged 70 and older who had experienced a recent fall. Half were randomly assigned to the program plus usual care by a doctor; the remainder received only usual care.

There were 236 falls during the study among the exercise group compared with 366 falls among the others."

Old 06-04-2019, 11:50 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
The article emphasizes that medications play a large part in fall risk.

All the exercises and health care in the world can't overcome that risk factor.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:05 AM

2,097 posts, read 715,328 times
This really hits home. A bad fall can be the beginning of the end. My late husband slipped on ice years ago when he was in his late 60s. The resulting subdural hematoma left him with "dystopia" in his left foot- he couldn't sense where it was. That, of course, made him even more vulnerable to falls and he had another one with another subdural hematoma a few years later. Steps were a real worry and when we downsized the top criterion was at least 2 bedrooms on the main floor. Occasionally one of us couldn't sleep or would be awakened by the other's snoring, and it was downright dangerous for DH to be going upstairs to the spare BR in the middle of the night.

Balance- yes. My late mother said that one day you wake up and your balance is gone, and you should do everything you can not to lose it.

Dad is now 88 and was having falling issues. My sister, a doctor, suggested he get off of one of his meds and now he's not falling anymore. (I'm sure that my sister was aware of what that med was supposed to treat and was satisfied that there would be no bad effects if he discontinued it, and Dad informed the prescribing doctor.)

I'm 66 and in very good shape. I still cling to handrails on stairs and always make sure that, no matter where I'm sleeping, there's an unobstructed and visible path to the bathroom since I tend to get up in the middle of the night once or twice. I've also got BP at the low end of normal, which means that I have to get out of bed slowly and carefully. I forgot that once the evening after I donated blood and ended up in the floor. Oops.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 AM

2,448 posts, read 1,065,316 times
A friend's dad, mid-80's, fell (fainted) in his apt. Off to the hospital for 3 days, found nothing, but after 3 days in bed he was so weak, off to rehab. Where they did nothing for him except to max out his benefits. Now he is in a SNF. A very fast downhill slide.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 AM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
I moved out of a winter c!image because of two bad falls in the snow and ice. They were both scary and painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or