U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:03 PM

830 posts, read 295,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes, if we are older, we are just one bad fall away from disaster. Walking a track in a gym saved my life. A couple of years ago, a truck almost backed into me in a parking lot. I was able to hop to the side and backwards. The truck stopped about an armís length from me. Had I not hopped back I could have been knocked down, at the very least. It all happened very fast, and I am not sure if the driver ever saw me.

I started a thread in the retirement forum about age proofing oneís house. I think we elders should make our homes and yards as safe as possible. But we need to work our bodies as well, to maintain safe mobility for as long as we can.
Every day I think about falling, because I have fallen several times, and can't get up. I try to be careful, but I know accidents are accidents and not planned for. I have a walker and a cane. But again, I know I can trip any time with or without a cane and a walker. For instance, using my walker to get into the building, there is a ramp. I know I can lose my balance and down I go. So I just keep hoping I won't fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Older people tend to become fall more often than younger people. Their balance is more likely to be off. While everyone should be careful, as people become older, they must take more care.
Right. Meds, too, can make people dizzy esp. anti hypertensive drugs, anti anxiety drugs and sleeping meds and even stronger antihistamines. Older people can't eliminate the meds as quickly, kidney and liver metabolism slower plus less muscle mass. Sometimes cognitive issues are exacerbated w/ meds, more disorientation and falls. I've seen a lot of dehydration, too. People don't drink enough. None of us do, but as you age, you've got to hydrate to avoid dizziness and overall weakness. Older people get dehydrated a fair amt. of time.

Falling at 30 and falling at 90, well much different damage including at its worst broken hips and pelvises mostly. Some broken feet (metatarsals). I've also seen broken arms once in a while and subdural hematomas once in a while.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-05-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 10:57 AM

6,344 posts, read 3,574,336 times
My 70 year old husband recently fell lodged in small space between the bathtub and toilet bowl. He's 6'1 and 225 lbs. Not much 5'1 and 100 lb. me could do to help him. Held him under his arms while he leaned on tub pulling himself up. Very frightening.

Not necessarily his age, but his Parkinson's more likely. He is having trouble now just walking and climbing up stairs. This made him make an appointment for physical therapy. Good. Can only help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or