U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 11:00 AM

47 posts, read 12,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
To veer away from music a bit but sticking to the topic.
(figures are average)

The year was 1976....

-mortgage rates were 9%
-CD rates were 10%
-price of a new home $50K
-min wage was $2.30/hour

And tuition was $65 per quarter at the PAC8 (it was still 8 back then) university I attended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 12:04 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Michael Jackson when he was still Michael!
Big fave of mine. I had the 45 record, still do. I liked the flip side song too.

1976, I was 11, babysitting a 2 year old girl Tina, her mom was pregnant. I watched Tina when her mom had the baby too. Back when 11 year olds were more mature.

Tina was listening to Donny and Marie; they were all the rage due to their TV show. According to Google, the album Tina had was 1976, Donny and Marie songs from their TV show. Album was purple of course (it was Donny's favorite color), had a pic of them dancing on the cover.

Funny you should bring up Donny Osmond while we're talking about "Ben." It brought up a little memory from the past. Remember when Donny Osmond got mad that Michael Jackson had a hit song with this? Apparently the song had been written for Donny, but he wasn't able to do it. It was the theme song for a movie, and had to be recorded at a certain time that he couldn't commit to. Michael stepped in, had a hit, and Donny got all ticked off. I remember standing in line at the Grand Union, reading all about it day after day while I waited to buy groceries. And I remember thinking how funny it was to have these two bubblegum singers (and millionaires) fighting over a love song to a rat.

Wow, can't believe I remember a thing like that all these years later.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:09 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Let's not forget a song by one of the greatest groups ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijpcUv-b8M

Then there's this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re61B8sKQWk

Old 06-06-2019, 12:11 PM

3,315 posts, read 640,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Let's not forget a song by one of the greatest groups ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijpcUv-b8M
Good times!

Old 06-06-2019, 01:13 PM

2,134 posts, read 524,377 times
My pick for '76?

Yvette & Yvonne Sylvander.

https://www.si.com/vault/issue/44318/0

Old 06-06-2019, 02:12 PM

773 posts, read 839,621 times
Who of course couldn't forget these?

https://historycollection.co/26-phot...l-celebration/

Too bad the Olympics were in Canada that year.

ABC was the king of TV, especially with Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Charlie's Angels with Farrah, and Welcome Back Kotter. The first VCRs came on the market in many places, but they cost a fortune at the time to most (several grand in today's money), and those early tapes could only record one hour at a time, at a cost of about $75 in today's dollars. HBO and Showtime were subregional services that subscribed by the thousands and "cable TV" was mostly associated with rural areas that could only pick up one or two regular channels. As it is, it's the "peak year" of how most people portray the '70s decade; in fact it was the only full year between Vietnam and the first video gaming systems that weren't just Pong clones.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:04 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Once my home gets renovated, I'd love to invite like minded people over who remember music from different years - have a 1976 night (for example) - nothing fancy - just come over - we can sit around and listen to the music of that year and talk about it.

People could just wear jeans. It would be about the music and have each person bring a memory - a picture, a story, something like that.

Kind of like a game night but music.

Do you think people would be interested?
Cool idea. You’d have to pick years based on invitee ages. For me, songs from the early 60s through the late 90s would all elicit memories, but the most special ones would definitely be from the years when I was in my late teens through early 30s.

You could even serve foods popular during a particular year, if they are still available. Twice-baked potatoes with an array of fillings for the early 80s?

Old 06-06-2019, 08:12 PM

5,154 posts, read 8,684,984 times
Smile Great idea on the food!

I think most people who like music remember from age 13 to around 25 to 30.

Their teen years especially though. My husband grew up at the same time and knows all the words too - you haven't even thought of a song in 50 years; you hear it and remember every verse.

My brother and I loved music. My 2 sisters could have cared less and they are the creative ones.

My dad was in the restaurant business and from time to time, he'd bring a big name in but they were for the generation ahead of me but still I met a couple of people. I always wanted him to bring in a group but it wasn't that kind of place!

I went to school in Fort Lauderdale and would stay with friends, go to concerts or he would drop us off.
We had one scary moment but otherwise, it was all good.

I even tagged along with one of my parents' friends' kids to THAT Hendrix concert (I was 11) and my mom was none the wiser. You couldn't see anything. So many people. Dinner Key Auditorium, Miami.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Michael Jackson when he was still Michael!
Big fave of mine. I had the 45 record, still do. I liked the flip side song too.

1976, I was 11, babysitting a 2 year old girl Tina, her mom was pregnant. I watched Tina when her mom had the baby too. Back when 11 year olds were more mature.

Tina was listening to Donny and Marie; they were all the rage due to their TV show. According to Google, the album Tina had was 1976, Donny and Marie songs from their TV show. Album was purple of course (it was Donny's favorite color), had a pic of them dancing on the cover.

I was into Andy Gibb. His death 10+ years later still breaks my heart. I actually dated a guy who looked like Andy's twin. Wish I could recall his name.
My first concert was The Osmonds! I was about 12 years old

Old 06-06-2019, 09:07 PM

3,172 posts, read 1,983,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I went to school in Fort Lauderdale and would stay with friends, go to concerts or he would drop us off.
We had one scary moment but otherwise, it was all good.

I even tagged along with one of my parents' friends' kids to THAT Hendrix concert (I was 11) and my mom was none the wiser. You couldn't see anything. So many people. Dinner Key Auditorium, Miami.

Remember the concerts in Greynolds Park? I saw Iron Butterfly play InaGodaDavida there. There was The Cream, Vanilla Fudge, you could go to Miami Beach to"The Image" and see ten bands play for 6 bucks. First time I saw Jimi, Janis, hellavua concert! Great memories. I grew up in Miami

In '76, I was in Hollywood Ca. Went to Starwood, Filthy MsNasties, and Whiskey a go go. (clubs) The bands there were Barry White (met him) Ten Years After, The Doors, (I arrived in Ca. in '72) etc.

It was a wonderful time. Thanks for the OP for starting this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or