U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 03:16 PM

5,841 posts, read 8,599,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
For me, the musical highlight of 1976 was the Earth Wind & Fire concert in New Haven that October. Musically it was not a great year. Soft-rock icon the Bee Gees went disco. Basically rock music, in hindsight, had reached its peak a few years earlier and in 1976 rigor-mortis was setting in.

From the point of view of weather it was depressing. The shift to the so-called "warm phase" of the El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO) began, paving the way for the 30 year warmup the gave fodder to the Climate Change fanatics. New York City barely had a summer, hitting 96° during a three-day April heat wave, the only real heat that summer. There was barely any snow to speak of.

Personally, that year featured the decimation of much of my academic career, with a D+ in Chem 208 and a slew of other bad grades. And disco didn't help the depressing mood.
I've had some years that I remember less than fondly, but for me, 1976 brings happy memories. I liked a lot of the music at the time, though I recognize that a lot of it wasn't great music.

I don't remember 1976 weather one way or another. I do remember Easter was very hot that year. I remember a pleasant summer. The following year had a cold and snowy winter and very hot summer.

1976 was the year that I really started to grow up and gain freedom. I will always think of it as a good year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 03:50 PM

5,020 posts, read 3,207,482 times
Chicago....If you leave me now

Wild Cherry.....Play that funky music

Bee Gees.....You should be dancing (That was when Andy Gibb was still alive)

Bellamy Brothers.......Let your love flow

Too many to list really.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:56 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Was in 1st grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You retired at a young age!

LOL hey, Kindergarten can really take it outta ya.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:00 PM

394 posts, read 156,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
And the album this song came from spent 115 weeks on the Billboard 200. I was working in an art gallery in West Hollywood, a spinoff of Casablanca Records and Filmworks. Someone brought this CD in. I fell in love.

Ladies and gentlemen, Boz Scaggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIu0jQ5TaRQ

Post your picks from the year 1976.
Love it! In 1976, I was 20.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:01 PM

15,753 posts, read 14,989,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Compare the beginning of your song vs. this one, released in 1969. I was expecting this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srbrdZ_EhWo
(Obviously I don't know my years)
Interesting. There's a thread on the music sub-forum about Led Zeppelin using the music of another band, Spirit, in the beginning of "Stairway to Heaven."

Does It Matter If Led Zeppelin Stole 'Stairway to Heaven'?

Old 06-08-2019, 05:18 PM

15,844 posts, read 6,238,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I've had some years that I remember less than fondly, but for me, 1976 brings happy memories. I liked a lot of the music at the time, though I recognize that a lot of it wasn't great music.

I don't remember 1976 weather one way or another. I do remember Easter was very hot that year. I remember a pleasant summer. The following year had a cold and snowy winter and very hot summer.

1976 was the year that I really started to grow up and gain freedom. I will always think of it as a good year.
You are remembering correctly. It reached, I believe, 104° in July 1977 and a week before that we had the blackout. My complaint about weather was what we did not see, the "Great Pacific Shift." That screwed things up starting around 1984.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:30 AM

857 posts, read 197,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
And the album this song came from spent 115 weeks on the Billboard 200. I was working in an art gallery in West Hollywood, a spinoff of Casablanca Records and Filmworks. Someone brought this CD in. I fell in love.

Ladies and gentlemen, Boz Scaggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIu0jQ5TaRQ

Post your picks from the year 1976.
I first heard of him '77 when my older brother (senior in high school) went to see him in concert in Germany ---have enjoyed his music over the years. He was in my town (Tampa) this past year - kicking myself for not going out to see him. Seeing Frampton (and Dave Matthews Band) later this year though - used to love going to concerts. Not so much anymore. Not sure exactly why - kind of a hassle with the whole getting there, parking, getting in, $16 beers, etc. Oh yeah, I think Boz's concert was something like $75/crappy seat so I think that was it. I do have a huge DVD collection w/ my fav all-time bands/singers though - watch them a lot ---including Boz Scaggs' performances.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:53 AM

602 posts, read 259,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
A Rush classic via Jensen Triaxials and a Pioneer SuperTuner.
Hah! I had those.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:17 AM

78,749 posts, read 33,503,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting. There's a thread on the music sub-forum about Led Zeppelin using the music of another band, Spirit, in the beginning of "Stairway to Heaven."

Does It Matter If Led Zeppelin Stole 'Stairway to Heaven'?
I noted that I saw Todd Rundgren the other day and he said that the trick to longevity and hit records is knowing what to steal from others.

I watched a documentary the other day about the man that created the song that was basically the groundwork for "The Lion Sleeps tonight". Despite the song making millions he got basically nothing. Died with $10 to his name. His family did end up with a small settlement.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:05 AM

10,666 posts, read 21,336,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I first heard of him '77 when my older brother (senior in high school) went to see him in concert in Germany ---have enjoyed his music over the years. He was in my town (Tampa) this past year - kicking myself for not going out to see him. Seeing Frampton (and Dave Matthews Band) later this year though - used to love going to concerts. Not so much anymore. Not sure exactly why - kind of a hassle with the whole getting there, parking, getting in, $16 beers, etc. Oh yeah, I think Boz's concert was something like $75/crappy seat so I think that was it. I do have a huge DVD collection w/ my fav all-time bands/singers though - watch them a lot ---including Boz Scaggs' performances.
I had priced Guns and Roses a year or so ago, nose bleed seats were over $100. I guess I won't ever see them. They don't make it affordable for fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or