Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 11:38 AM

7,600 posts, read 4,503,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I still love disco.

Not to listen to, but for exercise there's nothing like it.

It does have a tendency to make people run....far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 11:56 AM

446 posts, read 390,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You're right. It was probably a cassette tape. Memory is tricky.

At the time, Neil Bogart was still the head of Casablanca Records, so it would have been the 1976-1979 timeframe. I remember this because when I asked for a raise in the art gallery, HR told me I had to get approval from Neil.

The album was released in 1976, though.
In my 1976 it would have been a 33 1/3 rpm LP, like George Harrison's LP "33 1/3" that was one of my favorites that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUVq...82B492E985EDC8

Others:

Year of the Cat
Ringo's Rotogravure
The Song Remains the Same
Wings At the Speed of Sound
Eagles' Greatest Hits including this classic--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjofshOBV5s

Old 06-14-2019, 04:53 PM

2,415 posts, read 1,483,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
What, no Disco Duck? Disco was coexisting with rock but not yet dominating the scene. I think my favorite was "Don't fear the Reaper," by Blue Oyster Cult. The album I listened to the most, on 8-track, was Aerosmith's "Rocks."
I was listening to Toys in the Attic, of course.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 PM

23,868 posts, read 32,134,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I listened to all of that except Springsteen. Never a fan. Road Runner lol! The Sex Pistols covered that believe it or not.

I was pretty much a fixture at CBGB, Max's and a few other clubs when I took a leave of absence from college for the music scene in NYC.

Huge fan of Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers. He had a big New England cult following.

Have to disagree with you about Bruce Springsteen - he played at my college in Massachusetts in 1974. Four hour concert that I'll never forget. He brought Rock back down to earth and his lyrics were nothing short of poetry.

He brought Rock back down to earth again. Pink Floyd was very popular too. Not my taste. I really didn't love Fleetwood Mac. It was just impossible not to hear it in 1976. I like them more now.

The closest thing to Disco that I heard in 1976 on my campus was David Bowie's "Philadelphia Freedom" and "Young Americans", which I liked in spite of myself.

I remember that Spring driving home through three states those Young Americans ruled the airwaves. I didn't have a tape deck so I was hostage to the radio.

Also very popular but not released that year - The Who "Who's Next", Roxy Music - all albums, Jackson Brown The Grateful Dead, ELO, The Velvet Underground, Mott the Hoople older Bowie, Keith Jarrett, Larry Coryell (sp) John Coltrane The Art Ensemble of Chicago and more Jazz.

No one in my circle was really interested in old Beatles or Stones. I guess that was a quarter generation before us.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:37 PM

23,868 posts, read 32,134,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I listened to all of that except Springsteen. Never a fan. Road Runner lol! The Sex Pistols covered that believe it or not.

Many people covered "Road Runner" But, there's nothing like the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy88-5pc7c8

Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

No one in my circle was really interested in old Beatles or Stones. I guess that was a quarter generation before us.
I don't really know why but I was really into the Beatles during this time. (I was 14-15). Very few of my friends were. I wore out the White Album.

Many years later reconnecting with old friends and the Beatles being respected by everyone then it was one thing they all remembered about me. LOL

Old 06-15-2019, 09:19 AM

446 posts, read 390,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't really know why but I was really into the Beatles during this time. (I was 14-15). Very few of my friends were. I wore out the White Album.

Many years later reconnecting with old friends and the Beatles being respected by everyone then it was one thing they all remembered about me. LOL
I had a friend in the '70s, a few years younger than me, just enough younger to have missed the Beatles, but she had grown up listening to her older brother's Beatles and Stones records. Thanks to him, by the time I met her she had every. single. one. of the Beatles' albums, including some European bootlegs, as well as all the post-Beatles' individual albums, including the ones that I didn't have (I worked for a living; I had to be selective in my record buying). So I spent that part of the '70s getting to hear a LOT of Wings, John Lennon, and Ringo, as well as George's albums that were the ones I bought whether I could afford them or not.

Good music.

Later I moved to Nashville, where my boyfriend of the time and I discovered and rediscovered a whole lot more, very different, but also very good music.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:13 PM

2,871 posts, read 2,033,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I was listening to Toys in the Attic, of course.
Oh yeah...followed shortly by Boston! I joined the USAF, purchased by first car and took my first steps towards a responsible life. But the music...the soundtracks of our lives...that’s what takes me back!

Old 07-08-2019, 06:57 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,234,366 times
Was in the car a few weeks ago, flipping thru the Sirius XM stations, XM 2 I have presets for 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000. I hit the 70's, The DeFranco Family; Heartbeat - It's a Lovebeat was on; wiki says it came out in 1973, I was 8. When I put it on, it wasn't at the beginning but I was able to start singing where ever it started; couldn't believe I remembered all of the song from when I was 8! lol

Old 07-08-2019, 09:40 AM

5,227 posts, read 3,562,897 times
After being a rabid teen rocker for the last half of the 60's, playing in a rock band & going to concerts by almost all of the big names monthly except the Beatles & The Doors... by 1976 I had tired of most of the new variations of R&R by then - I was listening to folk, blues, bluegrass, classic c&w, outlaw country, etc... I just looked at a list of the 120 "top songs" of 1976 & the only tunes I would listen to today: Fleetwood Mac & Boz, maybe some Eagles.

(I did develop a late affection for The Ramones around '77-78 but, to paraphrase Marlene Dietrich's comment about German music: a little Ramones goes a long way!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement