U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2019, 09:33 AM

5,154 posts, read 8,684,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
A guys stereo in ‘76 was more important than his girl friend (practically). Listening to albums, borrowing and lending, taping them if you had a cassette deck. The ‘70’s are still my favorite music era. Three Dog Night (“One”, “Joy to the World”, especially) Rod Stewart, ELP, Elton John, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, I still have all their LPs, and cassettes, about 1000 of each. And listen often to them. I will have to see if I have Silk Degrees.
I saw all these groups in person. Thank God I lived in South Florida b/c they all stopped by somewhere close.

We had the old Hollywood Sportatorium back in the day and the old Orange Bowl stadium was home to many a concert back in the 70's. We would just usually sit on a blanket.

I've gone back and played a lot of these also and realize how good they are.

Back in March 2019, I saw Chuck Negron as part of an oldies show. Apparently, they'd be trying to get him for a long time. He did pretty well. He's almost 77, hard to believe.

I love seeing the original people in the group, just meeting them after the show and saying thanks for all the great music.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 09:40 AM

217 posts, read 70,118 times
I’ve seen a t-shirt that says “ I may be old but I saw all the cool bands”. Husband is a classic rock fan-The Who, Led Zep, Stones, Eric Clapton, ZZ Top, Hendrix, etc.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:41 AM

1,362 posts, read 764,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
And the album this song came from spent 115 weeks on the Billboard 200. I was working in an art gallery in West Hollywood, a spinoff of Casablanca Records and Filmworks. Someone brought this CD in. I fell in love.

Ladies and gentlemen, Boz Scaggs.

Post your picks from the year 1976.

Fluffy --
If your Cable Service carries the AXS Channel, you can catch Boz on the Dan Rather Big Interview show next week. It looks like he has aged well, compared to some of his contemporaries......

Boz Scaggs Meets With Dan Rather on The Big Interview | June 11 | AXS TV

Old 06-05-2019, 10:18 AM

262 posts, read 377,583 times
The seventies was a great time to be a teen. Awesome music, great memories. I remember when Van Halen's debut came out, we listened to the entire album in my friends cousin's cadillac convertible. We ended up at another friends house where we heard it again a few more times. We were all in high school and we all had the flu that day.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:23 AM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Note: It only works if you do it when creating your post. It doesn't seem to work if you go back to Edit a post and try to add the video in. It will only show a link.
Let me try it again here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kyHnPiA7Yc

Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 AM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Nope, for some reason, I can't embed videos in my posts. It's never worked for me, just thought there was some magic trick. Maybe it doesn't work on a Mac?

Old 06-05-2019, 10:37 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Jeez. Boz Scaggs was something you had to listen to in a girl's dorm room on a cheap stereo to get laid. Up there with Barry Manilow. Gag!

In 1976, I was mostly listening to fusion jazz and reggae.

It's funny. Now, the 1976 music I listen to is mostly funk. I completely missed the genre at the time other than the few that made it to top 40s like "Play that funky music, white boy".

Old 06-05-2019, 11:02 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Jeez. Boz Scaggs was something you had to listen to in a girl's dorm room on a cheap stereo to get laid. Up there with Barry Manilow. Gag!

In 1976, I was mostly listening to fusion jazz and reggae.

It's funny. Now, the 1976 music I listen to is mostly funk. I completely missed the genre at the time other than the few that made it to top 40s like "Play that funky music, white boy".
How someone can liken Boz Scaggs to Barry Manilow is beyond me. How anyone could think playing Barry Manilow would get a girl to have sex with you is also beyond me.

But, since the real point of your post was to tell us how much cooler and ahead of the game you were musically in 1976, we tip our hat to your extra special coolness.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:03 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Nope, for some reason, I can't embed videos in my posts. It's never worked for me, just thought there was some magic trick. Maybe it doesn't work on a Mac?
Huh. Maybe. You could ask in About The Forum. Someone there might know.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:15 AM

1,362 posts, read 764,777 times
The mid-70's was really an inflection point in music. The Beatles broke up and the Rolling Stones couldn't fill the void. You just have to look at the best selling albums of the year -- in the early 70's it was Bridge over troubled waters, and Jesus Christ Superstar and Elton John. In the later part of the decade, we started to hear from Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac and Bruce Springsteen.

By the 1990's CD/Album sales would regularly top 7 - 8 million units. Those kinds on sales numbers attracted a lot of over-produced acts with minimal talent -- who could forget those Boy Bands and their choreography.

In the new millennium, recording your music became much easier in the digital world. Artists found they could produce, promote and profit from their songs without everybody in the Recording Industry having a hand in their pockets. Consumers no longer heard a song on the FM Radio and rushed out to the Record Store to buy the entire album. If we heard a single song that we liked....we streamed it, ripped it, or made a cassette copy from a friend. Oh the horrors -- Record Company Moguls starving in the Streets !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or