Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,551 times

Advertisements

We had our home built 16 years ago with everything anyone would want to raise a family.

It's a large center hall colonial complete with a wrap around porch. We have plenty of room when the kids come home or we have visitors. Last year we had our siblings who live in North Carolina stay with us during the hurricane evacuation.

The porch is a big part of the look of our house. We put up red, white and blue buntings all the way around for holidays. We have hanging flower baskets there now. Halloween it gets decorated with lighted hanging jack-o-lanterns. For Christmas it gets the full traditional garland and red bows look.

There are homes in our town that are over 200 years old and we wanted to respect that look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
We had our home built 16 years ago with everything anyone would want to raise a family.

It's a large center hall colonial complete with a wrap around porch. We have plenty of room when the kids come home or we have visitors. Last year we had our siblings who live in North Carolina stay with us during the hurricane evacuation.

The porch is a big part of the look of our house. We put up red, white and blue buntings all the way around for holidays. We have hanging flower baskets there now. Halloween it gets decorated with lighted hanging jack-o-lanterns. For Christmas it gets the full traditional garland and red bows look.

There are homes in our town that are over 200 years old and we wanted to respect that look.
That is awesome. It is also in a very nice area too. Hudson Valley is just west of me. To build a home and do it in a way to fit in with the neighborhood is grand and with that in a 200 year old tradition is commendable.

We felt the same when we built our home here in central Massachusetts. We picked a style we liked from among the many here and in grand fashion customized it with heated floors. It is essentially set up for single floor living. Even with our mother in law we have 2 full baths and both of our bedrooms is on the first floor. But it easily expandable with 3 bedrooms 1 bath and a family entertainment room. It is too big to easily maintain but we have a clean lifestyle. When we first built it I said it was where I was staying and I do believe I will until I can no longer clear the driveway.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Great answers, and completely in line with my thinking! (I have probably run out of reps to hand out now, though!)

Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
My home's style is about the same as my 'style'. I could care less about style. My home is a safe, warm place to lay my head down. And that just gave me insight into why we're currently on a multi-month drive around the country. Our trailer is a safe, warm place to lay our heads down. And to see more of this country, while we're at at it. :-D

Old 06-04-2019, 10:29 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
My two homes that I have owned were traditional style and built in 1940 and 1962. I would love a more vintage home but these are hard to come by in my town. My wooden furniture is mostly high country antiques (aka formal country) with a mixture of Santa Fe style and antique decorative touches and art. For practicality, my next retirement home in a new location is likely to be smaller and newer, more energy efficient, have updated kitchen and baths, and be less expensive to maintain. But I am hoping for some traditional or rustic touches to accommodate my antiques as I refuse to give these up. However if vintage homes are in my price range in that location, I may not be able to resist and will end up with another money pit.
We're cut from the same cloth.

I lived in the South in the past and had a series of 1920s homes with character, then an MCM home, then a pueblo revival bungalow when we moved to Santa Fe. ABQ is a tough market, though, if you want unique details in your home and aren't in the high-end custom/historical budget range. If you want a builder tract home from any decade from the 30s to present, we've got you covered. I got lucky and found a one-off Usonian-style mid-century modern home built in 1954 (think a smaller, simpler version of Frank Lloyd Wright). Very simple rectangular one-level floor plan, original hardwoods throughout, beams and tongue-in-groove ceilings throughout, lots of glass on the south side. It's not intended to be a forever home, but could be with some modifications to the master bath (which are planned within the next few years anyway). While I do have some MCM furniture, I also have some Arts & Crafts pieces I've held onto for years and won't ever get rid of. They work pretty well in this home.

I've got just over 1,600 square feet. I hope to downsize further when I finally retire. I've found that 800-1,200 square feet seems to be the most appealing size for me, a single person who doesn't have overnight guests terribly often. I've considered building so I can get it just right.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
A run down trailer in dirt and weeds. The most miserable place I've ever lived. I would sell my soul to be able to move from this place, and I envy those who are spending their retirement years where they want to be.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:54 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I have a dining table made from 100-year old wood from UK. That’s pretty old to me, in fact, that’s antique to me.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:34 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Our home is best described as a contemporary Craftsman bungalow.

If you drive by and give it a casual glance, you'd think it's decades old.
Built in 2010, ca 1700 sf, it's the best of all worlds: charm, character, great front porch AND back decks; in the historical part of town, abundant windows with great cross breezes, energy efficient, ceiling fans in every room, good wiring for technology and sound (including speakers on the front porch and back deck), open floor plan, custom kitchen cabinets, top of the line countertop, split master, etc etc etc.
Solid, sturdy build.

Color scheme best described as 'warm', which is our preference (we hate the current bland cool gray look); walls & ceilings are a warm taupe-gray. Hardwood floors, basically a 'pecan' color; custom modern contemporary pine shelves and cabinets everywhere, which add a warm glow, and the pièce de résistance: a just-perfect warm green fireplace mantle and surround.

It was love at first sight 2 1/2 years ago. We haven't changed a single thing and don't expect to.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:19 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Pueblo Revival (stucco) with a flat roof, portals and courtyards front and back. A good size for one person with occasional visiting guests (1600 sq. Ft. On 1.3 acres). The three public rooms flow into each other but not like an open plan. High ceiling has viga beams in the living room. Walls are white. I enclosed part of the rear portal for an office. Garage entry is in the rear and not visible from the street. Thermal heat is in the tile floor. No AC but uses evaporative cooling due to extremely low desert humidity. (The high desert climate seldom exceeds 100 degrees and winters are mild). This is fairly typical for New Mexico. Landscaping is native desert plants beyond the courtyards. There is a 1500 gallon goldfish pond in the front courtyard. Wildlife is everywhere.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:22 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
Sungrins, Your house sounds lovely with the viga beams, tile floors, courtyards, and native desert plants. My homes had/have a little bit of a Spanish Mediterranean vibe with exterior white stucco and red tile roof but otherwise no Spanish or southwestern features on the inside or outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement