U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:28 AM

16,349 posts, read 10,334,620 times

Advertisements

mine is best described as hippo chic.

lots of hippos, a few dust bunnies, a cluttered craft room.

Even Chip and Joanna would cringe. and that's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 03:53 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,652,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

You're my kind of person!

Old 06-05-2019, 04:34 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,814,103 times
What is your home's style?-20190423_150814.jpg
Rustic cabin / custom design

Old 06-05-2019, 05:12 AM

1,072 posts, read 807,351 times
One story with an attic for storage as basements aren't easy to dig for where I live.

I guess it could be called a traditional ranch style.

Quiet color on the walls as I HATE sterile. I don't care what's "n" or "out", I have what brings me peace and makes me smile

Open living concept. My days of compartmentalized homes faded years ago.

Nothing that even resembles fancy -- we have 25 acres and horses so there's a lot of outdoor work.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 AM

3,962 posts, read 2,031,931 times
I'm not sure what style my house is, but I call it an expanded cape cod. Originally it was basically a two story home with a utility basement and a small third bedroom that was accessed by a steep staircase from the living room. The second floor was bumped out to become a master bedroom with a 3/4 bath and a large storage room. I basically ignore the second floor except for storing off-season linens and quilts. The glassed-in porch was also added to the original house. The kitchen is very vintage and I have antiques in all the rooms, as I buy all my furniture and accessories at auctions and estate sales - they look nice against the original oak floors and plaster walls. I am keeping this house less cluttered than my old bungalow though.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 AM

563 posts, read 266,261 times
When we sold our house and downsized we bought a mobile home in a 55+ community. It has a white metal roof, white vinyl siding and a Texas room built on. The Texas room can be used year round, it has windows on all sides and a door. We have a few chairs and a table out there, my husband generally drinks his coffee there in the mornings while watching the birds and sometimes after a rain the whistling ducks show up. The bedrooms are located on opposite ends so there is no long hall. We own the lots just like with a house, some people have 2 or 3 lots, we wanted a small yard. We have the back fenced so we can let our 2 little dogs out. In our yard we have a palm tree, orange tree and grow our own bananas. It was built in 1998, no paneling in it, vaulted ceilings, a little over 1200 sq ft. The master bath has a walk-in shower and garden tub. We're going to get a walk in tub put in the 2nd bathroom. The living room and kitchen are open and we have a nice sized island. I would say our furniture and decorating style is pretty traditional. Our artwork is oil paintings of mine and photo's we framed of places we've traveled that we took. I think our home is warm, inviting and we're very happy here.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 AM

900 posts, read 462,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
mine is best described as hippo chic.

lots of hippos, a few dust bunnies, a cluttered craft room.

Who is Chip and Joanna?

Old 06-05-2019, 08:24 AM

18,507 posts, read 9,567,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This is a "just curious" question.

We are in the process of having our retirement home designed and built, and I am noticing that the current trends are, imo, ultra modern -- meaning sleek almost to the point of sterility, almost no clutter, and usually just two or three colors -- whereas we prefer a warmer and more comfortable look, which I guess is now completely out of date.

So, again, just out of curiosity, what is the look of your home now, and do you intend on keeping it or changing it in the years ahead? And if you do think that you will change it, what do you envision?

Thanks!
We bought a sleek and ultra modern home new build 2 years ago....I guess we like sterile. Wife and I both love the house though there are some things she isn't crazy about so we might be selling it.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:06 AM

14,385 posts, read 7,918,717 times
We would never be happy in a modern open concept nightmare. Our house was built in 1911 and has been restored to reflect that genre. I love all of the skeleton keys and that quirky little door that opens to the roof. The light fixtures are antique and there are stained glass lamps and windows along with the leaded windows that are original to the house. We have antique furniture every where, and old phonographs (they all work). Having that 20's Dixieland jazz wafting through the house on a frigid winter night or a balmy summer night just makes me smile. Yeah baby, play me some of that sexy brothel music while I sip some bubbly on the front porch swing and watch the fire flies. I'll never live in anything but an old house.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:25 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,153,939 times
We have bought homes, house furnishings, art objects etc. based on what we like both in forms and functions. This thread prompted me to search web information on house and home styles to see where we fit.

It is easy to identify the styles of the houses we have owned. The first 3 homes are ranch style and the current one is a contemporary. What these 2 styles have in common are ' simple floor plans, efficient living spaces' and 'void of elaborate ornamentation and unnecessary detail'

https://www.bhg.com/home-improvement.../house-styles/

We have always chosen a home with lots of windows and light. Our current home is filled with sunlight from every room. Upstairs, we have large windows providing 270 degree view of the river and mountains from the kitchen, dining, living and master bedroom. The second bedroom with garden view is my husband's office. I have an office area next to the kitchen with 45 degree view of the river and 45 degree view of the garden.

Three quarters of the downstairs also have river/garden view. Only the rec room has no direct windows but still with light from windows along the second entrance staircase to the garden.

We missed out on buying a Japanese style home in Port Townsend, WA. It has even larger windows than our current home typifying Japanese home concept of bringing the outdoor inside.

Our interior design style is much harder to define. Browsing through HGTV's pictures and description of design styles, I found many styles which some elements of our furnishings: Arts/Crafts, Asian, Bohemian, Contemporary, Industrial, Mid Century Modern, Modern, Scandinavian, Southwestern and Transitional. Our home decorating style can be called eclectic even though the picture of the Eclectic style nowhere resembles our home.

https://www.hgtv.com/design/decorati...fined-pictures

What our furnishings have in common are clean, simple, comfortable and functional with geometric influence showing form and natural materials. Stuffy, heavy, dark, ornate,cluttered or busy stuffs are not our cup of tea.

There are many home styles to reflect a homeowner's preference. IMO, a home is where we live and not a showroom so just furnish or decorate it to our taste and not having to worry about the current trend or fads.

Last edited by BellaDL; 06-05-2019 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or