U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:28 AM

6,316 posts, read 3,579,899 times

Advertisements

Folk Victorian. Once a farm now part of a small city. Nice lawn, huge newish garage, flower gardens. Rock garden and goldfish pond.

Four beds/ two baths. A lot of wood moldings and two turning staircases. Good wood floors. We've done nearly all of the work ourselves.

Furniture a combination of antiques, family heirlooms and early marriage junk. Natural decorative items, family memory collections, talented kids' art work. Plants, cats. Everywhere there is meaning and memory. I guess you could call it a fusion of country/bohemian.

It suits us well. DH doesn't worry much about style and is more about function and I'm eclectic to the max. If it's pleasing and evokes memory or meaning I like it around

Last edited by Lodestar; 06-05-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 AM

7,671 posts, read 4,719,031 times
Our new home is in a softened Southwestern/Santa Fe style. No vigas. Everything is on one level. Master suite contains an indoor fountain/water feature that seriously freaks out our cat, a yoga studio, his and hers dressing rooms and a 140 gallon Kohler "Sok" tub that I hate passionately because it's a complete waste of water. "Sok" tub's going bye-bye as soon as I can find a Jacuzzi tub in a form factor that fits the existing enclosure.

Steam shower, wall fireplace next to tub, private enclosed morning patio off the yoga studio. The color scheme is a soothing soft green with Asian motifs. Hardwood floor. Korean Tansu chest. Solid alderwood storage bed with black walnut accents.

Mexican pottery Saltillo tiles throughout part of the house. Hardwood or carpet everywhere else. The archway from the entry into the living room/kitchen is intricately hand-painted in Moroccan motifs. The same designs are echoed in the painted tile in the dining room as well as an enormous trunk in the sitting area. Wine cellar and wine tasting room.

Home theater with a stage for live performances. Six black leather power recliners.

One of the main house's four bedrooms we've converted to be DH's den. The previous owners left behind an enormous solid wood executive desk in the semicircular office (all windows) in the casita. That'll be mine when I get it set up. If you count the Murphy bed in the casita, we have three guest rooms, two with en suites.

Pond with about 16 greedy koi and a couple of overgrown goldfish.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 AM

10,817 posts, read 8,067,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
my husband generally drinks his coffee there in the mornings while watching the birds
^^^
An indoor or outdoor space for this activity is a requirement for any retirement home, regardless of style.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:14 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,156,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
^^^
An indoor or outdoor space for this activity is a requirement for any retirement home, regardless of style.
Absolutely agree! We are avid bird watchers and have half a dozen sitting areas indoor and outdoor for bird watching.

We have not taken many birding field trips since living in this riverfront home surrounded by many trees and shrubs which attract birds. It is truly a birder's paradise. We have just added few more bird friendly trees/shrubs (hawthorne, serviceberry, currant, dogwood etc.) along the trail around the property (all visible from the windows).

This year, I have added 30 or more native wildflower plants and shrubs which attract birds, bees and butterflies in our gardens. My daughter commented that she felt like being in an Italian Villa at our house. it took a lot of work but we have restored our garden's 'bella vista'. We also spent most of last month digging tons of rocks to prepare the soil for our backyard vineyard.

For us, there is no better place on earth to dine than the garden patio area where we can see the river, mountain, flowers, trees, grapevines, bees and butterflies and many species of birds. Some of birds like California quails, hummingbirds, finches, cowbirds are pretty much oblivious to our presence. So we usually dine along with the birds being only few feet away!

Old 06-05-2019, 12:21 PM

12,705 posts, read 14,085,285 times
I am already in what will most likely be my last residence. I've had two small houses, but I opted for a two-bedroom apt. in a bldg about 25 years old.

My bedroom is very bright medium yellow with dark red coving. The other bedroom is my computer room and library and what little wall space is left is painted "Chinese orange", but it is a low-key orange, a little brownish even. The hall, entrance and living room are dark salmon...but it ended up being a bit too pinkish for my taste.

The floors are terrazzo, and I have lots of Turkish and Iranian rugs which I bought when I lived in the eastern Med. The furniture was some handmade stuff I bought from a local carpenter in Cyprus, based supposedly on classic Cypriot designs. I recently turned it in for somewhat nondescript upholstered furniture as the other was no longer comfortable for my arthritic carcass.

There are 3 terraces. The living room has a distance view over the town to the distant mountains. One terrace has a nice side view over another part of town to the sea. The third faces the buildings on the other side of the street, which fortunately are not concrete and glass shoe boxes but slightly whimsical lowrises.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:41 PM

6,579 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Sungrins, Your house sounds lovely with the viga beams, tile floors, courtyards, and native desert plants. My homes had/have a little bit of a Spanish Mediterranean vibe with exterior white stucco and red tile roof but otherwise no Spanish or southwestern features on the inside or outside.
My stucco is going to need attention pretty soon. I figured it would need to be re-stuccoed but the house painting company that did my interior walls said it needs some patching and the hairline cracks sealed and a new coat of paint. I'm new to stucco - never had it before but that sounds like a lot less money. It is dark. almost chocolate brown that I'll probably stay with.

The goldfish pond looked like a cute water fixture when I bought the house. I fell in the pond on the first day and had a hard time getting out. It has turned out to be much more work than I expected but it has grown on me over the years so I'll keep it.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:41 PM

30,685 posts, read 49,462,974 times
Our home is a 'barndominium' all on one floor. The interior is an open floor plan, the only room that is walled up is the bathroom. The ceilings are 12 and 14 foot high. Light wood grain paneling with dark stained wood trim, fixtures are black iron. We have eleven large picture windows [6'W X 3'H] on three sides of the house, which give us a wide peripheral view of the surrounding forest where we live. We heat with a woodstove in the center of the house, it heats water, which circulates to a thermal bank downstairs, which then circulates through the radiant floor. And we have a wood-fired cookstove/oven. We have a large solar array along the driveway that can power our house.

I extended the roof eave out 8' on three sides of the house, and on the fourth side I extended it out 20'. This gives us a covered wrap-round porch and carport.

The interior is about 2400 sq ft, the aerial footprint is around 4900 sq ft.

Our roof is silvery aluminum. The exterior walls are steel with a baked-on enamel finish in dark green.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 PM

13,235 posts, read 6,340,776 times
My husband loves our California room, he sits out there with a pair of very expensive binoculars which he bought years ago in Germany, today it could cost $3000, he can zoom in on the birds closely and the roses too. I need to plant more roses for his enjoyment. It’s also where he naps after lunch.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:36 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,671,079 times
Our style is eclectic and comfortable. Our small pool is the focal point of our back yard with the lanai and three triple sliders opening onto it. It has a pool cage enclosure, so we took the screens off the kitchen windows and use them as a pass through when we eat out there. In hot and humid SWFL, a pool is a wonderful thing.

The magnificent live oak in our front yard is the focal point there, with so much shade and many birds. I was disappointed not to have a house with a huge palm tree in front, but now I wouldn't trade our live oak with its leaves and Spanish moss. For us, there is nothing better than working up a sweat (which takes walking out of the door this time of year) and then taking a dip in the pool or cooling off under the tree.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-05-2019 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 01:52 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
New apartment built last year. Very much the modern, less clutter look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or