U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 08:05 AM

245 posts, read 89,595 times

Advertisements

I guess you'd say we are comfy modern. I don't have a lot of stuff on the walls or decorating the end tables and coffee table. We have two overstuffed couches in the living room with a 75" TV on one wall. We upsized a little bit when we retired. Now we have a one story ranch with wide doorways and door handles rather than knobs. We also have grab bars in the walk in shower. There are handicapped toilets in both bathrooms. We have tried to anticipate anything that might happen in our later years and taken steps to make life in the house easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 08:07 AM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times
When I bought it in December 2009, my best friend who did all my remodeling described it as a "chicken coop".

After four years systematically gutting everything and starting over pretty much reconstructing it from the inside-out, it's a 992 square foot single level cottage. From a personal finance point of view, I should have torn it down and built a new house.

When I remodeled, I kept walker/wheelchair in mind. I widened all the doorways and used pocket doors on all the interior doors. I have a 3'x5' shower that could be converted to roll-in in a couple of minutes.

It was great for one person. When my girlfriend showed up, it's a bit tight. The plan is to add a half bath and convert a slice of the garage into an office/studio.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 AM

287 posts, read 139,614 times
We bought a reclining couch for our family room. Dang I love it. So nice to relax when watching television. We were going to buy reclining chairs but like this better.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:26 AM

103 posts, read 193,887 times
1950's ranch that we have spent the last year remodeling. We move in on Saturday. It is not open concept, and it wasn't possible to rip out walls. At first I was afraid I wouldn't like it (last 3 homes were open), but the more time I've spent there, the more I am embracing it. Our furnishings are a mix of antiques and mid century modern. I have no problem mixing styles. I retired 5/24 and my husband's last day is tomorrow. The moving truck will be here at 7 am Saturday morning. I can't wait to get started on this new journey.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 AM

14,025 posts, read 20,336,588 times
Open concept all the way.
Modern/contemporary.
Plan to spend 20+ more years here.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:02 PM

13,221 posts, read 6,320,879 times
I like open concept house, I had a house with separate rooms and stuff, I like open concept much better. What can I say, I like space, and lots of it. It’s also cheaper to insure, I think that’s one reason why after the housing crash, builders gravitated toward open concept plan.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:13 PM

6,562 posts, read 3,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I like open concept house, I had a house with separate rooms and stuff, I like open concept much better. What can I say, I like space, and lots of it. Itís also cheaper to insure, I think thatís one reason why after the housing crash, builders gravitated toward open concept plan.
I understand why people might like open concept houses. I looked at a few of them and they were sleek and modern and sparse in detail. I just don't want to see my dirty dishes in the sink or my toaster on the counter from my front door or the living room. I'd rather have a house that reveals itself one room at a time...even before you come in the door if possible.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:51 PM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I like open concept house, I had a house with separate rooms and stuff, I like open concept much better. What can I say, I like space, and lots of it. Itís also cheaper to insure, I think thatís one reason why after the housing crash, builders gravitated toward open concept plan.

My house is so small that the only way I was going to fit a real table into it was to remove load bearing walls. I have lots of posts and laminated beams in the house. Fully deployed, I can seat eight but it spills out into the living room. When I remodeled, everything was a puzzle to make it all fit in very limited space.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I understand why people might like open concept houses. I looked at a few of them and they were sleek and modern and sparse in detail. I just don't want to see my dirty dishes in the sink or my toaster on the counter from my front door or the living room. I'd rather have a house that reveals itself one room at a time...even before you come in the door if possible.
Thereís a long hallway in my house, you wonít see anything in the kitchen.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My house is so small that the only way I was going to fit a real table into it was to remove load bearing walls. I have lots of posts and laminated beams in the house. Fully deployed, I can seat eight but it spills out into the living room. When I remodeled, everything was a puzzle to make it all fit in very limited space.

I like your house, it doesn’t look small, it looks cozy. Very good for one person.
My space is too big for one, but I like a larger yard. That comes with bigger house in my area.
I like higher ceiling more than bigger space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or